bleeding breaks

i replaced the rear calipers on my 2003 tiburon and cannot for the life of me get the break feel to what it was. I have tried the old fashioned way and a vacuum bleeder on all calipers. What am I missing here?

When using the vacuum bleeder it pulls air bubbles constantly without much fluid however when the pedal is pressed fluid comes out. When i used the vacuum bleeder it sucked air for like 5 minutes straight without pulling any fluid all the way down to the reservoir.

Unlike previous occasions when the bleeders are cracked the pedal does not just sink to the floor, it feels as though it holds some pressure.

when the car is off and all bleeders are closed the pedal is firm has a small amount sponginess to it.

when running the pedal goes to the floor but has a little resistance to it, as though it is holding some pressure.

i cannot find any leaks to speak of.

You done this in the correct order correct? Meaning starting with the one furthest away from the master cylinder first then doing the one closest to it last. I’ve done it out of order many times and it has done that too me it’s important to do it in order.

You done this in the correct order correct? Meaning starting with the one furthest away from the master cylinder first then doing the one closest to it last. I’ve done it out of order many times and it has done that too me it’s important to do it in order.
Yes, i have been doing it in order. I have even tried different orders to see what would happen and the problem resides.

Yes, i have been doing it in order. I have even tried different orders to see what would happen and the problem resides.
Interesting. Also make sure their is nothing blocking the bleeder screws. Seen that plenty of times too if you have a little pick or something stick it down in each one just to check sometimes if it pulls air for awhile it maybe blocked up to where fluid can’t get through there.

Did you use hose clamp pliers on the rear brakes to stop the fluid from running out while you changed the calipers? How much fluid did you use when bleeding the lines after calipers were changed?

The fitting on the hose end of the vacuum bleeder may not be sealing well on the bleeder screws. Use some grease around the fitting to seal that up and it should quit sucking air.

Did you use hose clamp pliers on the rear brakes to stop the fluid from running out while you changed the calipers? How much fluid did you use when bleeding the lines after calipers were changed?
i did not, but ive run through a 32 oz bottle of break fluid.
The fitting on the hose end of the vacuum bleeder may not be sealing well on the bleeder screws. Use some grease around the fitting to seal that up and it should quit sucking air.
I'll have to try that tomorrow morning.
Interesting. Also make sure their is nothing blocking the bleeder screws. Seen that plenty of times too if you have a little pick or something stick it down in each one just to check sometimes if it pulls air for awhile it maybe blocked up to where fluid can’t get through there.
I will be sure to check for that.

Once you get the system air-free, an alternative to this hassle in the future is do a drain/fill of the reservoir annually. Over time, the fluid mixes fully and reduced water and other contaminants, and doesn't introduce the risk of introducing air like most bleed jobs through the screws do.

Fill up reservoir then open all bleeders. Watch for fluid drop then close that bleeder. Do this for all 4. Keep reservoir full and be patient.

be aware of deteriorated rubber hoses on the end of hard lines, they can look good outside but be falling apart inside!!!

speed bleeders are awesome :)
be aware of deteriorated rubber hoses on the end of hard lines, they can look good outside but be falling apart inside!!!
these are things ill look for and look out for.
Fill up reservoir then open all bleeders. Watch for fluid drop then close that bleeder. Do this for all 4. Keep reservoir full and be patient.
I'll try this first tomorrow since it is the easiest.

If it still feels crappy after all this, you probably have air in the ABS, and will have to have it cycled in order to get it out.
That will turn into an ordeal as I had accidently bashed my wheel speed sensor while replacing struts to which it no longer works and broke off in the rear knuckle.

Back