Bleeding Power Steering on 2008 Volvo XC90

Hi Guys,

Sorry I post this here. I was thinking this was the Mechanical-Maintenance Forum..... Don't know how to delete this post.

I was having a small leak with a power steering hose where it goes connected to the front radiator tube. I replace the O Ring and it the process a loose a little ATF Fluid.

I rise the front of the car in order to move the steering wheel from left to right several times to make sure there was not air in the system.

Take out the car for a ride and the steering was very soft but after 15 minutes the steering goes a little harder to move.

So I have these Questions:

• Do I need to bleed the system when the ATF Fluid is Hot? I mean rise the front of the car in order to move the steering wheel from left to right several times..... Or is does not matter hot or cold

• Or maybe get a Handheld Vacuum Pump Bleeder, the ones that goes connected on top of the ATF Reservoir.

• If I use the Handheld Vacuum Bleeder. Can I use it when the ATF Fluid is Hot or I need to wait until the temperature drop?

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

Last edited:
Is your PS system ok now, or it's still a problem?

Personally I remove the fluid when the system is cold. I drain the reservoir first to avoid fluid spilling out of the reservoir. Next, disconnect the hoses and use a vacuum extractor shoved down as far as I can go in the tube and pump out all the old fluid. Then reconnect the hoses.

Then when refilling the system from the reservoir, I clean the reservoir first with brake cleaner and let it dry first. Then jack up the car, refill the reservoir and turn the wheels lock to lock 4-6 times to get the fluid circulated. Keep an eye on the fluid to make sure it's not leaking if you didn't reconnect the hoses properly and top up the level if needed after you go for a drive.

Is your PS system ok now, or it's still a problem?

Personally I remove the fluid when the system is cold. I drain the reservoir first to avoid fluid spilling out of the reservoir. Next, disconnect the hoses and use a vacuum extractor shoved down as far as I can go in the tube and pump out all the old fluid. Then reconnect the hoses.

Then when refilling the system from the reservoir, I clean the reservoir first with brake cleaner and let it dry first. Then jack up the car, refill the reservoir and turn the wheels lock to lock 4-6 times to get the fluid circulated. Keep an eye on the fluid to make sure it's not leaking if you didn't reconnect the hoses properly and top up the level if needed after you go for a drive.

Hey JC1,

Thx for your reply:

I fix the problem.

My problem was that the PS Fluid Reservoir was very dirty inside. 🤭 There is a very fine mesh filter in the bottom of the PS Fluid Reservoir. It was covered in a slush/mud and this was making resistance to the flow of the PS Fluid. Cleaned with brake cleaner and now is working fine.

Thx & Rgds

Isaac

Reactions: JC1
Hey JC1,

Thx for your reply:

I fix the problem.

My problem was that the PS Fluid Reservoir was very dirty inside. 🤭 There is a very fine mesh filter in the bottom of the PS Fluid Reservoir. It was covered in a slush/mud and this was making resistance to the flow of the PS Fluid. Cleaned with brake cleaner and now is working fine.

Thx & Rgds

Isaac
Good to hear! I cleaned mine out about a year ago, after another member mentioned his Caravan had some noise. That screen wasn't too dirty on my van.

Back