Best shocks for 2017 Honda CRV?

With this and the Tacoma shock question, are we to conclude you're revving up for some shock replacements?

Seriously, the quality levels of the differing manufacturers appear to be changing going by the reports people make here.
We don't even know if OER (replacement) shocks are made by the OEM (manufacturer) now-a-days.

With this and the Tacoma shock question, are we to conclude you're revving up for some shock replacements?

Seriously, the quality levels of the differing manufacturers appear to be changing going by the reports people make here.
We don't even know if OER (replacement) shocks are made by the OEM (manufacturer) now-a-days.
That is why I am asking.

The Honda shocks lasted nicely over 100K. Tacoma shocks, terrible in 25K miles only

How long do you plan on keeping the car? What condition is it in besides the shocks? :unsure:

Unfortunately, Honda doesn't make OE quick struts for your 2017 CRV. For aftermarket, KYB doesn't make aftermarket quick struts. Maybe they are just too new to need new struts on most of them!

If Bilstein makes them that's what I would get. jmoymmv I would never use quick struts. I did on my 1998 Maxima and the car was never the same. They are designed for shops to save on labor, i.e. charge full price, save labor and get the car out and on to the next. I would ask, look up what the price is for an OE spring. It's not typically simply thrown away. Given the price of a quick strut, how can the components possibly be the same as what was removed...

With my Lexus I had no choice, OE is cost prohibitive so I went with the KYB (I think Excel-G). A Toyota rubber boot is like $70 each corner, lol unfortunately I didn't win the lottery

We put the Bilstein B6 on the Buick Enclave, and the ride is the best thing about the car (everything else may be falling apart but the ride is top notch)--seriously.

Again Bilstein B6 (HD) for both ride, handling and reliability.
I was actually worried, what if it is "too much" on a family SUV. It was not. Plus the springs really have to do a lot with the ride, the shocks dampen them. In the case of GM--the B6 struts were not more than OE, and the B6 shocks, were just a little more (like $20 ea), so why not? At the time, B4 was also an option. But I liked the yellow paint and blue boots, was always on my bucket list lol

There have been youtube videos about some of the aftermarket shocks for Honda c r v's that even though they were made by reputable aftermarket shock producers have had problems. Specifically when people buy the front quick strut that has the coil already installed, they have a problem in the top of that quick strut assembly has bearings in it, and the angle that that whole assembly is at at the top is not identical to original equipment. This causes problems in short order after installation and they have to be removed and then replaced with original equipment. For that reason alone I would spend the extra bucks if it was mine and go with original equipment quick struts If it was the front that I was doing.

Also, Be aware that if you go to some fancy heavy duty shock absorber you may ruin the ride of the vehicle. Heavy duty shocks that are thicker and designed to carry more weight than original equipment also cause a lot more of the vibrations of the road to be transmitted into the vehicle. This is particularly bad if any of the passengers have a bad back. Heavy shocks will make a Vehicle suspension stiffer so that it will go around corners better although there's a limit of how much improvement you can deal with when you have a vehicle that is high because you could roll it over, and also they will improve how well it handles on the highway especially when there's crosswinds. But that stiffer suspension comes in a price of having a lot more of the bumps in the road transmitted into the vehicle.And you will feel those and you probably won't hear them

Last edited:
If Bilstein makes them that's what I would get. jmoymmv I would never use quick struts. I did on my 1998 Maxima and the car was never the same. They are designed for shops to save on labor, i.e. charge full price, save labor and get the car out and on to the next. I would ask, look up what the price is for an OE spring. It's not typically simply thrown away. Given the price of a quick strut, how can the components possibly be the same as what was removed...

With my Lexus I had no choice, OE is cost prohibitive so I went with the KYB (I think Excel-G). A Toyota rubber boot is like $70 each corner, lol unfortunately I didn't win the lottery

We put the Bilstein B6 on the Buick Enclave, and the ride is the best thing about the car (everything else may be falling apart but the ride is top notch)--seriously.
Bilstein if you intend to keep the vehicle.

Back