BMW LL-01

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is this spec? What is it exactly? What is a Low-SAPS oil?

I only have 2 choices for this in my area, and both are hard to come by. I can choose from Mobil1 0w-40 European, or Castrol Edge w/ Syntec 0w-30. Even those I have to buy in cases of 12 because I am the only one in town that uses it so no one will stock it. Will a regular 5w-30 synthetic work? I don't listen to the OLM in my car exactly, I usually change it halfway through where it tells me to.

It would help if you stated what car/engine/year model vehicle this oil is going into.

LL-01 is not a low-SAPs oil. The base for this spec is ACEA A3.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

If you're not going to follow OLM, then the long drain aspects of the LL spec may not be all that important in your case. However, if the car is still under warranty, I would continue using LL-01 oil in it.

FYI, Castrol Edge w/Syntec 5w-40 also meets the LL-01 spec now, but I think the other two oils you mentioned are better performers.

Do you guys have NAPA auto parts up there in Canada? If so, they sell a LubroMoly oil that also meets this spec.

My local dealer has a retail price of over $9/quart for BMW Synthetic but sells it in the low $6 for any amount of a case or larger. Perhaps a visit to one of the two Saskatchewan dealer would be worth it to stock up?

I guess the car/engine would be important right?

2006 BMW 330i, N52 engine, ~80000 miles on it.

I have been using the Castrol 0w-30 (from what I understand it is the German Castrol).

My local Canadian Tire used to stock it when they first opened 2 years ago, but have since stopped. I do have a Napa nearby, but I have to order in cases of 12, and they don't do me any favors on price. I pay $22 for a filter for the car from them, they wouldn't even discuss what the price of a case of oil would be unless I was willing to pre-pay.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
My local dealer has a retail price of over $9/quart for BMW Synthetic but sells it in the low $6 for any amount of a case or larger. Perhaps a visit to one of the two Saskatchewan dealer would be worth it to stock up?

Good call. I always forget that BMW dealers also sell the appropriate oil.
smile.gif

I also think that dealers in Canada often give better synthetic prices than the chains. This comes purely from the 0w20 threads TGMO vs M1(etc.) by friendly Canadian posters.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I also think that dealers in Canada often give better synthetic prices than the chains. This comes purely from the 0w20 threads TGMO vs M1(etc.) by friendly Canadian posters.

Canadian Tire sells the M1 0w-40 for $11.50/liter, Castrol 0w-30 for $10.50. I was quoted at 2 Napa store $15.00/liter for M1, and $14.00/liter for Castrol. Walmart is $1 cheaper than Canadian Tire.

I think our parts stores around here hate everybody except the auto repair shops...or they work with them to make it seem that DIY is too expensive...

Hi Sillicon,

Actually the BMW LL-01 FE 0W-30 oil, a light 30wt is spec'd for you're engine, unfortunately BMW Canada doesn't bother to import it. But you can use any premium 5W-30 for 5K-7K mile OCIs according to BMW Canada or so claims fellow member 2KBMW in the above thread Quattro_Pete referenced.

Originally Posted By: Sillicon
I only have 2 choices for this in my area, and both are hard to come by. I can choose from Mobil1 0w-40 European, or Castrol Edge w/ Syntec 0w-30.

We also have some excellent 0W-30 oils (not available in the States) from Imperial Oil, Petro-Canada and even Shell as options.
Then there are variation of various 0W-30 blends you can make yourself if your so inclined:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2562326&page=1

You haven't mentioned if you drive your BMW in the winter and if so what's the coldest temp's your likely be starting your car up at?

Canadian Tire sells the M1 0w-40 for $11.50/liter, Castrol 0w-30 for $10.50. I was quoted at 2 Napa store $15.00/liter for M1, and $14.00/liter for Castrol. Walmart is $1 cheaper than Canadian Tire.

I'm guessing you tried your local Imperial Oil distributor for M1 0w-40. They will likely be cheapest, unless Walmart or CT have sales.

As for filters, you can order online from Autopartsway in Canada. Another attractive alternative is Partsource when you're in Saskatoon or Regina. They're now carrying a broad selection of the German Mann filters for European applications at very good prices.

Yeah...the BMW runs all year long. Coldest temps? -50 C.

But your car is garaged I presume?
You're not actually starting the car unaided after sitting out in -50C temp's?
Anyway, even at temp's approaching -40 you'd be best off using the lightest oil available which is M1 0W-20 available at Cdn Tire and Walmart. And trust me this oil will be perfectly fine at ambient temp's up to at least 10C.
The second best oil in terms of very low MRV (14,900cP @-40) is Esso XD-3 0W-30 (now called Mobil Delvac Elite 222) which is actually a heavy oil at operating temp's with a 3.5cP HTHSV. You could run this straight but I wouldn't, rather I run a 50/50 blend with M1 0W-20. This will give you a light 0W-30. Just so you know this blend actually has the blessing Mobil since their AFE 0W-30 is not sold in Canada.

Sillicon,

I have used Esso XD3 0W30 in my 335i and the car just loves it. It is a PAO-based oil and is approved for gasoline use, with an SM rating (though it is primarily the cold weather oil of choice for Canadian diesels). The BMW rebranded Castrol oil is group III and of lesser quality overall. Again, this oil works great in the N54 engine year-round.

You can but it very cheap at your local Esso bulk retailer, in litre bottles of 12 - just look them up at esso.ca for your local area. I paid less than $5 per litre about 4 years ago - i think it is now around the high $5 per litre.

One member of this forum from SK has posted great results in his taxicab - he ran the oil for >20,000 kilometers, if I recall correctly, with a fantastic oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back