Big R 22in Briggs' Mower

1629063651245.jpg

Traded a 2 gallon jug of Supertech SAE30 CF-2 for this today, Got an older 3.5hp Briggs motor on it, no safety lock out, manual prime, and manual throttle. It's missing the discharge shoot, minimal rust for the age of it, it runs good, don't really need another mower, probably give it to my dad, he'll have to store it outside, I figure it's old enough that people won't want to steal it or if they do, I'm not at much of a loss.

I love lightweight, simple mowers like that. Looks like it has a new pull cord, too clean to be same age as the mower unless someone bleached it.

Never underestimate what someone will steal once they've approached it with that intention. I'd at least throw a tarp over it, sitting in the elements is hard on mowers.

Discharge chute I'd just bang something out of sheet aluminum, mainly so if grass is tall it can be thrown further onto the next non-mown path to be mulched up more.

as far as trusting thieves, that particular engine sold new a dozen+ years ago for $167. (bought one) Today it's more like $270. if you can find it
I would not leave it outside. Nope. Maybe pull it off the deck & keep as a spare if you're out of storage options.

as far as trusting thieves, that particular engine sold new a dozen+ years ago for $167. (bought one) Today it's more like $270. if you can find it
I would not leave it outside. Nope. Maybe pull it off the deck & keep as a spare if you're out of storage options.
Those old B & S engines go forever with minimal maintenance.

People nowadays would steal a coffee can full of rocks.

I've seen similar old mowers that were probably made by Southland on the local marketplace complete for like $50 around here, that's complete with the discharge chute and with probably a more recently gone through carb, I think this one sat for years prior to my neighbor getting in and screwing around with it, the rubber parts of the carb are gonna probably need replaced sooner rather than later and the deck and engine have rust, it's old but I don't see where it's got anything really valuable going for it. Maybe somewhere the engine is worth a few bucks but I'm sure to ship it wherever that is that it's not worth it.

I went over to my house today and messed around with it, sprayed a little supertech WD-40 stuff on the wheel height adjusters to get them loose, and I changed the oil, I propped the back end of the mower up on a jack stand and tried to break the drain plug but she was quite stuck, so I just turned the mower on it's side and dumped the oil out the dipstick tube (it says drain and fill on the cap,) then when I had it on it's side I took a hammer and gave the wrench a little tappy tap tap a broke the drain plug loose and got just a teensy bit more oil out, I put back in a frakenbrew of 0W40 Rotella T6 mixed about 50/50 with 15W40 Rotella T4. Looks like the engine must've been manufactured around October of 1993.
1629586142190.jpg
1629586179563.jpg

1629586202631.jpg

Back