Best Oil to use for F150 Running E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 F-150 with the 3V 5.4. I run it with E85 80%+ of the time and was wondering what the consensus was as to the best oil. I have been running Mobil 1 5W20 but saw some positive things written about Quaker State Q Torque power. I do pull a boat with it from time to time.

I am sending oil off for analysis from my first change tomorrow.

Thanks to all for any valuable insight.

Stick with the motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter until you get out of warranty.

Then, keep sticking with the motorcraft oil!

No need for the wallet drain synthetics in this motor unless you are extending your change intervals.

Agree with the above. A member did post some UOA's here at one point on a Ranger running mostly E-85...results weren't different than normal fuel results.

timbo- agree with the MC reco above, and out of curiosity, does the handbook or repair manual tell you to alter the OCI when using E85? If so, what...?

I believe the E85 is supposed to burn cleaner than regular gas, so there's no need to do anything different than what the factory recommends.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Stick with the motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter until you get out of warranty.

Then, keep sticking with the motorcraft oil!

No need for the wallet drain synthetics in this motor unless you are extending your change intervals.

You can get quality full synthetic oil for just about the same cost as premium conventional oils and blends when purchased on sale. Not every synthetic is priced at the levels of the boutique brands.

For a couple bucks difference I don't see that it is draining anyone's walllet?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timbo3416
I have a 2008 F-150 with the 3V 5.4. I run it with E85 80%+ of the time and was wondering what the consensus was as to the best oil. I have been running Mobil 1 5W20 but saw some positive things written about Quaker State Q Torque power. I do pull a boat with it from time to time.

I am sending oil off for analysis from my first change tomorrow.

Thanks to all for any valuable insight.

Quaker State Torque Power has been discontinued. It is a very good oil and there is some still around( on clearance usually )but long term it won't be just FYI.

My Brother has a 2006 250 SD w/ 5.4l( not E85 ). He replaced a 99 SD350 w/ 5.4L w/ 175K on it. He usually runs Mobil 1 5W-20 because he gets the best deal on it. He has run MTC synthetic( not the blend ), Penzoil Platinum, and Kendall GT1( full syn not blend )as well when he can't get the M1. I think his truck runs better on those other oils( ie; quieter and a bit smoother )than it does the Mobil 1 but he likes it and he has the longevity to prove it works.

His trucks are used for plowing and to haul lumber and a 16' enclosed utility trailer with our tools. Engine is worked HARD year round!

M1 will work as will QSUD, PP, Kendall, MTC, etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back