best oil ford manual trans and differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi new here I can't seam to find the right oil for my ford np435 manual trans and rear axle

what is the safest oil gl5...etc.

The safest/Best fluid to use in your transmission is going to surprise you.
Super-Tech semi synthetic 75W90 or Advanced Auto synthetic bland 75W90. The lube is blended by Warren Distribution.
It doesn't have the shift issues most 75W90 gear lubes have.
Gear lubes that tout limited slip use on the bottle are a bad thing in manual transmissions. The Warren/Super-Tech/Advanced stuff says for top off only.

I've used the Wal-Mart Super-Tech stuff in my WRX for over 100K without an issue.

The lube is $5.XX a quart at Wal-Mart and $9 at Advanced. Not all Wal-Marts carry it however.

Welcome to the site!

It would be helpful for us to the know the application and operating conditions, etc. Will help us narrow the recommendations from everything under the sun, to appropriate choices.

I presume by "safest", you are inferring a "best" lube? Well - there really isn't a "best" lube that can be defined over the 'net. To be declared "best" (safest, winner, etc), you'd have to test several different contenders in your specific application, run them through many tens-of-thousands of miles, and thoroughly analyze each with UOAs and other means. That takes way more time, money and patience that most any BITOGer will put into the topic.

However, there are many good products, that are more than capable of protecting your equipment. Use a product that is spec'd for the correct application.

I cannot speak to the NV needs; not familiar with that unit. If you need a GL-5 lube, most any decent brand name will suffice. There are gear lubes that meet even higher standards, for performance. See my link here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3017738#Post3017738
If you need a GL-5 that is also for a manual tranny, make sure to get one that is MT-1 rated.

You can choose a syn, semi-syn, or conventional lube, based upon your expected OCI duration. Note that the J2360 spec, which defines a very strict performance standard, is met by many dino oils as well as a long list of syns.

Last edited:
If you intend to drive this thing on a cold day in Nebraska, I would consider using a semi or full synthetic lubricant in both your rear axle and gearbox. As skyactive mentioned, do not use a GL-5 gear oil in the gearbox if it has limited slip additives in it. The friction modifiers (limited slip additives) will not allow the sychronizers to operate as intended and shifting may become difficult.

For the rear axle, the gear oil must say GL-5. This denotes it is for a hypoid gearset which your diff has. There are many brands, viscosities, and various conventional, semi, and full synthetics to choose from.

For the gearbox or manual transmission, GL-4 gear oil or a GL-5 gear oil without limited slip additives are best. There are a few synthetics available as well, and could provide better shifting when bitter cold outside. Amsoil and Redline both make a 75W-90 GL-4 manual transmission gear oil for about $15-20 a quart. Or try one of those gear oils skyactive mentioned.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If you intend to drive this thing on a cold day in Nebraska, I would consider using a semi or full synthetic lubricant in both your rear axle and gearbox. As skyactive mentioned, do not use a GL-5 gear oil in the gearbox if it has limited slip additives in it.

The "safest" in my question was that gl5, hyoid, friction mods,etc.
dissolves "yellow metals" ie. synchros

I can't seamed to find anything other than gl5 (but they say it is safe to use in my tranny, but I don't trust them.

well Pennzoil has the "synchromesh" version and Lucas syth.
version sounds good but Pennzoil's gear oil says for gm and Chrysler applications so would that work for ford

I want to change the oil out completely both trans and diff. who knows how long is been there 20+ years 80,000miles

btw "dnewton3" the 4 speed( non sychro. 1st and reverse and sychro. 2nd-4th , basically 3speed with granny)

is/was Ford's most common 4 speed 60's-90's next to the equally popular t18/t19 same with Dodge

oh and my rear axle is a 8.8 ford 3.08gear 'non' limit slip

Last edited:
The rear 8.8 is a robust unit; with no L/S to worry about I'd say just about any GL-5 would work.

As for the tranny, I'd get a either a true synchromesh lube such as the PZ product, or a J2360 that does not have FM in it.

Go to Walmart and get the exact lube skyactive described for both your gearbox and diff. Keep it simple. It worked for him for 100,000 miles in a high performance application. Semi-synthetic for better cold weather operation too. Seems like a good place to start for an older vehicle. Pennzoil synchromesh is sort of thin for an app that originally called for sae 90 gear oil in the manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Pennzoil synchromesh is sort of thin for an app that originally called for sae 90 gear oil in the manual transmission.

well my trans has many different lubes apparently some applications call for even 50w motor oil!!!
because apparently 85,90 even 50w oils have about the same lube characteristics

so I guess Walyworlds brand will do

Last edited:
Are you near any NAPA store? Sometimes they can get Sta-Lube 85w90 GL-4 oil for manual transmissions. It is costly, but it may be a better oil for the job.

yes I have a NAPA store
here ( that's one of the places that said gl5 is fine if it doesn't have friction additives )

If I can fine the one which weight 75w90, 90w140, 90w etc.?

for such a popular/common and robust tranny why no g1 g2 g3 g4
etc. oils?

Originally Posted By: howellt85
yes I have a NAPA store
here ( that's one of the places that said gl5 is fine if it doesn't have friction additives )

If I can fine the one which weight 75w90, 90w140, 90w etc.?

for such a popular/common and robust tranny why no g1 g2 g3 g4
etc. oils?

If it calls for SAE90, 85w90, 80w90, and 75w90 will do the job.

Originally Posted By: howellt85
hi new here I can't seam to find the right oil for my ford np435 manual trans and rear axle

what is the safest oil gl5...etc.

For the transmission ford makes and excellent Manual Transmission Fluid (see link below) ive used their synthetic manual transmission fluid. it is 75w90 Gl4 and is a really impressive fluid for manual ford and mazda transmissions.

for the diff Motorcraft 75w140 is hard to beat in a truck/mustang differential. It is a great fluid. both can be had at the dealer. make sure you tell them to give you a good price! my local ford dealer always sells me fluids at great rates.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx

awesome !!! thanks for the info...

just want to take care of the truck it has about 80,000 original miles! 1985

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back