Best "Classic" Mercedes-Benz for daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the 'soul' of my my first '88 528e. They were a step up in reliability from my AMC Grand Wags. By 2007, though they were done. I drove the last one til 2017. They were the ultimate commuter car. My '16 Camrys are faster, quieter and get 10 MPG more. But they have the soul of a freaken washing machine. :cool:

A W124 300D 2.5 Turbo was the longest of any car I drove. 23YO and was running great, just starting to have plastic trim and body pieces issues and clunking in the diff. 348k miles.
My W123 was extremely easy to maneuver in town and the easiest to park of all the many cars I've driven. At parking speeds it turned on a dime.

I'm a big fan of old Mercedes and have owned a couple W123's over the years but I'm not going to pretend they have great handling. Old Benz's were designed to be luxury cars of the well to do, cars that got you there in comfort and style. There's also technological reason for the not so great handling as Mercedes hung on to recirculating-ball steering for a long time before going to rack and pinion and the steering boxes tend to get loose over time. Suspension and tire choices and limitations of the day are also an issue, it's hard to get razor sharp steering when you're rolling on OE size P195/70R14 tires.

My W123 was extremely easy to maneuver in town and the easiest to park of all the many cars I've driven. At parking speeds it turned on a dime.
I do remember just how incredibly tight-turning our 1977 300D was. Not a super-long wheelbase, and with no half-shafts + Benz's very sharp-turning frt wheels an incredibly maneuverable car for its size. And wonderful visibility too.

When those frt wheels are at full-lock do you ever see how much caster the frt end has. They lean 'way over...

I was wrong, the 300 SEL W126 WAS avail in Europe with a 5MT! See the following... and if u like, read the comments from the beginning...

This car was federalized, hence US spec headlamps. Note that they used Gen 1 US lamps, not Gen 2... Not the best, but...

I'd sure be happy with one...

So ur saying post '85 W126's are more rust resistant? I wonder if they went to double galvanized sheet metal...
I’ve heard that but never independently validated it. I do see lots of no rust later model cars though, while the 617 models almost all have rust bubbles in some spot (lower corners or rear windshield is common).

Funny you mention that... my current daily driver is a 2006 Grand Marquis... but it will not last forever... hence the search for something a little different, with a little "style"... but my love for the Panther runs deep...

I'm going to go out on a limb here: 2003 Mercury Marauder

Sure, there's some appeal to a classic MB... but let's be real: it's not practical as a DD anymore. A weekend driver? Sure, but nothing more.

OTOH, short of having a manual (which is not an impossible task in a Panther), the Marauder is basically THE Panther to have. 2003 is the desirable year, it has all the content that was deleted on the '04 models. Not to mention, given the current market, you aren't going to lose money on it even while adding miles.

I bought a 94' E420 last June for $2300 w/180k that had been sitting for the majority of two years prior... I have driven it as my main daily driver since with no fuss and minimal work. It doesn't even have 2nd gear (bought it that way knowing I would manual swap it) and it still doesn't care, just does it's job... If you get the right example, there is no reason they cannot be daily driven easily. Being mechanically savvy doesn't hurt in all reality of course, and if you go further back than the W123 it may be hard to find certain parts but can be done. The M119 is even the most fuel efficient of my fleet comparing to two M113 and an M156.

I bought a 94' E420 last June for $2300 w/180k that had been sitting for the majority of two years prior... I have driven it as my main daily driver since with no fuss and minimal work. It doesn't even have 2nd gear (bought it that way knowing I would manual swap it) and it still doesn't care, just does it's job... If you get the right example, there is no reason they cannot be daily driven easily. Being mechanically savvy doesn't hurt in all reality of course, and if you go further back than the W123 it may be hard to find certain parts but can be done. The M119 is even the most fuel efficient of my fleet comparing to two M113 and an M156.
Yah, this is all true. I bought the Borman 6 with 150k miles and drove it to 350K before I tried to repeat the process with another 528e twice. It got harder with each one. I aged out as well as the cars. Changing oil and filters on the Camrys is about all I want to do. As tempting as a low miles garage queen is, they get worn out from sitting. AMHIK

I'm going to go out on a limb here: 2003 Mercury Marauder

Sure, there's some appeal to a classic MB... but let's be real: it's not practical as a DD anymore. A weekend driver? Sure, but nothing more.

OTOH, short of having a manual (which is not an impossible task in a Panther), the Marauder is basically THE Panther to have. 2003 is the desirable year, it has all the content that was deleted on the '04 models. Not to mention, given the current market, you aren't going to lose money on it even while adding miles.

My goodness has the value of these cars shot up that much? I own an 04 that I bought in 2018 with 70k miles for 13k. Mine has the sunroof, factory subwoofer, and rear spoiler. What desirable options were available in 03 that weren’t in 04?

As for the OP while these are cool cars, I wouldn’t recommend it for comfort. I too am 6’5 and 290 lbs with LONG legs. For a car this size it really lacks interior room. I always feel like I wish the front seat went back a couple more inches.

My goodness has the value of these cars shot up that much? I own an 04 that I bought in 2018 with 70k miles for 13k. Mine has the sunroof, factory subwoofer, and rear spoiler. What desirable options were available in 03 that weren’t in 04?

As for the OP while these are cool cars, I wouldn’t recommend it for comfort. I too am 6’5 and 290 lbs with LONG legs. For a car this size it really lacks interior room. I always feel like I wish the front seat went back a couple more inches.

Love to see another Marauder owner! While I no longer have mine, I will always have fond memories!

To answer your question, it's really not so much a matter of "options" as it is what standard equipment Ford deleted for the '04 year. A few that immediately come to mind:

Deletion of power fuel door release
Deletion of map pockets on leading edge of front seat bottom
Exposed speaker grilles on rear deck vs. carpet
Deletion of auto park-brake release when shifted into gear
Space saver vs. matching (unpolished) full size spare

Love to see another Marauder owner! While I no longer have mine, I will always have fond memories!

To answer your question, it's really not so much a matter of "options" as it is what standard equipment Ford deleted for the '04 year. A few that immediately come to mind:

Deletion of power fuel door release
Deletion of map pockets on leading edge of front seat bottom
Exposed speaker grilles on rear deck vs. carpet
Deletion of auto park-brake release when shifted into gear
Space saver vs. matching (unpolished) full size spare

Good stuff to know!

I miss the 'soul' of my my first '88 528e. They were a step up in reliability from my AMC Grand Wags. By 2007, though they were done. I drove the last one til 2017. They were the ultimate commuter car. My '16 Camrys are faster, quieter and get 10 MPG more. But they have the soul of a freaken washing machine. :cool:
My 1987 535is was one of my favorite BMWs. E28s are magic.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this...I would get a w126 300sd...and convert it to a Euro 5 speed manual transmission.
a w126 300sd in good condition could probably go around for usd 10k and importing a 5 speed euro manual transmission from a w123 or w124 300d and getting someone to convert it would be maybe another usd 10k. For usd 20k you could get a classic benz with gets 25+mpg and that diesel om617 are half a million, million mile engines if maintained properly, so probably have a car for at least another 20 years, usd1000 a year for a car beats those usd600 monthly car payments.

I’ll probably daily drive this.

9009A012-67AC-4F44-BCF4-8F22B8B63BC2.jpeg

The only Mercedes I ever liked and ever would want is the C111.

The C111 is made of pure upobtanuim, depending on sources Mercedes made just 14 or 16 test cars and 9 or 11 survive with none being sold to the public. Even the super rare and valuable Porsche 959 is merely kinda rare in comparison to the C111.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back