Best House Brand Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any house brand oils that people really recommend and/or have a VOA or a UOA that shows a house brand oil is pretty darn good?

I am currently using Walmart Super Tech Synthetic just because it is the cheapest synthetic I can find. I have noticed that a lot of stores sell their own oil. Even Sears has a brand of motor oil.

I know any oil that has the starburst and the API rating will work. Just wondering if their really is a House Brand that people strongly recommend.

i have only seen voa's on Super Tech and napa and both showed weaker additive packages than most name brand stuff. mostly differances in Calcuim and Moly

Napa..Best store brand you can buy. It's made by Ashland/Valvoline. I use the Napa brand High Mileage in my truck and I get exactly the same wear, MPG and performance as I did with Maxlife. I also run Napa conventional 5W20 in my girlfriend's Accord and have had no problems at all with it. Her car gets great MPG too.

I don't use synthetic oil but there are some guys on here who are using the Napa synth and they are very satisfied with it. Somewhere here there is an analysis showing Napa Synth is almost identical to Valvoline Synpower.

Whatever differences there might be between Napa store brand and Valvoline are very small and negligible. And the price on Napa brand is roughly half that of Valvoline. Napa synth is on sale until the end of the month too, $2.99 per quart.

I really don't see how you do any better using a house brand over watching for deals on a name brand. Right now the stash includes some QuakerState full syn for ~8.00 a gallon, and some mobil 1 at 12.00 a gallon, which is much less than SuperTech.

But, I did buy a case of Napa Syn which is similar to Valvoline SynPower....

I check the oil section in almost every store I go into. I have never seen any brand name synthetic under $20 for a 5qt jug in my area. Cheapest brand name I can find is Pennzoil Platinum for $20 per jug. This is a good price but Super Tech is cheaper and works very well.

If I did find Oil as cheap as you mentioned for synthetic then I would certainly pick it up in a heart beat.

Anyways, we are off topic. I wasn't really concerned with price in this thread. Just wondering if there are any House Brand Oils that are really good and compare well with the big names. Obviously NAPA is a very good house brand oil. Are there any others?

Also, I'm not looking to switch brands, this is purely a curiousity thread. Just wondering kind of thing.

I read either here or somewhere else that Supertech is a recycled oil. Not sure if it`s myth or fact or if it really makes a difference in a real world application.

Pep Boys looks like rebottled Kendall (around here anyway)- that should be right up there with the NAPA/Ashland.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I use the Napa brand High Mileage in my truck and I get exactly the same wear, MPG and performance as I did with Maxlife.

Just curious how you know you get the same wear? You got several UOA on the two oils under similar conditions?

No, I have never had a UOA done. I say that because my oil level is always the same whether I use Napa brand or Maxlife. That tells me that both oils hold up and burn off the same very small amount, so I just call that "wearing the same".

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I like AAP house brand oil it runs very smooth in all the cars I put it in

Its even better at $3.88/jug. Look for the grand opening sales in your area.

No, I have never had a UOA done. I say that because my oil level is always the same whether I use Napa brand or Maxlife. That tells me that both oils hold up and burn off the same very small amount, so I just call that "wearing the same".

So you have ZERO idea if they wear the same or not.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

So you have ZERO idea if they wear the same or not.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking the same too. Took the words right out of my mouth. NAPA oil is good though. I won't purchase it for regular price because name brands are cheaper, but I did load up in my area when their dino oil was .99 cents.

I'm not trying to insult anyone (people are so freaking sensitive on bitog) just stating you have no idea about the wear levels without several UOA.

Consumption has nothing to do with wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back