Best filter for seldom-used vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an old cargo van that is used 3-4 times a year, or when we need to haul over-sized items and go to the dump. It gets driven maybe 500-1,000 miles a year. It uses a bit of oil, so we dump new oil when we need to go somewhere, and don't frequently do a full change.

I worry about the filter media sitting in oil for a long time. Are there concerns that it will disintegrate? There's a plain filter and conventional oil in it now.. Would a synthetic filter be a wise investment?

Originally Posted By: spavel6
We have an old cargo van that is used 3-4 times a year, or when we need to haul over-sized items and go to the dump. It gets driven maybe 500-1,000 miles a year. It uses a bit of oil, so we dump new oil when we need to go somewhere, and don't frequently do a full change.

I worry about the filter media sitting in oil for a long time. Are there concerns that it will disintegrate? There's a plain filter and conventional oil in it now.. Would a synthetic filter be a wise investment?

3 or 4 times a year/ 500-1000 miles a year. thats 150 to 250 miles per trip.. so engine gets good heat cycles.

If it were mine i would change it right before its longest sitting period once per year with whatever is cheapest. Since you said its using oil..another vote for cheapest combo that you can come up with.

You should do a full change instead of just topping off.

Spend $20 and protect your investment.

If it was mine, I'd buy a Napa Platinum. It's synthetic, wire backed, it holds lots of dirt, won't fall apart, and it enables a high rate of oil flow when you start this occasional beast up.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Cheapest purolator would do fine

+1 It's a beater, save your money. Change the filter when you change the oil, every 3-4 years at the rate you're going. Keep the oil level topped off, it will be fine.

I read "old", "1000 miles per year", "high oil consumption"...I don't think it matters which oil filter.

Change oil and filter once a year.

A synthetic filter won't break down like a cellulose filter but if you choose to go synthetic you should leave it on until it reaches its mileage mark and not dump it by time. Grab a Fram Ultra and leave it on for 15k miles regardless of time. You could even change the oil and leave the filter.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I'd think about using a Fram Ultra or Napa Platinum filter and changing it every other year.

You could do this. The Fram TG would be another good choice.. Plus its cheaper. You could even go every 3 years.. The Ultra's and XP's media is synthetic and the TG's is a blend. Both will hold up very well compared to paper cellulose. (Not that cellulose doesn't hold up well.) Cost wise it would be about the same or less than an entry level jobber filter depending on how long you run it.

If this isn't your style, I like the WIX entry level filters. Very stout IMO.

Last edited:
I think the last time the filter was changed was around 2009. Last year, the van probably saw 200 miles of service, if that.

From the responses, it sounds like the likelihood of the filter crumbling is low..

Originally Posted By: spavel6
From the responses, it sounds like the likelihood of the filter crumbling is low..

Exactly. Folks here have cut and posted many conventional filters packed with sludge and stiff nitrile rubber ADBVs.

Speaking of which, cut open your current filter and see how its holding up.

I would run a Fram ULTRA for 3 years or so...

Personally, I enjoy maintaining beater cars and keeping the on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back