Bluetooth OBD & Torque Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had an intermittent CEL on my Sienna the last several months. It comes and goes, and I have twice now poured in a dose of techron (thinking it might be a second catalytic converter, my mechanic fixed one already and told me the other one might go at any time). Anyways, I'm thinking I would like to see exactly what the code is.

I have read here that some use bluetooth enabled OBD scanners, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scan...=1-2&keywords=obd2+bluetooth+adapter, and an app like Torque Pro.

My questions: would this give me codes for both my cars? EDIT: I looked at the VeePeak page and they said it does work with cars sold in America from 1996 onward, so I should be good.

My mechanic warned me against the scanners that they use at AZ or pepboys, saying the information they gave was not very accurate. Is this setup any better?

I know that some code readers also will give oil & coolant temps. That might be neat to have, but what other benefit would I get from spending 100 bucks for one of these scanners?

Last edited:
Torque lite is free and does a lot. If the computer in your car outputs oil and coolant temps, it will read them. My Camry has about 105 sensors that it can read. It's a great tool. Saved me a lot of money. Get one!

Get this one. I use it on various makes & models w/Torque Pro, and it works flawlessly. Whatever PIDs the car computer allows, it reads.

Originally Posted by paulri
My mechanic warned me against the scanners that they use at AZ or pepboys, saying the information they gave was not very accurate. Is this setup any better?

Does your mechanic charge you a diagnostic fee ? Sounds like he's afraid you'll go to the parts store, get a code, and depending on the repair do it yourself vs having him do it. I had AZ check a battery once and they used a Snap On tool....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by paulri

Does your mechanic charge you a diagnostic fee ? Sounds like he's afraid you'll go to the parts store, get a code, and depending on the repair do it yourself vs having him do it. I had AZ check a battery once and they used a Snap On tool....

This. There's no way for the scanners at AZ or pepboys can pull the wrong code. I think he's saying that he'd be better equipped to diagnose the actual issue, whereas the advice you'd get at a parts store is almost always going to be replace "X" sensor and hope to code goes away.

No, he doesn't charge a diagnostic at all. He has sent me away many times after bringing in a car with brake noise, with no repairs, saying the brakes are fine.

I was under the impression that he was saying that his code reader is better than theirs--I don't recall his exact words, but he discouraged me from going there and letting them read my codes.

Some of the really cheap ELM327 copies have problems with the protocol Ford uses. Heard this second hand, FWIW.

I have had universal OBD-II readers misread a Prius HV battery cell as being defective-- it named the wrong one, off by one! The cheap ones also read the overarching "replace HV pack" which could lead to panic and expense for the owner who doesn't dig deeper for "better codes".

All that said you should get the combo you proposed, lots of fun extra data in there.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I would want a better OBDII device that could run tests, bleed ABS brakes, and program key FOBs.

Those are about 10x the price too! For $25, an ELM327 adapter and Torque app can't be beat.

Read reviews carefully. As noted above many of the Chinese ELM327 clones will not work with one of the early protocols (forgot exact one) that are used in domestic vehicles. It will not connect to most Fords and some late 90's GM cars, probably others. I have one like this it will not connect to my '96 Grand Prix, or most any Ford I've tried.

I would want a better OBDII device that could run tests, bleed ABS brakes, and program key FOBs.

I've never needed to do anything advanced. If I did, I'd upgrade my tool but not until then.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Some of the really cheap ELM327 copies have problems with the protocol Ford uses.

I believe the issue is that newer Fords have multiple "bus" (busses ??) to read (and/or write) all of the systems in these cars. The "good" ones will have a toggle switch that accesses them.

You're not very realistic ! This discussion is about a free app or the paid version that costs, what $5, and a sub-30 dollar ODBII reader !

Take a look at these PLX Kiwi OBD scan devices. They have a variety of units that may suit your needs and the newer ones work with many different apps (to include Torque Pro).

I have been using a PLX Kiwi (1 or 2, cant remember) for around 9 years or so with Torque Pro, utilizing an old re-purposed Droid phone for semi-permanent display. Never had any issues with it and am very happy with what data I can see, log, and display. Although I have never had to use it for any codes on any of the 3 cars I have used it with over the years, it does have the ability to view and reset codes. I love it because I can see what my ECU is seeing and I can learn the general "norm" of the vehicle operation, plus I can dive deeper into any issues if they arise.

Last edited:
I like the concept of the mini because you can leave it on the port. It won't get in your way. I had one fail not sure why. And then I read somewhere that they can short out and cause problems. So now I wonder if keeping it plugged in is such a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back