Best code reader slash scan tool

Just wondering what you guys are using and why?

I have a Snap On that breaks all the time. Never in warranty when I send it in. Hurts when you get hit for $1800 each time x 3 so far.

My Autel's are hit and miss.

Who has that Blue Driver? It looks pretty good especially for a hundred bucks.

My best so far are the factory OEM scan tools. Never let me down.......

This question keeps coming up and it's like asking what's the best sailboat?

It depends on your needs and how much value is delivered.

I like Torque Pro with a bluetooth dongle because hackers are figuring out PIDs for cars like the 2nd gen prius and allowing the software to expand its capabilities, for free.

Innova likes to sprinkle abilities in at different price points so you feel obligated to buy a new tool every interval to solve some new emergent problem the old one can't handle.

Reactions: D60
I used blue driver for a number of years. Very good price point. But eventually I upgraded to a scan tool that can read Toyota/Lexus transmission fluid temperatures. Think about your use cases. I sold the blue driver on eBay for approx $70.

I used blue driver for a number of years. Very good price point. But eventually I upgraded to a scan tool that can read Toyota/Lexus transmission fluid temperatures. Think about your use cases. I sold the blue driver on eBay for approx $70.
Not sure how many years they go back but you can read Toyota ATF temperatures with the $20 bluetooth readers and a free Android app. Worked on my 2015 Camry.

Anyone else feel "Code Readers" should be in the Tool Forum. That may be why this topic keeps coming up so much

I have a Snap On that breaks all the time. Never in warranty when I send it in. Hurts when you get hit for $1800 each time x 3 so far.

Look at AutoEnginuity. It needs a phone or better a laptop. You can buy manufacturer specific extras. It's bidirectional.

Best is to use manufacturer software, Though my Autel Elite, Snap-on Solus Ultra, & HP-Tuners covers 80% of what I do.
My Tech 2 covers another 10%.
It's the last 10%....That's when I need manufacturer level software.

The perfect "jack of all trade" scan tool doesn't exist.

Autel tends to be the most complete. My IM608pro is my first grab tool. I also have a Tech 1, Tech 2, GDS 2 with MDI and MDI2, Ford NGS, IDS/FDRS, DRB3, Witech with a legit pod, Mastertech, Techstream, HDS/iHDS, ViDA, SSM2, VCDS, Bosch ADS325, Snapon modis and Snapon verus as well as a few locksmith tools.

AutoEnginuity is a scam and a PITA with their security dongle. There are WAY better options for laptop/Android (I don't think AE can even do smartphones).

The interface is clunky and crude and they're REALLY REALLY concerned about counterfeits to where they include a note saying if you have a problem don't bother us - you've just got fake software.

I have AE with the full GM package. I hate it. Never use it. Total waste of $400+ (and that was years ago, I don't know about today's cost)

Just trying to save consumers money and headache. Seriously, look elsewhere - you'll be glad you did

I use both Blue Driver and Torque Pro with an inexpensive Bluetooth OBDII dongle. For some things, Blue Driver is easier to use, but when I need to dig deeper than the surface in order to get more information, I use Torque Pro.

Between the two, I have not needed anything else to date.

And just remember all, every code reader slash scan tool IS bi-directional. Don't care if it costs 4 dollars or 4 million. All are bi-directional.

You plug in. You request all codes (your transmit command to the reader). Your toy gives you back (receive from toy) your codes.

For overall usability and scanning, whatever the latest high line OBDLink wireless adapter is (MX/MX+)

You'll get the OBDLink app, which is decent, and your open to Torque Pro which is shockingly good for it's price

Otherwise, you'll want to go speciality

VAG-COM for VW family stuff, FORScan for FLM and related platforms

Cheap knockoff Techstreams aren't great for live data, but for code reading/key programing/ABS bleeding they'll get you through for cheap

Carly is popular with the Euro crowds (BMW/Mercedes)

If your talking width of coverage for the dollar, the low end Launch tools (meh) or the Autel lineup (competitive 🤔) are probably your best bets

I forgot to mention that with the particular Bluetooth ODBII dongle I use:

Using a terminal emulator, one can send commands to various devices and control them being on or off for testing purposes (for example the EVAP Vent Solenoid). I have not done it but I know a gentleman who does and uses it regularly to test different systems to map things out in his vehicles.

Back