Best Live Data from obd 2 scanner

Are the metrics like Fuel trim, Throttle position, etc... the same on all of the obd 2 scanners and computers apps that I could buy? I mean do they all have the same live data numbers? I am looking for the most comprehensive but reasonably priced ($200 and under) live data scanner/app that I can find. The live data is my biggest priority because I like seeing what my engine is doing in real time. Any scanner can read codes.

No they are not all the same, but you're basically guaranteed to get o2 sensors, short term fuel trim, long term fuel trim, open/closed loop status, coolant temperature, throttle position, engine rpm, intake air temp, and MAF/MAP. On even the cheap $30 scanners with live data.

No they are not all the same, but you're basically guaranteed to get o2 sensors, short term fuel trim, long term fuel trim, open/closed loop status, coolant temperature, throttle position, engine rpm, intake air temp, and MAF/MAP. On even the cheap $30 scanners with live data.
It is cool that I can get that with a $30 scanner. I want the manufacturers to list their live data parameters on their website so I can see the list of the live data that is available for each scanner. I can't find that anywhere.

The data that DemoFly posted is a federal requirement to have in the OBDII stream.

Manufacturers will make data available to their own closed system scan tools... interesting stuff like knock retard from optimum. This is way more useful than "spark advance" which is a freebie because you can see if your fuel grade is working for you etc.

Somewhere in the middle are the semi-pro scan tools where Innova (et al) license information from the manufacturer and can decode "some" of the non-free PIDs. And enthusiast cars will attract tuners who will reverse-engineer the data stream without manufacturer assistance. I name innova because I have two of their scan tools and they've designed a range of tools and features... designed to become obsolete over time and to make you pay more for more stuff. I got a newer truck with airbag problems and needed a newer scan tool to go with it... all according to their marketing plan.

There are "pay by fix" outfits like Carista that offer a cell phone scan tool for a very low price but you have to pay ten bucks every time you do something with it.

Finally there are pirates who just crack the factory software and pair it up with bastardized chinese dongles. This can be a good value if you devote a computer/ phone to it without any sort of data connection, just in case you develop a virus.

So the question always boils down to what is your car and what are you trying to do?

The data that DemoFly posted is a federal requirement to have in the OBDII stream.

Manufacturers will make data available to their own closed system scan tools... interesting stuff like knock retard from optimum. This is way more useful than "spark advance" which is a freebie because you can see if your fuel grade is working for you etc.

Somewhere in the middle are the semi-pro scan tools where Innova (et al) license information from the manufacturer and can decode "some" of the non-free PIDs. And enthusiast cars will attract tuners who will reverse-engineer the data stream without manufacturer assistance. I name innova because I have two of their scan tools and they've designed a range of tools and features... designed to become obsolete over time and to make you pay more for more stuff. I got a newer truck with airbag problems and needed a newer scan tool to go with it... all according to their marketing plan.

There are "pay by fix" outfits like Carista that offer a cell phone scan tool for a very low price but you have to pay ten bucks every time you do something with it.

Finally there are pirates who just crack the factory software and pair it up with bastardized chinese dongles. This can be a good value if you devote a computer/ phone to it without any sort of data connection, just in case you develop a virus.

So the question always boils down to what is your car and what are you trying to do?

Which Innova scanners do you have ?

Which Innova scanners do you have ?
I have an older 3140d and the newest 5610. They are ok but not that impressed with either. I just bought a Thinktool Pros and that is a nice scanner that does a lot of stuff. Expensive though.

If I may...
Thing have evolved a bit, and I would suggest:
Join a site for the car in question, they probably use a particular software, that will then require certain interfaces.
For instance, I sold a Bluedriver (beautiful software, etc) to get a AlfaOBD/OBDLinkMX combo that can open brake solenoids for bleeding, etc (FCA). I'm sure there's Ford combo too. The brand particular software will access particular sub-network types that the interfaces needs to be able to access physically. At this level, all will have base software that can display gauges, live data values, etc. And combos not much more than the base Bluedriver.

If you have an android device that you can use, I can highly recommend using the Torque Pro app (~$10) and the below mentioned OBDII Bluetooth dongle:

You can set it up in almost any fashion with custom PIDs, displays, etc., for each vehicle you have and it will log all of the data into spreadsheet. I have been using this setup for the last year or so, and before that I used the BlueDriver dongle/app. The Torque Pro with the Veepeak Bluetooth Dongle allows me to monitor, store and save, more engine parameters, than the BlueDriver setup.

One can even hack into the Veepeak Bluetooth dongle and monitor engine related functions and sensor outputs.

This is what I want. I want the manufacturer specific stuff but without the high price tag.

I have a 98 Honda CRV and would like a handheld scanner with honda specific data. I want it to read codes and live data for my other vehicles too though.

I have read in a crv forum that the Foxwell NT510 Elite is available with honda specific stuff and I am researching it now.

This is what I want. I want the manufacturer specific stuff but without the high price tag.

I have a 98 Honda CRV and would like a handheld scanner with honda specific data. I want it to read codes and live data for my other vehicles too though.

