Bird Bombs…ideas for scaring birds from trees

A car cover is not the point. Who’s gonna throw on a car cover on every time you come home and remove it every time you go out? Try seeing half a dozen of these B52’s perched on your new roof or chimney cap with white acidic droppings rolling down your new shingles. Forget about shooting them. Check out the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. $100 thousand dollar fine and a year in prison. Crazy.
Didn’t say I was going to shoot them. I said that’s absolutely not an option. Plus, white-winged doves are not a migratory species protected under that act. Those are the only ones giving me issues.

My ex Father-in-law made a 12 ga shotgun shell with a cap nipple in the back like for black powder. I would put black powder and cotton ball and rock salt and cotton ball in it and load it in my single shot 12 ga shotgun. Might have to use it several times to get the grackles to move on.
Grackles used to be an issue but years ago I would rattle a BB gun and they hated that. They don’t come around to this tree all that much. They seem to be much smarter than the white-wings

08271356.jpg

We used bird bombs on the farm, after a few nights of that they won't come back for a while but they are pretty loud, They also work on the 4th for some big bang fun but in town I'm sure the law would be banging on your door.

You could try ultrasonic unless you have pets.

I had little birds hanging out at night on our security cameras pooping all over. I got some reflective bird tape at Tractor Supply. I cut 1 foot strips and hung them up around the cameras, that has kept them away. It looks like a disco on our front porch, but they’ve worked.

Attachments

• FA3C1B6E-3723-4BA5-A0E3-7E8AF62D5972.jpeg
    FA3C1B6E-3723-4BA5-A0E3-7E8AF62D5972.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 3
Screw a thick steel plate to the trunk and at night when their sound asleep...

Start beating on that plate with your sledgehammer.

tree I got it I got it nope.gif

Has a turkey vulture problem in my old neighborhood. Roosting at night in a few large trees. Resting on rooftops during the day. Their droppings are acidic and stain everything. Had to get the USDA involved. They legally harvested a few of them and hung them by their feet with wings spread from the highest trees effigy style. Vultures never returned in the six years I lived there afterwards. Crazy but true.
Here in NC all vultures are federally protected as best I know. I once had some on my rooftop and blasted them with .22 shot. Not enough shot to kill them but it did make them move on.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. There’s four cars in the family and a two car garage. Street parking isn’t an option because it’s on a cul-de-sac.

Squirting the water at them generally works really well and keeps them from returning after a few days. I’m going to pick up one of those pressurized water extinguishers to see how far they’ll shoot. During the day, my pressure washer works great but it makes too much noise at night.

Set up a hose and nozzle in the tree and have it on a timer.

Spiking things on the branches for pigeons? In Sunnyvale CA they use "green laser" as you said. Anything that can physically harm the birds may get you some Karen complaining to the government usually. You may have to do it just once and destroy the evidence if you want a perm solution.

Back