Blue Smoke On Startup/Consumption - Solution??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been awhile, but I have a question...

Truck (1992 Chevy w/ 4.3L V-6 approx. 90,000) on startup blows out a small "cloud" of blue smoke. Figure it's probably leaky valve seals (use to blow smaller amount of white smoke, but over time, it has progresed and turned blue). After a couple weeks of running, you can see a visible loss of oil level on the dipstick, either from startup or consumption while going down the road.

Anyways, I'm running 10w-30 Pennz. HM now and have not noticed any decrease in smoke or consumption.

Of course, I really like the 15w-40 HDEO's, but the cold-startup issues preclude myself from using them in the cold months (I believe?)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Justin.

BTW, I have no problem using Mobil1 10w-30, but I believe that with my valve seal issues, the full-synthetic will make the issue even worse.

[ July 12, 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Maybe Mobil Drive Clean Plus in the 10w-40 grade?

Thanks,

Justin.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:
Well, it's been awhile, but I have a question...

Truck (1992 Chevy w/ 4.3L V-6 approx. 90,000) on startup blows out a small "cloud" of blue smoke. Figure it's probably leaky valve seals (use to blow smaller amount of white smoke, but over time, it has progresed and turned blue). After a couple weeks of running, you can see a visible loss of oil level on the dipstick, either from startup or consumption while going down the road.

Anyways, I'm running 10w-30 Pennz. HM now and have not noticed any decrease in smoke or consumption.

Of course, I really like the 15w-40 HDEO's, but the cold-startup issues preclude myself from using them in the cold months (I believe?)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Justin.

BTW, I have no problem using Mobil1 10w-30, but I believe that with my valve seal issues, the full-synthetic will make the issue even worse.

WIthout seeing the motor or getting to lick the oil pan clean, Id say you have classic 'worn valve seal' syndrome. You can replace them rather easily while in the truck with no special tools other than a spring compressor. Consumption in a SBC pretty much means rings - either worn or stuck. You can try a strong ester based oil to free things up, and preceding each drain toss in some kero or BG engine cleaner. For grins, take off a valve cover and fire her up, look for the pushrods to shoot oil....if not, this was brought on by another common SBC problem: low top end oil pressure. A little harder to fix, but I promise u need only 4 wrench sizes ;-) repalce the oil pump with a hivol and if you are feelin lucky, toss in new rod/main bearings. Not to hard to do on a Z motor in a truck once u get the drive axle swung out of the way (if 4x4)

Auto RX is what you need. My Toyota did the same thing, 500 mils with Auto RX and not one puff of smoke since. Go to the additives forum and read all about it. It works, and you can just use your Penzzoil 10W30,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back