Black Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 2014 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 engine with 90,000 miles on it. I knew the truck and all are hwy miles the old owner had always changed the oil with mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic every 5000 miles. Iv done two oil changes with the same oil in it and before i get 3000 miles on it the oil gets really really really black. Has anyone ever had this issue before? Engine runs great!

Last edited:
At 5000 miles how far are you along on the oil monitor, in percentage. I have essentially the same engine with 150,000 miles in a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban. Just had a look; at 70 % remaining it’s still light brown. Always used Synthetic 5-30, often M-1. I’ll monitor this and let you when it turns black, and yes, when I change oil at 0 % , it’s black.

SF

Last edited:
The below is what you get if you google "black oil bobistheoilguy.com". It will take a while to read all of the threads on this subject.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Jason1221
At 5000 miles it was 30%

OK, I’ll report back when mine is definitely black, or at 30%, Whichever comes first. Currently putting on about 1,000 miles per month.

SF

I think the Boron in the add pack is turning is turning the oil black. The Boron is also plating you cylinder bores.. Not a bad thing.

Cut open the next used oil filter and look for black/carbon/soot in the pleats of the media. Also look for oil on the throttle plate of the throttle body. These things suggest combustion products are blowing by the piston rings and contaminating the oil and quickly turning it black. The PCV system should be checked.
Does the engine consume oil?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
At 5000 miles it was 30%

OK, I’ll report back when mine is definitely black, or at 30%, Whichever comes first. Currently putting on about 1,000 miles per month.

SF

Just checking back. I’m at 30% left. Getting darker but I wouldn’t call it black just yet.

Congratulations, your oil is doing what it is engineered to do. Don't worry about it.

Well, finally got down to 0 %. And yes, it is Black.. The driving was all highway with just a bit of city driving. Funny how it seems dark brown on the dipstick but black in the container. Blot samples on paper towels are light brown. The mileage was 10,200 miles at 0 %.

The previous owner wasn't doing 5k mile intervals with Mobil 1.

I bet he was going per the OLM and using at best Mobil 5000.

If someone used Mobil 1 at 5k intervals, the engine should be spotless and the oil shouldn't be BLACK at 3k miles.

I recently did a fairly short OCI on a 2002 Dodge Dakota V6 that was service neglected and used by a carpenter.
Out came less than 3 quarts of yuck and a jobber filter.
The engine has a 4 quart pan.
I used MaxLife 5w30 and a decent filter. Kinda wish I woulda substituted 1 quart with Rotella 15w40.
Cleaned up up surprisingly well.
In your case M1 is working.

I have a '09 Traverse. Owned it since new. Change with synthetic every 5k. It gets black really quick. Nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

Purchased a 2014 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 engine with 90,000 miles on it. I knew the truck and all are hwy miles the old owner had always changed the oil with mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic every 5000 miles. Iv done two oil changes with the same oil in it and before i get 3000 miles on it the oil gets really really really black. Has anyone ever had this issue before? Engine runs great!

Color is not an indication of oil condition. Get UOA (should be obvious answer since you're on this forum)

Back when I had my 02 Golf TDI, after every oil change, as soon as I started the car, the oil became black instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back