Best crankcase cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, what is the best crankcase cleaner...diesel oil, commercial cleaners sold for the purpose, ATF or what???
spankme2.gif

Do not use ATF. Auto-rx is good.

If you want to do a quick flush, try to skip the harsh stuff. MMO is a OK product to use for a quick flush.

in a metal container, mix one part gasoline and one part Styrofoam, mix well. Add to crankcase and enjoy!

Just kidding, that's one of the internet recipes for napalm!

I too am an Amsoil Flush advocate. Disclaimer: Yes, as long as the engine isn't too dirty, in which case it may choke on its own vomit.

I'm running Auto Rx in my 97 Subaru with 193k miles on it now. I'll do two treatments because of the high mileage. I did an oil analysis before adding, and will send out for oil analysis after the first and second treatment to see if anything changes. My mileage has also be lowering, so we'll see if that improves, too.

To be honest, with out a tear down there really is no way to know if you, me or any one even needs to use these products. It makes me feel good putting a bottle of the "good" stuff in there with the number of miles I have. Whether it is even necessary is highly debatable! With me, peace of mind always wins : )

Last edited:
I prefer the diesel oil over flushes, however I have never tried the Auto-RX. One good things about the diesel is you can get a full OCI out of it, you could run 3 OCI of diesel oil, and at least be none the worse. I prefer Shell Rotella T, it is an outstanding oil, if they made that oil in a 0/5w-20 in the exact same package as the 5w-40 I would be very happy.

For slow, more gentle cleaning, aside from Auto-RX which some here dearly love, the other options would be Rislone (which I've never used) and CD2 "Oil Detergent" when added to fresh oil. I have used CD2 with good results...

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
what happened to the guy who said to drain oil, put in a gallon or more of diesel fuel, not oil, in the sump and let it sit overnight?

Ive heard of people putting diesel in their tractor's gearboxes/trannies to clean them out, but never heard of that being used in a car engine.

Oh..there is!
I´ve had a friend whos father who was a lumber trucker/ owner always filled his volvo with diesel and let it idle for a couple minutes.(volvo b20-73). He did drain it from oil first but didnt change the filter. Then drained it and filled oil and changing filter. When i opened the engine at 300 0000 km´s it was the cleanest "red"volvo ive ever seen. The engine failed due to a teenager´s driving style(like how fast will it go on first downhill!) so i can´t blame the diesel. This was in -82 so there usually was a lot of grime in em when they were opened.

Diesel fuel is a poor solvent. I've scrubbed lots of sludged and carboned parts, and diesel is my last choice. I'd NEVER run an engine for even a second with anthing except engine oil in it.

The strong solvents...Amsoil engine flush, Seafoam, etc...mainly just dilute the oil so a bit more drains out before changing to a new type of oil. Using any of them for a 15 minute idle won't cut any real sludge or carbon. Using any of them any more than this may result in greatly reduced lube protection from the greatly thinned oil.

Diesel engine lube oil has slightly more detergents and much more dispersants than gasoline engine oil. It does not clean much, if any, and very, very slowly.

Auto-Rx works very well if you follow the directions exactly. I've used it and will use it again in the future when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back