BMW R1150RT oil rating question. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about changing from BMW-brand 20-50 dino oil to Castrol Syntec 20-50 on this bike. BMW specs an SG rated oil for this engine and a service bulletin advises against using anything higher than the SG-rated oil or risk warranty issues. It seems that BMW is really concerned about the reduced amount of ZDDP in the newer (beyond SG) formulations.

I'd like to use the Syntec, but I have concerns that the ZDDP levels are too low. I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons between the ZDDP levels in Syntec compared to the BMW oil that I currently use.

In my limited research, I haven't seen any posts about their BMW motorcycles blowing up after switching to Syntec, so I think I know what the replies to this will look like, but anyway:

Questions:

1. Are the ZDDP levels really different between these oils (SG and SM)?

2. Are ZDDP levels really as important in the boxer engine as BMW would have you believe?

3. Has anyone used the Syntec in their boxer with success over a long period of time?

Thanks in advance!

Most brand name oil companies have a motorcycle oil; the problem is finding it.
Cycle oils have the higher level of ZDDP BMW thinks they need.
Check with the oil analyst threads.

Just because the zinc content wasn't regulated at SG is no gaurentee that it has what bmw is looking for. I don't even think jaso would be a gaurentee either. Like dwendt444 said look at some of the uoa's and voa's posted here. 1200ppm should satisfy bmw.

I've been looking for UOAs for similar bikes--problem is, there ain't any. I'm still thinking about returning the Castrol and shelling out the bigger bucks for the M1 V-twin, just because the bike is still under warranty. I'd really still like to try the Castrol because of it's availability and pricing. . .

I have a 04 R1150RT and have been using M1 15-50, and mix the SL & SM versions, along with 4oz of VSOT. I don't use any oil between changes. I must be very lucky because some owners report oil consumption out past 15k. I really never did use oil from the start.

Try the M1 15-50. I think you will be very happy with it. Smoetimes you can get 5qts of M1 and a M1 oil filter for $30 at AZ, and the oil filter wrench for the BMW filters also fit the M1 filter.

You can get the best - Redline - from *********.com for semi cheap. Redline has all the good additives and uses a base stock with superior heat transfer capabilities.

Well. . .I've temporarily decided to go with Mobil 1 v-twin until I get more info on this issue. During my research I found this white paper: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf at the Amsoil site and it was very helpful to me. The Mobil 1 v-twin ranked very highly (next to Amsoil of course). What I was most impressed with was the fact that it stayed in grade--even better than Amsoil.

Thanks for all of your replies!

You would be fine with any of the choices listed. The Boxer has been around forever, running for a long time on less robust oils than available today. It basically is loafing at highway speeds, and has a dry clutch, so very little shearing is happening due to the lack of trans gears. GTX would be fine, as well as M1. K-Mart has a bunch of redcap 15-50 left at many stores, that will do very well. Valvo 20-50 racing oil has a bunch of ZDDP if that is what you are specifically after for the cam lobes, or a dose of SLOB would cover you also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back