Best replacement for a Toyota 04152-YZZA5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I've got a 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD, and I'm curious as to what the best replacement oil filter available on the aftermarket is.

The problem is that, due to its rarely-used engine (2GR-FSE), it uses a rather obscure size of cartridge filter; I understand that it shares it with the 2010-current Toyota 4Runner V6, 2011-current Toyota Tundra V6, a few years of FJ Cruiser, a couple of other Lexuses, and just about nothing else. I think it's about 3.235"x2.755" with an 1.108" inside diameter.

I went looking into the items available on the Fram, Purolator and Wix websites, as well as the Amsoil lookup. Neither of them appeared to have their top synthetic options available in that size. There're also bigger and smaller Toyota filters available in the synthetic options, but given that it's a cartridge design, they probably won't fit.

There's a Fram Tough Guard available in that size, but I'm not sure it's as good as the Fram Ultra Synthetic (99% vs 99+%, for example) or really worth buying compared to the OEM item.

Have I overlooked anyone? Should I just go with the OEM item?

EDIT: It seems that there's a TRD filter available for this application, the PTR43-00079, but I couldn't tell you whether it's any better than the OEM filter. (I mean it does have snazzy metal endcaps and claims synthetic material, so that might be something, right?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David_Corbett
There's a Fram Tough Guard available in that size, but I'm not sure it's as good as the Fram Ultra Synthetic (99% vs 99+%, for example) or really worth buying compared to the OEM item.

The efficiency difference between the TG and XG is very small, so for all practical purposes they are high efficiency filters.

So what model TG did the application guide come up with. Sometimes there is an over-size that might work, which could give you more filters to choose from.

Check out eBay for low(er) cost OEM filters. I think I stocked up at around $4/each for my two Toyota vehicles. Got some cabin filters too.

If you have Amazon Prime check there too, but I think I found the best prices on eBay.

As to how good the OEM filter is, I'll leave that to others. My vehicles live easy lives so I just use OEM for the specified 10kmile interval, which means about 3 changes per year. YMMV, but I am currently unsold on the idea of "better" filters. I mean, I'm not going to drive out past 500k.

It recommended the TG10158, which is already bigger than the filter used on most 2GR engines (the 9972, which is 0.6" shorter).

The upsized filter is the 10295, which is typically used on Toyota's larger V8s; it's got the same OD and ID but is 1.283" longer. I'd be stunned and amazed if it fit in the cartridge assembly.

OEM Toyota filters tend to favor flow over filtration, so whatever you choose it is probably a higher efficient filter than the Toyota filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ You can not 'up-size' a cartridge oil filter.

Didn't think so. I missed your post while I was digging through the Fram parts catalogue.

You may be trying to fix what isn't broken, If Lexus supplies you these filters on a new car, nothing more is needed to worry about. It isn't rare, try putting your number into ebay and see that there are many sources. I am pretty sure you can get new filters from a dealer for $5-6 total cost. Actually $4.45 from one seller in a quantity of ten. Some aftermarket have been found wrongly sized, check some older threads. The other thing is don't believe right away what the consensus is saying, often things are believed with little or no evidence. The TRD's are also on ebay, can see pictures of them, US made, pretty much the same as Royal Purple or Amsoil. One thing I would watch for on ebay is to buy from a Toyota or Lexus dealer only, which includes the Toyota warranty and assurance they are not fakes. I bought some from a Lexus dealer for $11 for three in a different size, no tax, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=wat...A5&_sacat=0

goodtimes brings up a good point. If you can get the Toyota TRD filter then that would be good as it's a full synthetic and pretty high efficiency from what I recall.

The efficiency difference between the TG and XG is very small, so for all practical purposes they are high efficiency filters.

So what model TG did the application guide come up with. Sometimes there is an over-size that might work, which could give you more filters to choose from.
Would there be any difference between any of the filters as long as they do not fail for the first 3/4 of a million miles if not longer?

Originally Posted By: CT8
The OEM filter is a great filter.

+1, I used to believe in the flow versus filtration theory until I had a UOA done after 10k miles. After seeing it I'd be hard pressed to change filters.

Would there be any difference between any of the filters as long as they do not fail for the first 3/4 of a million miles if not longer?

There is if you are into efficiency numbers.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The OEM filter is a great filter.

+1, I used to believe in the flow versus filtration theory until I had a UOA done after 10k miles. After seeing it I'd be hard pressed to change filters.

Many here have said that a UOA can't really tell you how well the oil filter is working.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hard to believe the aftermarket knows any more about filters than the guys who designed and tested the engine.

As I am sure you have seen a million times before on this website, the usual counter-argument to this is that the guys who designed and tested the engine, while doubtless very skilled engineers, were constrained by the need to make compromises and build a filter cheap enough to also feature on Toyota vehicles. A more expensive filter would have a cost hit twice; first on construction, second on cost of ownership ratings.

At this point, I believe it is also customary to make dark and conspiratorial suggestions that the car maker may not be as fully invested in making their car last a long time as their customers would like - just long enough for the warranty to expire. (I have yet to see any compelling reason why I should believe that Toyota engages in such skullduggery).

Of course, you have a point. Unlike many of its luxury competitors, the GS sticks to a very conservative 5,000 mile oil change schedule and so probably doesn't have to put as much of a premium on a superb filter with massive contaminant capacity.

I do presume that the TRD filter would be a good, albeit expensive, compromise here. It's also designed specifically by Toyota for Toyota applications, but is built to higher specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back