BMW Talk

I was a Volvo guy for a long time. You learn the vehicle the first go round and then it’s easy to handle the repeats with the others. There are enough rewarding characteristics for owning a bmw that the initial learning curve gets paid off by easier work on the others. I tried to “go bmw” after 3 volvos. I did. RWD, amazing road manners! Man the 328d was all over carmax and the little 328 turbo 4 was a delight to test drive…. But I could not believe the seats (if you didn’t spring for their comfort seats) and the windshield being right at my fingertips. Of course, coming from a Volvo, everyone else’s seats are sub-par but man I couldnt do it, and then got scared of their first generation direct injection. That’s when I discovered the Lexus GS, japans version of a luxury camaro.

volvo exterior rubber starts coming apart at 15 years, just like bmw. But their hoses seem to be far better, dual rubber layers even for coolant. They share a lot of small components such as valves, solenoids, canister parts and pumps, with bmw. We still have one, a 2004, and that interior is as silent as it was 10 years ago when I bought it. Bank vault.

m
I've had a Volvo and a BMW. The Volvo had far better seats (the best seats of any car I've owned) and the BMW handles a lot better. They both require(d) quite a bit of maintenance.

E34's are some of the most reliable vehicles. The 2.5 I6 is rock solid, and very little of the German-specific electrical nightmares. I had many 89-94 525i, of course the manuals were more reliable as the autos were somewhat prone to "limp mode" any time the computer sensed some minor issue. The one V8 I had, a 94 540 automatic, was truly a blast to drive every time I got in it. Unfortunately, I had an electrical issue with the transmission and it required a dramatic and invasive series of tests by either BMW or a seasoned euro mechanic to figure it out.

Just talking about the early 5 series again makes me want another.

I really miss my '95 E34 530i manual, also a V8. Always got comments from people when it was polished. Traded it in because I was worried about the nikasil issue and the black leather interior was brutally hot in the summer.

530i-pauls-car.jpg

E34's are some of the most reliable vehicles. The 2.5 I6 is rock solid, and very little of the German-specific electrical nightmares. I had many 89-94 525i, of course the manuals were more reliable as the autos were somewhat prone to "limp mode" any time the computer sensed some minor issue. The one V8 I had, a 94 540 automatic, was truly a blast to drive every time I got in it. Unfortunately, I had an electrical issue with the transmission and it required a dramatic and invasive series of tests by either BMW or a seasoned euro mechanic to figure it out.

Just talking about the early 5 series again makes me want another.
you missed out

you could’ve had my 95 525i 5spd with 209k miles i just for only 2k. no ac, first gear syncro out, chronic quarter rust, broken door panels, leaking fuel tank jb welded, suspension fully rebuilt with $150 chinese 10pc kit 👍

The reason you see plastics and rubber degrade quickly on European cars is because of EU recycling regulations that require such items to be
more easily reused via recycling. They are more easily processed with their specific composition compared to those same items made in other markets without those regulations. Remember the mid 90s Mercedes Benz plastic wire insulation debacle in the harness cables? Yep this is when those EU regs first came into being.

I really miss my '95 E34 530i manual, also a V8. Always got comments from people when it was polished. Traded it in because I was worried about the nikasil issue and the black leather interior was brutally hot in the summer.

View attachment 64410
Looks a lot like my E39 - same colour, similar wheels (though mine may be a touch wider). Too bad about the Nikasil concern - would likely have been a good engine otherwise. Mine is a straight 6 of course and the 6 cylinder E39s had rack and pinion steering which many think is an advanage.

The reason you see plastics and rubber degrade quickly on European cars is because of EU recycling regulations that require such items to be
more easily reused via recycling. They are more easily processed with their specific composition compared to those same items made in other markets without those regulations. Remember the mid 90s Mercedes Benz plastic wire insulation debacle in the harness cables? Yep this is when those EU regs first came into being.
That wasn't the only one. I had a 95 Ford Contour and they extended the warranty to 100k on the wiring harness because the wiring might be brittle. They had it as the Ford Mondeo in Europe.

