BMW approval questions

My 16' US spec 535iGT (N55) has always run BMW 0W-30 Twin power oil with LL-01FE spec (as listed in manual). I just accidently ordered what I though was the same oil, but it turned out to be the LL-12FE version. From what I gather, this LL-12FE version was designed for diesel engines, and/or gas engines in Europe which specifically have an exhaust particulate filter. Apparently this oil is very rare in the US.

Anyway, I have it now, so should I use it? Will the lower ash have any negative impact on my gas engine and stock (non particulate filter) exhaust?

Will work just fine. Was not compatible with US gasoline at the time it was developed which is why it is recommended for diesels only. In 2018 gasoline switched to ultra low sulfur so the lower saps oils are just fine to use. Audi/VW don’t even recommend the old higher saps oils here anymore.

My 16' US spec 535iGT (N55) has always run BMW 0W-30 Twin power oil with LL-01FE spec (as listed in manual). I just accidently ordered what I though was the same oil, but it turned out to be the LL-12FE version. From what I gather, this LL-12FE version was designed for diesel engines, and/or gas engines in Europe which specifically have an exhaust particulate filter. Apparently this oil is very rare in the US.

Anyway, I have it now, so should I use it? Will the lower ash have any negative impact on my gas engine and stock (non particulate filter) exhaust?
Technically it's okay. BMW allowed LL12fe for the N55.

Screenshot_20221113-085542.jpg

Screenshot_20221113-085247.jpg

I had seen that chart, I just wasn't sure of the reasoning of why the (1) disclaimer stated that it was not to be used outside the EU. I realize that the cars outside the UE don't have a gas exhaust particulate filter, so I thought maybe it would cause a problem in a car without one. Hopefully not.

It's in my car now, so we'll see how it goes. I'll be more careful in the future when ordering oil. Thanks for your responses.

I had seen that chart, I just wasn't sure of the reasoning of why the (1) disclaimer stated that it was not to be used outside the EU. I realize that the cars outside the UE don't have a gas exhaust particulate filter, so I thought maybe it would cause a problem in a car without one. Hopefully not.

It's in my car now, so we'll see how it goes. I'll be more careful in the future when ordering oil. Thanks for your responses.
It has to do with ULSG/D (Ultra Low Sulphur Gasoline/Diesel). This occurred around 2004. The US moved to ULSG after the revision date of this list.

Gasoline cars had a TWC (pre-2010) and GPF came online well after the N55 ceased production.

Last edited:
It is a OK.
Use LL01 (not FE), especially in N55. You do have updated rod bearings, but I would stick to thicker stuff like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
+1

Any LL01 or Porsche A40 oil would work great in the N55.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40
Castrol 0w40
Mobil 1 0w40
Valvoline Euro 5w40
Quaker State 5w40

Back