Best oil filter alternative to Purolator for $5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Why would you run an oil filter for two OCIs? That is nonsense. Oil filters are cheap. Take it off, throw it away, swap it out and go back to better filtration. I dont buy into that bunk that the older a filter gets the "better" it filters.

Nothing wrong with running a filter for 2 OCIs assuming its rated for the anticipated use. Be sure your engine isn't sludge'd either.

If you don't run them at least close to their full potential, you might as well buy something a bit cheaper. Motorcraft for example. The FL400s will work for your truck.

even if i was bankrupt i would never use a filter for 2 oil changes,i understand trying to stay on a budget but if you can afford a $5 filter you could save up and get a $7 filter (if better quality)
your car is valuable treat it well

Using an oil filter 2 times isn't mistreating a car. If it was, do you think people on BITOG would do it so frequently?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Using an oil filter 2 times isn't mistreating a car. If it was, do you think people on BITOG would do it so frequently?

It would be if using a tearolator or OCOD

I get tough guards on amazon subscribe and save for $5

Last edited:

And to add, would many of the major auto makers stay to change the filter every other OCI in their service manual if it was something harmful or bad for the engine?

Originally Posted By: Stewie

It would be if using a tearolator or OCOD

Seeing how the discussion was for a filter rated at 15k, I dont think we have that issue.

But I guess if someone wants to run (2) 2.5k OCIs on the Extra Guard, this still wouldn't be an issue.. Just a waste of oil.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

And to add, would many of the major auto makers stay to change the filter every other OCI in their service manual if it was something harmful or bad for the engine?

Exactly.

Heck, our Kawasaki Mule OM says to change the filter every 600 miles and gives no time use limit. (100 hr OCI's btw) It is 10 years old and just under 1000 miles.. so technically it would be on its second oil filter if I followed the recommendations. That is a bit too much for me so I just change the filter every other OCI.

As far as filters under $5, Menard's has their Quaker State filters for $1.99 each. At least locally, they are cheaper than Purolator Classic and Fram Extra Guards even at their normal prices.

They are Purolator made (no tearing reported) and appear very stout. Super thick cans too.

I buy my toyota filters from rock auto.

They carry the OEM Denso filter, which is the exact same as the toyota filter.

Same price as the dealer, so I just let them deliver one to the house for the same price.

Denso makes an excellent filter.

Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra. Wix filters are also good, I'm just not that impressed with their customer service when I e-mailed them about a defect in one of their filters that I found. They refused to do anything about it, and just said not to use it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I buy my toyota filters from rock auto.

They carry the OEM Denso filter, which is the exact same as the toyota filter.

Same price as the dealer, so I just let them deliver one to the house for the same price.

Denso makes an excellent filter.
The DENSO oil filter I use for my 04 V6 Camry V6(150-1002) has end caps while the filter Denso makes for Toyota(90915-YZZD1) lacks the end caps. The DENSO filter also uses a different design for the relief valve and uses a silicone anti-drain back valve.Both filters are high quality with very even pleat spacing.

I would never run a top tier filter like M1 for two OCI; for me it is usually (3) or (4) 5K OCI.

It is not clear from some of the comments how a filter "knows" how many OC it has been used for

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back