Blower motor in a Ford-- where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '94 Explorer. The A/C condenser works, but the air will not blow out of the vents. Well, not reliably, anyway. Sometimes it will work perfectly, other times it won't turn on. Sometimes it will start to blow as I drive, other times not for a few days. I'm not sure where to start. I have the Haynes book, but it doesn't let me know if I get to the unit from inside the passenger cab or through the engine bay. It's too hot in Savannah to not have air conditioning.

You access the blower motor from the engine bay. It is located in the heater box on the passenger side of the firewall. IIRC, you have to remove the airbox to get the motor out.

It comes out through the engine bay. It just unbolts. There are three or four bolts holding it, IIRC, they are 13mm.

We did the one in my sister's Explorer last year.

Check to see if your blower motor resistor is OK.
The resistor has various coils, different resistance values to different terminals.
The fan speed select switch selects which terminal is connected into the circuit and as such determines the resistance value inline with the motor.
It is not unusual for one of the coils to break.
The resistor in my '96 windstar rusted an broke.....leaving me with only high speed fan.
Where/what breaks will determine what problem your fans will have.
The location of the resistor in my Windstar was up under the glove box.

The problem doesn't really sound like a blower motor resistor to me, but if it is, it's located in the engine bay on the heater box.
Blowermotor012.jpg
That's where it is in my 06 Ranger, but it's located in the same spot on the Explorer.
And this should give you an idea of how to remove the blower motor..
Blowermotor011.jpg

Thanks for the update.
I am hoping for easier and cheaper than the blower motor.
Worth checking before replacing the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back