Best lube for old axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked the 10-year old 140wt lube in my 49 year old Dana 44 under my truck and it's black. The unit doesn't make any noise and seems to be in pretty good shape considering it's advanced age. Should I stick with 140wt? Is this lube still available? I HAVE heard that changing the rear end lube is not a good idea. This is not based on any logic that I can imagine, but I have head old mechanics claiming that it's better to leave well enough alone when it comes to axles. Any thoughts on this?

Moisture can accumulate from condensation products and create acids.

I would replace it with a mineral oil or Semi-synthetic 75W140.

Maybe the Scheaffer's rep can help you.

[ April 04, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

a differential is a completely different animal than an engine or trans. Changing oils wont effect anything.

Id say to go to a synthetic differential fluid. I changed my 20 year old Mercedes diff to mobil1 at 172k, and was happy with the results. Another fellow MB dieseler used M1 and showed before and after results - over about 10k. It was like night and day in terms of cleanliness!

I would suggest adding or buying a fluid that has LSD additive in it. Whether or not you have a non-open type differential, redline I believe claims that the use of LSD additive helps 'harden' the metal surface, and if the surfaces were effected by acid chemistry, this may help alter tham back to a more normal state.

JMH

quote:

I have head old mechanics claiming that it's better to leave well enough alone when it comes to axles

Those wouldn't be the same mechanics that fix axles for a living, would they? Besides, if its 10 years old in a 49 year old truck somebody changed it and it has lasted 10 years. Unless I know for sure the rear end was recently serviced, I always change rear end lube immediately after getting a used vehicle, in order to get out wear-in metallic goop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back