Billionaire to build new titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: azjake
It's my understanding that Britannic was being used as hospital ship in WWI when she caught fire and sunk.

You're right....

Originally Posted By: azjake
It's my understanding that Britannic was being used as hospital ship in WWI when she caught fire and sunk.

The Brittannic either hit a mine or was torpedoed just offshore. IT's actually a very shallow wreck, easily dived with just a normal scuba suit.

I know, I really wish he would consider having Harland & Wolff built it. I mean, there is not better place to build it than there if you ask me.

Is it going to be a EXACT replica? I dont see modern cruise customers putting up with the living conditions on it. If I recall only the first class customers were treated well, the lower classes were treated terribly. The cruise industry has changed alot in 100 years.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
Is it going to be a EXACT replica? I dont see modern cruise customers putting up with the living conditions on it. If I recall only the first class customers were treated well, the lower classes were treated terribly. The cruise industry has changed alot in 100 years.

I'm guessing they will spiff up the 3rd class cabins a bit. Not to mention the diesel electric powertrain will free up a lot of room, not having to have those boilers and coal bunkers.

This is going to be the Hummer H3 of boats. Big, aggressive looking, but stupid under the skin. Trying to copy a 100 year old hull shape will waste fuel. If they don't put stabilizers in the passengers will be sick, etc.

They must be counting on the novelty of people sailing on it... once. People make some big ticket purchases once so it's not a completely asinine idea.

At least it will be made by the Chinese. They're good at copying stuff.
crackmeup2.gif

Finally a cruise ship that's not ugly as sin, full of fat people wearing T shirts.

I bet he could have a nitch market of high end cruising on classy ships, by properly dressed adults.

It could be the Hinckley Yachts of cruise lines, and Hinckely does just fine.

They'd have to make all the cabins modern day first class equivalent, no one would want to sail as even 1912 first class. It'd stink for the price it would be.

Sure is a lot of steel poured for a little billionaire's toy.

I would do a "roaring twenties" decoration, a little pre art-deco. Incandescent lights with maybe a few jewel like high-CRI LED accents. No cell phones allowed out of cabins. It would be a status symbol to be unavailable, "You can't reach me-- I'm on Titanic II-- as you know from the brochure they have a no-screens rule".
lol.gif

Allow (provide?) cigars, absinthe, and watercolor murals of naked ladies fromping in gardens. Make it as politically incorrect as possible. Too bad about the clean burning diesel; some smoky coal would add to the mood.

I don't know anything about shipbuilding, but if they make it with plates and rivets it might be easier to disassemble for scrap or renovations in five years when its fad passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.