View attachment 64410
the engines that had those problems were in the south and died about 25 years ago but the FUD kept spreading until recently. i parted a few v8 cars and all of them had perfect compression. nikasil is superior across the board to alusil. especially if you’re an engineer at porsche

Looks a lot like my E39 - same colour, similar wheels (though mine may be a touch wider). Too bad about the Nikasil concern - would likely have been a good engine otherwise. Mine is a straight 6 of course and the 6 cylinder E39s had rack and pinion steering which many think is an advanage.
the m5 box with the servo set to sport is better hands down

Last edited:
Yep. It initially started in Germany and was then adopted by the EU around the early 2000's.

more easily reused via recycling.
Do these regulations also apply to cars not made in EU but sold in EU? Another words, do Japanese and American cars sold in EU also have these inferior plastics and rubber?

And what about German cars made in US and sold in US? Do they still use these recycle-friendly parts?

I did many hours of work and repairs to my '94 530i while it was a daily driver for my daughter during high school, college and graduate school. On many projects I spent nearly as much on clips, fasteners and holders as I did on the part I was actually replacing. It didn't help that (for me at least) BMW seemed to design a clip or fastener in the most nonintuitive way possible. Only after it was broken did I see how the clip was supposed to be released or removed. My favorite phrase was generally "why would they do that way"?

But don't get me wrong, after she graduated that car became my daily driver for five more years. I loved that car.

I guess growing up driving VWs that required weekly wrenching prepared me for a life of maintaining the current fleet. I've had just about every generation of Jettas and Golfs starting with '86, both gas and diesel. The diesels were far more reliable.

To this day I'd rather enjoy driving and the occasional wrenching on a VW, MB, or BMW than to drive an appliance.

Love the E39, this was mine:
M5Exterior34.jpg

I did many hours of work and repairs to my '94 530i while it was a daily driver for my daughter during high school, college and graduate school. On many projects I spent nearly as much on clips, fasteners and holders as I did on the part I was actually replacing. It didn't help that (for me at least) BMW seemed to design a clip or fastener in the most nonintuitive way possible. Only after it was broken did I see how the clip was supposed to be released or removed. My favorite phrase was generally "why would they do that way"?
But don't get me wrong, after she graduated that car became my daily driver for five more years. I loved that car.
There are many things BMW do well but detailed design and cable management was not one of them, at least in the older vintages. Sumptuous styling, great performance and good ergonomics but take off any interior panel and you're presented with a dog's breakfast.

One of my "extra" cars is a 2001 E39 525i 5-spd with 155k miles and it looks amazing still, truly a pinnacle of automotive build quality. Have had older BMW's with much higher miles and if garage kept they just age better than Japanese/American vehicles in regards to interior/exterior.

Rubber/plastics in the engine bay and suspension will degrade over time as mentioned but the 6 cylinder engines are usually quite stout along with the rest of the drivetrain, especially if manual. Like Porsche, BMW's are designed to be worked on and a lot of the typical maintenance is easy to do in your driveway.

There are many things BMW do well but detailed design and cable management was not one of them, at least in the older vintages. Sumptuous styling, great performance and good ergonomics but take off any interior panel and you're presented with a dog's breakfast.
This was one of the times I took off a few interior panels 😁

A77E7DFE-A7E7-4673-9A2F-B1FBA6678A7D.jpeg

I’ve owned 12 BMWs and I believe that maintaining them properly with OEM quality parts, lubricants, and fluids is absolutely critical. I stick with the I4 and I6 motors and avoid xDrive cars(except for my wife’s X1- she wanted an AWD CUV). The cooling system on my Club Sport has only required a thermostat and one plastic fitting for a heater hose. It required a VC gasket at 25 years and it will eventually need a front main seal, but I’ll likely get around to it in another year or so.
That said, the key takeaway is that BMWs don’t tolerate neglect or cutting corners when it comes to service.
My only gripe is that the cars are getting too big and heavy. When I replace the 2 Series the only BMW I’m considering is an M2C. Other contenders are a Supra 3.0 and a 400Z(assuming the inevitable ADM frenzy dies down in a year or so).

Back