Best leather conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt
For those of you buying expensive leather conditioners, you're wasting your time if you have protected aniline leather. I use Zaino leather products regardless because I like the scent, but protected leather has a poly clearcoat on it, and you can protect it with the same stuff you use on your dash (really!). Leather care products WILL NOT soak into clearcoated leather, so if you leave a leather care product on your clearcoated leather, buff it off, and then convince yourself that the seat "really soaked that up", you're suffering from a placebo effect.

In that case, what should I do? The leather surfaces of my front seats feel very rough/coarse to the touch and overall, the material feels very hard. The back seat doesn't seem to have this problem.

I tried applying Lexol Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner several times, but it hasn't helped.

This is on an '02 530i with sport seats. I bought it 1.5 years ago and it's been like this since I bought it. Up until last month, I was living in FL, so I thought high humidity would actually prevent leather from becoming so brittle and hard, but I guess this issue has nothing to do with humidity.

Others have recommended trying Leatherique, but from your post it seems like that's not going to do squat.

Originally Posted By: HammerDown
Originally Posted By: Colt
Aniline leather is simply dyed with pigment added for consistency in color, and shows imperfections in the hide, will fade out eventually in the sun, and wears fairly easily - not a good leather for cars, to say the least.

Semi-aniline leather is very lightly clearcoated, and is typically softer than typical coated leather. It is subject to wear quicker and easier than coated leather.

Protected aniline leather (what most of us actually have in cars) are clearcoated, and are the best for wear, color consistency, etc.

For those of you buying expensive leather conditioners, you're wasting your time if you have protected aniline leather. I use Zaino leather products regardless because I like the scent, but protected leather has a poly clearcoat on it, and you can protect it with the same stuff you use on your dash (really!). Leather care products WILL NOT soak into clearcoated leather, so if you leave a leather care product on your clearcoated leather, buff it off, and then convince yourself that the seat "really soaked that up", you're suffering from a placebo effect.

Great post...I often wondered how (if) at all a leather "conditioner" actually gets to the leather under the dyed/painted topcoat.

If you ask Lexol, they say it is not a 100% water proof sealing and will develop micro-cracks over time as you sit on it (flexing, etc) allowing water/oil to help hydrate the leather. That is, over time it will be more receptive. I am not saying I believe all this but I was asking various suppliers.

With top coated leathers, the primary job of a "conditioner" is to protect from UV and seal to keep dirt, sweat, etc off as much as possible. Many "conditioners" are mostly water, some lotions for spreading, and oils for scent/

I ended up getting 4 Star Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you ask Lexol, they say it is not a 100% water proof sealing and will develop micro-cracks over time as you sit on it (flexing, etc) allowing water/oil to help hydrate the leather. That is, over time it will be more receptive. I am not saying I believe all this but I was asking various suppliers.

With top coated leathers, the primary job of a "conditioner" is to protect from UV and seal to keep dirt, sweat, etc off as much as possible. Many "conditioners" are mostly water, some lotions for spreading, and oils for scent/

I ended up getting 4 Star Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

I believe Lexol would have to say that if they want to sell their product.
Like I mentioned,I still use Zaino conditioner for it's matte finish,UV protection and leather scent but a product like Aerospace Protectant 303 would do well with it's UV protection.
I have perfortated A/C cooling seats.Conditioner penetrating through the holes which can be a negative thing too.I've read if too much conditioner getting into those holes could cause the leather to stretch.Could be a myth,though.
I use 303 on all the vinyl..

Hi, first poster here. I use the Mothers Leather Cleaner/Conditioner because I like the smell and it seems to be a gentle cleaner. It does make the seats very slippery though.

It also really pi$$es off our Shih Tzu dog because she slides all around the back seat after I use it. Great entertainment for $12.
LOL.gif

If you perforated seats, the best way to control the amount applied (keep from filling up the holes) is to put the conditioner on an application pad (terry cloth or microfiber) and then apply lightly. Then buff off with a towel.

I have used many cleaners/conditioners for leather over the years. Leatherique, Meguires, BMW, Autoglym etc. The best result in my opinion is to use warm water with a small amount of pure soap formulated for woolens/delicates and apply with a terry toweling cloth then buff off with a dry cloth. Cleans beautifully and leaves the leather soft and fresh.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back