Best Sealer for Trailer Deck

The food pantry where I volunteer has a flatbed trailer that is used to pick up donations from local businesses. The trailer is going on 3 years old, and the decking has never been sealed. I am going to take on the task, but am looking for advice on what is the best option for sealing a trailer deck.

I was going to use linseed oil, but was curious if there are better options. Any personal experience with what keeps trailer decks in good shape?

Reactions: TPK
I know what I'd use but it may not be great for hauling food .....

Motor oil.
This option is one of the reasons I've asked what others do. I've recently heard of using a 50/50 motor oil/diesel fuel blend.

I have no problem using motor oil on the deck of this trailer, as all the food we transport is well sealed, and typically palletized. For example, we have a breakfast cereal plant that donates a few pallets of cereal whenever we need it.

I'm curious how well sealing with motor oil holds up compared to commercial products, like linseed oil.

I used K1 kerosene instead of diesel with motor oil. Works just as good and smells a lot better.
I have some old kerosene on the shelf, so I could use that if I go with the motor oil blend.

What about a good solid deck stain.
I considered that also. But I don't know how it compares to linseed oil or the motor oil, as far as longevity. We could not care less about staining the trailer deck, so I hadn't put a lot of thought into this option.

The food pantry where I volunteer has a flatbed trailer that is used to pick up donations from local businesses. The trailer is going on 3 years old, and the decking has never been sealed. I am going to take on the task, but am looking for advice on what is the best option for sealing a trailer deck.

I was going to use linseed oil, but was curious if there are better options. Any personal experience with what keeps trailer decks in good shape?
Seal-once nono penetrating wood sealer. From my understanding it's a once and done.

^^^^ This is a great and sanitary suggestion that will last for years. My wooden deck was stained with BEHR solid color stain in 2012 and it looks like it is two years old today.
Many of them deck stains are darn tough and bonus is UV protection but of course Prep Prep Prep is key.

use a clear deck wood sealer ,,like Ready seal or TWP,,sand wood till clean,,brush on ,,making sure wood is dry before application.

Use a deck product that penetrates. Any film-forming finish, like paint, will get scratched up and fail to work. So, you want a product that penetrates. Any big box store will have it, and a quart will be more than enough. You can use a stain, if you want to change teh color, or just a sealer to protect the wood. Both will have some UV resistance, and both will provide water/rot resistance.

Please don’t use motor oil, diesel, or kerosene, they will not preserve the wood as well as linseed oil, which is the usual base for most deck products, and has nearly a millennium of good results behind it.

Back