Black and Decker Battery Charger ?

I purchased a B&D Battery charger Model BC15BD- https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-D...e-Start-and-Alternator-Check-BC15BD/205431782

Unlike similar electronic smart chargers that I have owned in the past, the fan does not come on when I first connected it and set it in charge mode There was a slight odor. The display indicated that it was working correctly but I disconnected it because I was concerned that without the fan that it might burn up. Did I get a defective unit ? - Thanks

Last edited:
Are you sure it has an internal fan? I don't see it mentioned in the link you provided.

Not common to see an ammeter these days on a smart charger at this price point of $60. Kudos to B&D for including it, along with temperature compensation.

Unlike similar electronic smart chargers that I have owned in the past, the fan does not come on when I first connected it and set it in charge mode There was a slight odor. The display indicated that it was working correctly but I disconnected it because I was concerned that without the fan that it might burn up. Did I get a defective unit ? - Thanks

There is an "overheat alarm" icon on the display that would light up if the unit was overheating.

If it's anything like my ProLogix 2320, the fan only comes on after a while of high current charging. Brand new electronics can sometimes produce a bit of odor when initially turned on, but if it continues like that, get it exchanged.

the fan does not come on when I first connected it and set it in charge mode There was a slight odor.
In my experience, a slight odor from new electronics is normal. The fan on my 20A Pro-Logix charger, and on my 10A bench power supply do not turn on until after a few minutes have passed and components have warmed up. Also dependent on ambient temp.

Back