Best oil additive to stop engine knock?

Originally Posted by Dogred08
I figured the extreme carbon build up would cause the compression to increase causing spark knock that's why I cleaned it was to reduce compression

That's true but you are also cleaning the valves and seats and replacing an old head gasket which likely may not have been at 100 percent either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I figured the extreme carbon build up would cause the compression to increase causing spark knock that's why I cleaned it was to reduce compression

That's true but you are also cleaning the valves and seats and replacing an old head gasket which likely may not have been at 100 percent either.

You can actually reuse those L Head Briggs head gaskets if you're careful, so I doubt it was leaking before he took it off.

Originally Posted by Silverado12

You can actually reuse those L Head Briggs head gaskets if you're careful, so I doubt it was leaking before he took it off.

It depends if the gasket was the old style with metal sides. The newer ones would rip apart no matter how careful you were in removing the head. I always seen some kind of leakage on those metal ones anyway after they have been in use for many years. Yes, you can reuse the metal gaskets but I seriously doubt it would seal again at close to100 percent.

always seen some kind of leakage on those metal ones anyway after they have been in use for many years. Yes, you can reuse the metal gaskets but I seriously doubt it would seal again at close to100 percent.

the old trick I've heard about was to 'cook' the metal head gasket in an oven for 20-30 minutes.
Not sure I recall the temp. but 250-300 should be enough.
Idea was to expand the metal back to near original thickness.

My 2¢

I had a spare head gasket from a blown motor I had lying around so no extra cost and when I pull the head off of this motor the gasket ripped in half and was disintegrating.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
You won't fix a knock with additives or thicker oil. Thicker oil or something like Lucas oil stabilizer will make it a bit quieter for a short while, but eventually you will have the same result, which is the engine knocking louder until failure.

True but the heavier oil will tend to "cushion" and might buy someone some time. I have run a few engines a long time with a slight knock.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
You won't fix a knock with additives or thicker oil. Thicker oil or something like Lucas oil stabilizer will make it a bit quieter for a short while, but eventually you will have the same result, which is the engine knocking louder until failure.

True but the heavier oil will tend to "cushion" and might buy someone some time. I have run a few engines a long time with a slight knock.

Oh it will definitely buy you some time, but won't "stop" it as the OP's question implied.
frown.gif

Back