BEST oil for my Mustang GT 4.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did searcg. surprised to see no topics on this one. I searched several times.

what is the best 5w20 I can run in the 2005 4.6L 3v motor? I think I am running 5w30 now but I read they now recomend 5w20.

motor is strong, has 14k on it. I have owned it for couple months now. originally owned by female friend who daddy did all the work on it.

You can stick with a 5w30 in your climate. Mobil1 Valvoline Synthetic, Pennzoil Synthetic are just a few good options.

Originally Posted By: MZ-Bird

what is the best 5w20 I can run in the 2005 4.6L 3v motor? I think I am running 5w30 now but I read they now recomend 5w20.

motor is strong, has 14k on it. I have owned it for couple months now. originally owned by female friend who daddy did all the work on it.

What do you mean by the best oil? 5W-30 is better.A high mile oil would be the best.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: MZ-Bird

What do you mean by the best oil? 5W-30 is better.A high mile oil would be the best.

manual calls for 5w20 . I could be running 5w20 now...I said 5w30 but I have run that in my old car for years. I might be remembering wrong now.

anyhow...

all oils are not the same. all oils do acceptable jobs these days but I still know some are better than others.

I used to run mobile 1 but not any more. I read its not really a true synthetic.

I suppose in the end any oil will work. figured someone here would say which bran was better than the rest due to ingredients and testing. lol

Ran my 08 Bullitt to 80k miles with Mobil 1 5w20 since I bought it at 30k (before that dealer serviced with 5w20 semi syn). No issues, and it was driven... spiritedly. Handful of trips down the strip every year also. I usually changed oil around 5k miles. Never really got a UOA as I changed it so frequently.

I always used the FL-820s or more recently before I sold it the Ford Racing version of the same filter. That thing would return high 20s MPG highway, and ran a best of 13.29 down the quarter on street tires (only mods then were tune, shifter, panhard upgrade).

That video above is interesting but doesn't really prove 5w30 is "better" than 5w20 in the 3v. One truck probably used some dino and ran longer intervals.

One thing I might suggest would be an oil separator. I had a JLT on mine that caught some fluid. Help keep the intake and valves a little cleaner.

My 2001 Bullitt ran terrible when the Lincoln Dealer "accidentally" put 5w30 in there at my first oil change. Felt like the car was towing a Airstream trailer. My engine was properly designed and clearanced for a 20 grade and did just Jolly on the 5w20.

You car is water cooled and doesn't require thicker oil for climate.

So far only Fords and Hondas have run OK on 20's in MY LIFE. Fords moreso than Hondas and Nissans.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My 2001 Bullitt ran terrible when the Lincoln Dealer "accidentally" put 5w30 in there at my first oil change. Felt like the car was towing a Airstream trailer.

I find that very hard to believe. The difference in operating viscosity between the 5w20 and 5w30 is so slight that the horsepower difference you would see would probably only be maybe 1 or 2 at the most. We're talking a viscosity difference of maybe 2cst at 100c (from 8.5 to 10.5)

I shouldn't go there. Arco sounds like a bunch of nonsense.
But I had the same issue on a 15 F250 6.2 gasser.

I ran 5w20 and after reading a Ford engineers plea to go to 5w30 I did.
Magnatec in both.
The 6.2 has a drone when warming up and it lasted far longer even in the summer on 5w30.
The engine seemed slightly bogged down. I went back to 5w20 and everything went back to normal.

In other cars I noticed absolutely nothing from 0w20 to 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Patman
My 2001 Bullitt ran terrible when the Lincoln Dealer "accidentally" put 5w30 in there at my first oil change. Felt like the car was towing a Airstream trailer.

I find that very hard to believe. The difference in operating viscosity between the 5w20 and 5w30 is so slight that the horsepower difference you would see would probably only be maybe 1 or 2 at the most. We're talking a viscosity difference of maybe 2cst at 100cc (from 8.5 to 10.5)

I agree...

If that were my car, I would run Pennzoil Platinum (or Ultra) 5W-30 year round. I'm sure you get some nice summer heat being down in the gulf.

My 2001 Bullitt ran terrible when the Lincoln Dealer "accidentally" put 5w30 in there at my first oil change. Felt like the car was towing a Airstream trailer. My engine was properly designed and clearanced for a 20 grade and did just Jolly on the 5w20.

You car is water cooled and doesn't require thicker oil for climate.

So far only Fords and Hondas have run OK on 20's in MY LIFE. Fords moreso than Hondas and Nissans.
O.K. The dealer must have poured to oil into the engine with is left hand. Rookie move.

My '02 "prefers" the 20. Runs a bit quieter. I use Amsoil. I know the cost/performance ratio, but that's what has always been used with it.

Ford likes running 5w-20 for economy - I don't see any harm in a 30 weight especially when temps are higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back