BITOG - Mobil 1 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
With so many good oils on the market today, why should someone choose Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

4. When will you make M1 oil filters available in Dominion of Canada?

CTire distributes M1 filters in Canada. I bought one from there a few weeks back.

Why don't you make available all your products in Canada?
In particular your AFE 0W-20 and 0W-30 grades are not distributed here which makes no sense to me. The last time I checked Canada has a cold climate.

The Cdn dollar is at virtual parity with the US dollar so why are your products 50% more expensive here than south of the border?

There is information on PDS's that Mobil 1's density has increased across most of the product line. What is attributing to this increase in density? Thanks for doing this!

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Familyguy
I see lots of questions, but no answers. :)

You need to read their opening statement.

Always vigilant. Never abandoning his post
thumbsup2.gif

My queston (
grin2.gif
): What was the "regular maintenance" that you state the MILLION MILES ON MOBIL 1 received? I'm just curious.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

When will Mobil release their range of SN, GF-5 and Dexos 1 oils ?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
There is information on PDS's that Mobil 1's density has increased across most of the product line. What is attributing to this increase in density?

I think this is what we are looking at.

I have been using Mobil 1 Oil for many years. My car has manual transmission which spec for GL-4 oil. I would like to use Mobil product in it also, do you have a product that fits this application?

Wow - this is really cool of Mobil to do this! Thanks!

Couple of questions:

1. In Canada, Mobil sells 'Special 1000' conventional and 'Special 2000' syn-blend. Are these oils EXACT duplicates of the 'Mobil 5000' and 'Mobil 7500' in the US?

2. Like others, I'm wondering when we will see an expanded line of Mobil products in Canada - M1 AFE and M1 HM mainly.

Quote:
2. Like others, I'm wondering when we will see an expanded line of Mobil products in Canada - M1 AFE and M1 HM mainly.

In reciprocity ..and while I have no need personally...

Will XOM USA allow Imperial Esso to export the XD-3 synthetic to south of the boarder? Delvac doesn't really have a directly competing product.

..admittedly not a technical question, but
21.gif

Gary,

IF you can get it, Delvac 1 0W-40 ESP is the EXACT same thing as XD-3 0W-40....but you are right, there is no 30-weight version...

Thanks for the Q&A session ... I use XOM products on a regular basis ... not exclusively, but over 50%.

I second the question below ... "Why do the UOA's show higher iron than other synthetic oil UOA's?"

I'd like to know if you could elaborate on why the Mobil 1 ECF 0w40 almost always shears to a 30wt. Granted, it starts out just a little above a 30wt, but it's not really a 0w40 if it spends over half it's useful life as a 0w30 or is it?

Mobil does not recommend the Mobil 1 Racing oils for street use ... is this solely because of potential premature degradation to the life of catalytic converters? Any other reason?

I have an air/oil cooled dry clutch motorcycle with a shared sump between the transmission and engine ... how would Mobil 1R 0w50 hold up in that application?

I am familiar with the Mobil 1 20w50 motorcycle specific oil. Is the 20w50 label just a marketing tool for the Harley crowd? Would the oil actually be able to meet a 15w50 or 10w50 label if it needed to as it sits right now in the 20w50 bottle?

Thank you ... Jared H

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question for XOM:

Some European car manufacturers strictly advise against the use of low SAPs oils in their gasoline engines operated in the US. For example, Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 meets BMW LL-04 spec, and BMW recommends this oil for their gasoline and diesel engines in Europe. However, BMW advises against the use of this oil in their gasoline engines in the US, claiming poor gasoline quality in the US. Since XOM produces both the oils and gasoline in the US, can you elaborate on what exactly it is about the US gasoline that makes it incompatible with ESP oil? Does it have something to do with ethanol use in US gas? What negative effects might be observed if ESP oil were to be used in gasoline engines in the US?

Adding on to the above question, I bought some ESP 5W-30 for my wife's VW. I heard the same thing about the US gasoline. I called your tech line and was told not to use the oil in the VW. I called back and then was told that if the car was spec for the oil which it is then it was fine to use.

I also noticed this on your PDS. Meets Engine Test Requirements)A5/B5.API (Meets Engine Test Requirements)SL / SM.

None of your other oils have this (Meets Engine Test Requirements) so I assume this means the oil does fine in testing on a bench but not in prolonged use in the USA with our gasoline? If not what the difference in description?

Thank you

I'm sorry if this has been asked:

This may not be in line with your mission here..but..

Is there some reason why the data sheets are shrinking/shifting in content? It's not just XOM. Sopus is omitting HTHS data in some apps and the CCV/MRV numbers. Castrol won't even give the 40C numbers. Some have NOACK ..etc..etc. In past years, XOM, SOPUS, and Chevron had all the usual suspects for investigation. Now it's hard to compare between them with the data gaps.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'm sorry if this has been asked:

This may not be in line with your mission here..but..

Is there some reason why the data sheets are shrinking/shifting in content? It's not just XOM. Sopus is omitting HTHS data in some apps and the CCV/MRV numbers. Castrol won't even give the 40C numbers. Some have NOACK ..etc..etc. In past years, XOM, SOPUS, and Chevron had all the usual suspects for investigation. Now it's hard to compare between them with the data gaps.

Great question Gary!

I have a 1998 Corvette with a 6 speed manual transmission, it has paper blocker rings. It uses Dextron ATF. I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and after 50,000 miles it started grinding going into 6th gear. After a switch to a competitor's Synthetic ATF the grinding went away.

Are you familiar with problems with Mobil 1 ATF and these early T-10 transmissions?

Last edited:
If one 0W-20 oil has a higher Density than another would you consider it as giving more protection in high pressure/high stress areas of the engine, and why?

Thanks,

aehaas

Would you please add MRV data to all of your Mobil 1 PDSs.

Pour point data is nebulous at best. Example: Pour point for Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 is listed as -42C.
Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 is listed as -54C.

I don't believe the 10W-30 would start my car in low temperatures easier than the 5W-30 would - as the pour point data might lead me to believe. If it did, then I would s**tcan the 5W-30 and only use 10W-30.

Incidentally, the -54C. pour point listed for the HM 10W-30 is the same as that listed for Mobil 0W-40 in the 2001 0W-40 PDS. That has now been changed to an MRV at 40C. equal to 26242 in the 2006 0W-40 PDS.

I hope all Mobil 1 PDSs can be updated to MRV data -- I realize that the MRV is tested at different temperatures for different lower viscosity numbers.

Do the Extended Performance oils offer better overall performance than the regular M1 line, and if so in what ways? The specs. for both look very good and very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back