I have read in a crv forum that the Foxwell NT510 Elite is available with honda specific stuff and I am researching it now.
The reality is that not all generic scanners will give you all of the info that you want and to get a scanner that gives you more info, you are usually going to have to pay a higher price tag.

Case in point. I have two 98 Chevy trucks. One data PID that is a must with these trucks, especially if you disturb the distributor is the cam/crank offset reading. My Innova 5610 which is one of their top of the line scanners which cost around $330, does not support this PID. My cheaper Innova 3140d also does not support this PID and it cost me about $250 back in the day. My old AutoXray 6000 scanner that I paid around $600 for back in the day does have this PID. My new Thinktool Pros which cost me about $850 on sale probably has this PID but I have not checked yet.

My old AutoXray scanner shows around 50 data PIDS for these trucks and the Innova 5610 and 3140d only shows about 35.

To get all of the manufacturer specific stuff for your Honda, you are going to have to get a Honda specific scanner which is probably high dollar unless you can find one used on Ebay or something. There is a reason why hardly any independent diagnostic mechanic uses cheap scanners like Innova, Actron, Foxwell, Bluedriver, etc. They are all using Snap on, Autel, Launch, Bosch, etc. for aftermarket scanners or the actual manufacturer specific scanners like Ford's IDS or GM's Tech 2.

The reality is that not all generic scanners will give you all of the info that you want and to get a scanner that gives you more info, you are usually going to have to pay a higher price tag.

Case in point. I have two 98 Chevy trucks. One data PID that is a must with these trucks, especially if you disturb the distributor is the cam/crank offset reading. My Innova 5610 which is one of their top of the line scanners which cost around $330, does not support this PID. My cheaper Innova 3140d also does not support this PID and it cost me about $250 back in the day. My old AutoXray 6000 scanner that I paid around $600 for back in the day does have this PID. My new Thinktool Pros which cost me about $850 on sale probably has this PID but I have not checked yet.

My old AutoXray scanner shows around 50 data PIDS for these trucks and the Innova 5610 and 3140d only shows about 35.

To get all of the manufacturer specific stuff for your Honda, you are going to have to get a Honda specific scanner which is probably high dollar unless you can find one used on Ebay or something. There is a reason why hardly any independent diagnostic mechanic uses cheap scanners like Innova, Actron, Foxwell, Bluedriver, etc. They are all using Snap on, Autel, Launch, Bosch, etc. for aftermarket scanners or the actual manufacturer specific scanners like Ford's IDS or GM's Tech 2.
That AutoXray 6000 sounds like what I'm looking for. I just searched ebay and there is only a "for parts/repair" option available.

I looked at the thinktool pros and it looks like more than I need.

The Foxwell 510 elite is from a Chinese based company that only has dealers in US. I'm staying away from that.

I found another PC based scan tool called https://www.autoenginuity.com/

This one is $230 then another $230 gets me the Honda specific stuff. I just don't want a pc based solution. I may have to go with this one though if I can't find anything else.

Last edited:
Yes, the AutoXray scanners went away in the mid 2000's and the company no longer exists. I've heard of autoenginuity and it seems like a decent scan tool but I'm not a fan of PC based scanners either.

The Thinktool Pros is probably way more scanner than I need but since I work on family and friend's vehicles sometimes, it's nice to have a scanner that has more capabilities than what I currently have and plus we have some newer vehicles in our family.

I was working on my fiancé's son's 2008 Ford Focus replacing the door handle reinforcement and noticed that his airbag light was on. I hooked up my Innova 5610 to see if it would tell me anything about why the airbag light was on and there were no codes stored for the airbag. I didn't get a chance to hook the Pros up but I'm sure it would have given me some info. It's just hard to know which scanners will give you the info that you want.

Good post, I have Snap-on Solus Ultra, Autel Elite, Forscan, HPtuners, Tech 2, GDS-2, & IDS. If I had to pick one....I'd be the Autel hands down.

Reactions: wtd
Good post, I have Snap-on Solus Ultra, Autel Elite, Forscan, HPtuners, Tech 2, GDS-2, & IDS. If I had to pick one....I'd be the Autel hands down.
Thanks. You have to have a variety of scanners because there is none out there that will do everything you want or need across all of the different car lines.

I bought an Autel HT200 at Walmart. Comes with a free lifetime license for 1 make, others are available but for $50 it’s extremely powerful and you don’t need the license for pulling live data or clearing codes. There were options for programming key fobs, actuating the ABS to do a brake bleed etc. it also will give you a TON of live data, going so far as to tell you if a turn signal is on or not.

I bought an Autel HT200 at Walmart. Comes with a free lifetime license for 1 make, others are available but for $50 it’s extremely powerful and you don’t need the license for pulling live data or clearing codes. There were options for programming key fobs, actuating the ABS to do a brake bleed etc. it also will give you a TON of live data, going so far as to tell you if a turn signal is on or not.
No. I want a handheld device that is not wireless. I see the OTC Genisys Evo is a top quality unit that is sold from $200-700 used online. I only need the 1996-2010 years roughly. I don't want to buy a vehicle with too much computer gadgetry. I want to keep driving simple vehicles.

Back