Best Halogen Headlight Bulb?

I've replaced halogen bulbs with LEDs in several cars, including my daughter's Hyundai and my wife's Accord. All LEDs were high quality, with small fans to cool the 12VDC to 5VDC converter. None blind oncoming drivers.
There's still a stigma on LEDs, but if you look for a good quality one where they design the emitter to closely resemble a single point source AND that emitter is positioned where the halogen element would be, then those LED bulbs should be fine.

Phillips or Osram. Have Osram Xenon bulbs in my Saab and they lasted 12 years.

Sylvania is Osram as well . These are the SYLVANIA XtraVision that are clear , no color . Very good value for under $22 a pair .

IMG_8628.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
IMG_8627.JPG
IMG_8629.JPG
IMG_8634.JPG
IMG_8633.JPG

Thanks for all the input! To summarize...

No, no, no, no, no...
Sylvania SilverStar
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra

Yes...
Sylvania XtraVision
Phillips NightGuide platinum
Phillips X-tremeVision
Phillips VisionPlus
Wagner TruView
OSRAM Night Breaker

I find it interesting that Sylvania's website lists good, better, and best as...
Sylvania XtraVision = Good
Sylvania SilverStar = Better
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra = Best

Thanks for all the input! To summarize...

No, no, no, no, no...
Sylvania SilverStar
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra

Yes...
Sylvania XtraVision
Phillips NightGuide platinum
Phillips X-tremeVision
Phillips VisionPlus
Wagner TruView
OSRAM Night Breaker

I find it interesting that Sylvania's website lists good, better, and best as...
Sylvania XtraVision = Good
Sylvania SilverStar = Better
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra = Best
I would pass on the Philips Nightguide Platinum. It's Philip's version of Silverstar Ultra.

Sylvania's rating is based on the consumer spending more money, thinking more is more. But in less is more.

I’ll go the other way. The cheapest, non long life, Philips osram you can find. The LL bulbs use a thicker filament. The thicker filament then runs a little cooler, but it also ever so slightly reduces sharpness of focus. The fancy bulbs burn hotter, like the non-LL, and then they ever so slightly may shift the filament placement in hopes of adjusting the focal point, from what I understand. For this reason, one person’s success will be different than another...l for a lot of $.

Sylvania xtravision gets my vote i had the basic and silverstar and the xtravision bulbs last the longest and give out a good amount of light.

Don't care for any kind of LED light DOT approved or not.

I use the Hella long life or Phillips MasterDuty. Both these bulbs last a long time, I don't like changing bubs on some of my car, removing battery, air box, lower bumper cover or partially removing the inner fender well liner, they are all a PITA at 8pm in the middle of winter.

Phillips Vision Plus or Hella Long Life in the 240s

Replaced every fall at the time change. Yearly maintenance item.

The headlight lens get a coat of wax at least once a month.

Last edited:
Sylvia Xtravision gets my vote. These should have been factory installed on cars with halogen bulbs but the manufacturers would rather save $.10 per car and use the longlife (LL) bulbs that aren’t as bright.

For anyone complaining about poor headlights on a halogen equipped vehicle, give the Xtravision bulbs a try.

I’ve never tried the PhilipsPlus bulbs, but they might be worth trying out based on the recommendations I’m seeing in this thread

I've replaced halogen bulbs with LEDs in several cars, including my daughter's Hyundai and my wife's Accord. All LEDs were high quality, with small fans to cool the 12VDC to 5VDC converter. None blind oncoming drivers.
How did you pass the VA State Inspection with these......Inspectors state they have to meet DOT spec and none are legal in VA unless they are the in the non reflector type housings. I am curious because I am trying to find LED lights for my 2009 Tundra Crewmax.......any suggestions?

How did you pass the VA State Inspection with these......Inspectors state they have to meet DOT spec and none are legal in VA unless they are the in the non reflector type housings. I am curious because I am trying to find LED lights for my 2009 Tundra Crewmax.......any suggestions?
They’re expensive, but they work pretty good.

They’re expensive, but they work pretty good.

Thanks....I have seen these....They are excellent.....My only problem is my truck does NOT have DRL's and the Va State Inspection Manual mandates that any and all lights must work if equipped with wiring and sockets....otherwise they must be removed to pass the VA inspection. Yep...it sucks but I cannot find any other way around it...Any chance you know a legal way around this?

I use the Philips ExtremeVision and have been very happy with their output and life. Avoid the Silverstars, they are very over priced and they last 4-6 months it seems.

Thanks....I have seen these....They are excellent.....My only problem is my truck does NOT have DRL's and the Va State Inspection Manual mandates that any and all lights must work if equipped with wiring and sockets....otherwise they must be removed to pass the VA inspection. Yep...it sucks but I cannot find any other way around it...Any chance you know a legal way around this?
The DRL’s on those use a fuse tap, the rest use the factory wiring. Not sure how the inspection process would go with some blatantly obvious aftermarket headlights though.

VA state inspection is really pretty lax. The tech merely makes sure the bulbs are on when the headlights are supposed to be on.

Back