Best oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville with the Buick 3800 V6. It is just about to hit 150k. I have been using Mobil 1 & a delco filter for some time now. I am really getting sick and tired of paying $5/qt for oil and am looking for an alternative that will offer just as much if not more protection, but maybe for a lower price. I would just run dino juice but I am a strong believer in synthetic oils. I have been seeing so much advertising for things like Valvoline MaxLife, Pennzoil Platinum, etc. Its all one big blur. My car is out of service for the moment (fuel pump) and is due for an oil change soon. I want something with good protection for a high mileage engine. The engine is currently using about 3/4 a quart every 3k at 4-5k change intervals. I like not having to change it every 5 minutes, another reason for liking synthetic.

So, whats the best oil for me?

Maxlife is a good synthetic blend oil. I'd also agree that Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil for the price. But, why not try running that M1 longer? 4-5k intervals isn't that long at all. My suggestion is to perform a Used Oil Analysis at 5,000 miles to judge how much life the oil has left. I'd say you could get at least 7,500 miles out of that oil. But, if you wanna stick with the 4-5k OCI's, any regular Dino oil will do the job, as long as you have good oil and air filtration, but once again a UOA wouldn't hurt. IMO, just go with a good Dino oil, an AcDelco oil filter and Air filter, and call it a day.

Quote:

Pennzoil Platinum is pretty cheap and very good.

... if you buy it in the five quart jug at Chinamart. Another one priced the same as Platinum is Quaker State synthetic.

For 5K OCIs, you could also find Supertech synthetic at Chinamart. It's even cheaper & you get the quart bottles.

ok, so pennzoil platinum then. can I run it as long as I would the M1? I have heard that about the most you should safely go is 5k, but I'm apparently wrong!

So we have PP, QS Syn, and Valvoline MaxLife. Now how about Castrol Syntec? That any good? If these are all really equal in quality, I will just go by price.

As for an air filter, I run a K&N drop in.

Quote:

ok, so pennzoil platinum then. can I run it as long as I would the M1? I have heard that about the most you should safely go is 5k, but I'm apparently wrong!

So we have PP, QS Syn, and Valvoline MaxLife. Now how about Castrol Syntec? That any good? If these are all really equal in quality, I will just go by price.

As for an air filter, I run a K&N drop in.

Castrol is no better than Pennzoil Platinum, and its more expensive. Lose the K&N filter in favor of a regular paper element (Lets not get into the debate over K&N) Basically, a paper element tends to filter better than K&N filters, and that will extend the life of the oil. I myself would be real comfortable with a paper filter, Pennzoil Platinum in the sump and a good quality oil filter for 5,000 miles, but once again, only a UOA can give you an accurate estimate of how well an oil will work over a given amount of time.

Quote:

Maxlife is a good synthetic blend oil. I'd also agree that Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil for the price. But, why not try running that M1 longer? 4-5k intervals isn't that long at all. My suggestion is to perform a Used Oil Analysis at 5,000 miles to judge how much life the oil has left. I'd say you could get at least 7,500 miles out of that oil. But, if you wanna stick with the 4-5k OCI's, any regular Dino oil will do the job, as long as you have good oil and air filtration, but once again a UOA wouldn't hurt. IMO, just go with a good Dino oil, an AcDelco oil filter and Air filter, and call it a day.

OH, and how do you perform a UOA. Sorry for the noob questions.

Use a site sponsor such as blackstone labs
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Basically you collect a untainted sample of your oil, either through the dipstick tube or from the drainplug, collect enough of the sample in the supplied bottle and send it in, and within a week or so you should get results via the mail. It would probably be best if you do some research on BITOG,a nd you will learn more about reading UOA's, what TBN is and so forth. Blackstone will also give you a detailed report about the condition of your oil, and possible problems your engine may be having, such as excess wear. I'm not an expert on UOA's, hopefully a more experienced member of BITOG can chime in here.

How about stock up on whatever synthetic is on sale or wait for a good sale? That's what I plan on doing. I'm also switching out my K&N for a paper filter.

For example, the Maxlife Synthetic on sale for $3.25/quart at AAP. Buy 20 quarts and with a 5,000-mile OCI you should have enough to last a couple years judging by the mileage on your car. Some people on here got synthetic for $2/quart - I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something like that.

Quote:

I'm confused!
confused.gif
Your initial post states that you do 4-5K OCIs. You never mentioned going longer than that.... even though Platinum will go alot longer comfortably.... in a semi-clean engine with no dilution or other issues.

No...I was saying, yeah, I do 4-5k OCIs for right now, and heard that you should not go more than 5k, and NOW I know differently from this thread. Sorry for the mixup. So I guess I WON'T be changing my oil right away.

also, is it a good idea...or..does it help anything to run a crankcase flush in a can between extended OCIs? i.e. something like CRC's Engine Flush? I was thinking this would keep everything clean between, but not sure if it really has any effect.

W John:
Something to think about.
In my wifes 04 Navigator right now. I run Amsoil ASL 5W30.

I change the oil once a yr. I also change the oil filter every 3k miles and add a New qt of ASL 5w30.

I'm not telling you to do this, it is just something to think about. I'm sure the PP will beable to hold up well, with a new qt being added every 3k miles and a new filter.-->{MHO}.

The 04 Nav averages around 8K to 10k miles a yr. Mosty hwy driving.

This suggestion all depends on your driving habits and how many miles you will drive in a yr.

This is just something to think about. But If you do something like this get a UOA at 5K to 6K miles.

Dyson showed the ASL was holding up well even at 10K miles.
With LC20 you should beable to reach 10K miles easy with the PP. www.lubecontrol.com

With 4000-5000 mile oil change intervals, i would think you could safely switch to something inexpensive like Exxon Superflo, Conoco/TropArtic, or Walmart Supertech dino, and continue your same interval.

I'm not knocking mobil1, but for the money there are plenty of regular dino oils out there that have proved themself over and over. If money is a factor, and you want to stick with a major name-brand oil instead of a lesser expensive store brand oil, i really think Superflo is hard to beat.

I ran my last car the first 100,000 miles on Valvoline allclimate and the second 100,000 miles (to 225,000 actually) on Napa brand oil (a lesser evolved valvoline all climate) and it never burned or leaked a drop.

I have used Superflo in my 'new' car quite a bit and it has performed great. I've read every UOA and VOA and post i could find on superflo and it's close cousin Mobilclean 5000 and feel their additive pack is at least as decent as most other more expensive oils.

Superflo is also the 'official' GM Goodwrench oil.

You dont have to spend a lot of money to get a very decent oil.

You've gotten a lot of miles out of that car to date, so I bet any synthetic will do you just fine at this point. It will probably rust out before it dies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back