Best lab analysis for transmission fluid?

Hi All,

I was wondering what transmission analysis lab would be the best to send in the results of my fluid with the most comprehensive data?

I know about Blackstone-labs but that's about it.

Thanks!

Go to NAPA for $16 you get an oil analysis kit. Mail in the sample. Similar to UOA except they provide TAN vs TBN. Blackstone can do it also but is too expensive and the TBN/TAN is an additional charge. Polaris is good also. When you submit the UOA you list what equipment (like auto tran) and what ATF it was filled with. They can do any lubricating oil I would assume. I have done ATF.

NAPA may need to get from warehouse. So maybe a 1 day delay. I buy a few at a time.

I am waiting for my diesel engine oil UOA.

Remember to put the black sample holder in a box or padded envelope. If you mail the black sample holder with a stamp on it add an extra month for delivery. It must go in the "slow mail bag" at the USPS sorting facility.

What are you looking to find?

Just looking to see the amount of additives remaining as well as the condition of the oil to give me a better idea of where I stand. I have a Mazda CX-5 and the user manual doesn't state to change the transmission oil or anything so it's very hard to guess how long it will last for.

Go to NAPA for $16 you get an oil analysis kit. Mail in the sample. Similar to UOA except they provide TAN vs TBN. Blackstone can do it also but is too expensive and the TBN/TAN is an additional charge. Polaris is good also. When you submit the UOA you list what equipment (like auto tran) and what ATF it was filled with. They can do any lubricating oil I would assume. I have done ATF.

NAPA may need to get from warehouse. So maybe a 1 day delay. I buy a few at a time.

I am waiting for my diesel engine oil UOA.

Remember to put the black sample holder in a box or padded envelope. If you mail the black sample holder with a stamp on it add an extra month for delivery. It must go in the "slow mail bag" at the USPS sorting facility.

Perfect, this was the answer I was looking for. How would you compare NAPA's testing vs. Blackstone? I recently sent in my UOA to Blackstone but it was very expensive ($30 for the kit + $10 for TBN).

Just looking to see the amount of additives remaining as well as the condition of the oil to give me a better idea of where I stand. I have a Mazda CX-5 and the user manual doesn't state to change the transmission oil or anything so it's very hard to guess how long it will last for.
Clean fresh oil is always good when in doubt change it.

Clean fresh oil is always good when in doubt change it.

Yep, I don't disagree with that but I just like to get statistics/numbers to analyze and archive it somewhere for reference based on my driving habits.

Back