Bike racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercy sakes,,bicycle racks for trucks or cas,,,saw some for 599 bucks,,mercy sakes....what kind do you guys use??we have a F150 ,so if we get one it will attach to the receiver hitch..

You need a $600 rack for your $50 bike. Only advice I have is to get one that clamps down on the top of the tire instead of holding the frame somewhere unless you don't care about scratches. Look on Craigslist if you have it locally and find a deal on one. FYI you can spend $1000 on high end 4 bike racks.

I use a Thule T2. It was pricey but so are my bikes. It holds them by the wheels and really protects the frames from getting marked up.

My Thule mount has this bolt-pin thing that threads through the hitch and loads it against the side. A small lock goes on afterward. Works mint.

I bought a cheap Bike rack of Kijiji (just like CL) for $50. I would look for a rack (even if you want an expensive rack) on CL. I'm sure there are few people that are looking to sell a bike rack at a steep discount.

I've got an old nashbar rack on my roof crossbars. My son has a saris trunk mounted one. It hasn't marked up the paint and he puts plenty of miles on getting to races. He uses Velcro ties to keep the bikes even more secure, the straps on the saris do a pretty decent job. If you spend money on a something, you should take care of it as best you can.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
My Thule mount has this bolt-pin thing that threads through the hitch and loads it against the side. A small lock goes on afterward. Works mint.

It takes up the slack in the receiver tube? The Mazda Australia-sold "tow bar" (receptacle type platform hitch) has a nut tackwelded to the outside of the receiver tube, a hole thru the receiver tube where the nut is, and a short bolt... to load the element which fits inside the receiver tube. Result, no more slack, no clanging. Sounds similar. Regardless (and in addition to this) I advocate for tie-back stabilizing straps drawn up moderately.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

It takes up the slack in the receiver tube? The Mazda Australia-sold "tow bar" (receptacle type platform hitch) has a nut tackwelded to the outside of the receiver tube, a hole thru the receiver tube where the nut is, and a short bolt... to load the element which fits inside the receiver tube. Result, no more slack, no clanging. Sounds similar. Regardless (and in addition to this) I advocate for tie-back stabilizing straps drawn up moderately.

Exactly. It goes in from the right side and pulls the rack in toward the right side interior wall of the receiver hitch. Works great.

Bike geometry has changed a lot in recent years, so those old school racks where the bike hangs by the frame don't work very well anymore. That's why the "tray style" racks that carry the bikes by the wheels have become popular. Of course, they're also much more expensive.

This is what I'm using. It's very sturdy and can carry pretty much any kind of bike from a skinny tire road bike up to a big fat tire bike. The swing away feature is a huge plus too. I didn't pay this price for it though, REI had them on sale at a pretty big discount when I got it.

https://www.rei.com/product/116601/rocky-mounts-backstage-swing-away-platform-2-bike-hitch-rack

My Thule T2 has been on the back of my truck so long, I'm disassembling it to have it powdercoated. Works great, looks terrible. My wife was after me to replace it. It will look brand new for 120 bucks.

My Thule T2 has been on the back of my truck so long, I'm disassembling it to have it powdercoated. Works great, looks terrible. My wife was after me to replace it. It will look brand new for 120 bucks.

I think that is what I paid for my Swagman something-or-another 2 bit setup (the sort that goes into the hitch). I left it on the car in one rain and it did start getting some rust; now I take it off when not in use. It's just one bolt after all. Toss into trunk when not using.

Originally Posted by supton

I think that is what I paid for my Swagman something-or-another 2 bit setup (the sort that goes into the hitch). I left it on the car in one rain and it did start getting some rust; now I take it off when not in use. It's just one bolt after all. Toss into trunk when not using.

This thing is huge. The only place I really have for it right now is on the back of the truck. It was expensive enough to justify having it refreshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back