Best Synth Oil for Stock Turbos

Q60

Hi BITOG fam,

Recently made the jump from a 5.0 Coyote Mustang to a 3.0 Q60 Infiniti (twin turbo cousin of the GTR, think I’m in a quarter life crisis.) Ran Castrol Edge (black bottle) exclusively in my old stang and tried it in the Q only to find that the oil darkened after 500 miles or so. I know oil color typically isn’t a great indicator of life or performance but for some reason it bothered me. Turbos change the game in regards to heat, soot, thermal breakdown, shearing etc. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum on the advice of another turbo vehicle owner with seemingly good results, it seems like oil stays cleaner longer. Any opinions or suggestions on a good oil for the Q?

I've changed oil in my turbo civic to find out 100miles later that I slightly overfilled it so I pulled 0.2 qts or so. aaaaaannnnddd...it was dark. almost black dark (40k miles on the car/engine, I'm the only owner 5k oil changes and no, it wasn't dirty and getting cleaned up). moral of the story, color of the oil doesn't say a thing. neither brand matters. even weight doesn't matter all that much. as long as it meets industry specs and changed at regular reasonable intervals - engine won't know a difference, neither will you

Reactions: Q60
Pennzoil would be my choice. Ran Mobil 1 in my 19' Sorento and it twice burned 1qrt. in 5k miles. Maybe the vehicle didn't like Mobil, but never had an issue with Pennzoil.

IIRC, my brother's GT-R uses Mobil 1 0W-40. IMO and many will agree that it is one of the best motor oil on the market today. Any specific reason you want to deviate from that?

Reactions: Q60
Pennz Platinum in my 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
IMG_0093.JPG

IIRC, my brother's GT-R uses Mobil 1 0W-40. IMO and many will agree that it is one of the best motor oil on the market today. Any specific reason you want to deviate from that?
Just did a 5k change on Friday with PP platinum. Will give M1 EP a whirl when it’s time…

Hi BITOG fam,

Recently made the jump from a 5.0 Coyote Mustang to a 3.0 Q60 Infiniti (twin turbo cousin of the GTR, think I’m in a quarter life crisis.) Ran Castrol Edge (black bottle) exclusively in my old stang and tried it in the Q only to find that the oil darkened after 500 miles or so. I know oil color typically isn’t a great indicator of life or performance but for some reason it bothered me. Turbos change the game in regards to heat, soot, thermal breakdown, shearing etc. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum on the advice of another turbo vehicle owner with seemingly good results, it seems like oil stays cleaner longer. Any opinions or suggestions on a good oil for the Q?
What are factory oil specs for that engine ?

I've used Schaeffer 9000 in our Ford Ecoboost for almost 5 years with no issues.

Currently using Torco SR-1 again no issues.

Pick an oil and run it. Listening to 100 opinions gets you no-where.

I ran Castrol Edge in my old Fusion 2.0EB and I’ve ran it in my CRV with turbo. No issues whatsoever.

I'm running Motul 300V in my Colt turbo, but I have the feeling that engine mostly doesn't care 😂

Yes that was a useless answer. I'd rather use an oil with some decent approvals, suited for the car, changed at appropriate interval, and from a decent brand.
Oh and also letting the turbo cooldown before switching the engine off? I don't know if this is still a thing (I suppose with stop and start and graceful water cooled turbo, maybe not), but I've always done that and am yet to have a turbo break on me.

I'm running Motul 300V in my Colt turbo, but I have the feeling that engine mostly doesn't care 😂

Yes that was a useless answer. I'd rather use an oil with some decent approvals, suited for the car, changed at appropriate interval, and from a decent brand.
Oh and also letting the turbo cooldown before switching the engine off? I don't know if this is still a thing (I suppose with stop and start and graceful water cooled turbo, maybe not), but I've always done that and am yet to have a turbo break on me.

Same here. I always let the engine idle for at least 15 seconds regardless if it is NA or FI engine, but especially if it is a FI engine.

Back