Best GL5 Gear Oil For Sequoia Diffs & TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to change the front & rear differential oil and the transfer case oil in our 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 with 107k. We purchased the vehicle used at 94k and the previous owner has not changed the diff or TC oils. Here is what the manual says for differential spec:

"Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent “Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil” is filled in your Toyota vehicle at factory fill. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil” or an equivalent of matching quality to satisfy the above specification."

Transfer Case Specs:
Gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity
SAE 75W-90

I can't find where I read it, but somewhere in the owners manual it stated that for towing/sever use it's ok to use 75w-90 in the differentials. Thoughts?

What do you guys recommend? I've used M1 in my GM trucks. My neighbor uses and swears by Royal Purple. I've also heard Red Line is great. I know Amsoil is good stuff, I'd just rather deal with readily available oil. I know M1 and RP is at my auto parts store down the street. There is a shop a few miles away that stocks RL.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Can't go Wrong with Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil 1. Pick the cheapest.

I would think a GL5 in 75w-90 would be fine for all 3?

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
Originally Posted By: montero1
Can't go Wrong with Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil 1. Pick the cheapest.

I would think a GL5 in 75w-90 would be fine for all 3?

Yep. No problem. There's nothing magical going in those parts that need special treatment.

Need to change the front & rear differential oil and the transfer case oil in our 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 with 107k. We purchased the vehicle used at 94k and the previous owner has not changed the diff or TC oils. Here is what the manual says for differential spec:

"Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent “Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil” is filled in your Toyota vehicle at factory fill. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil” or an equivalent of matching quality to satisfy the above specification."

Transfer Case Specs:
Gear oil API GL-5
SAE 75W-90

I can't find where I read it, but somewhere in the owners manual it stated that for towing/sever use it's ok to use 75w-90 in the differentials. Thoughts?

What do you guys recommend? I've used M1 in my GM trucks. My neighbor uses and swears by Royal Purple. I've also heard Red Line is great. I know Amsoil is good stuff, I'd just rather deal with readily available oil. I know M1 and RP is at my auto parts store down the street. There is a shop a few miles away that stocks RL.

My car calls for the same gear oil, but I use the 75w-90 in it. I found it to be much cheaper and easier to find. Toyota puts the super light weight stuff in it at the factory to boost their mpg average. MPG is the name of the game now...it's effecting gear oil weights, oil weight, tranny fluid...you name it.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

Transfer Case Specs:
Gear oil API GL-5
SAE 75W-90

My car calls for the same gear oil, but I use the 75w-90 in it. I found it to be much cheaper and easier to find. Toyota puts the super light weight stuff in it at the factory to boost their mpg average. MPG is the name of the game now...it's effecting gear oil weights, oil weight, tranny fluid...you name it.

That worries me a bit.. are they sacrificing longevity for MPG's? I would rather loose a 1/10 in MPGs for durability. They have to meet certain fleet mpg standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back