best break in oil for a SBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a 383 SBC to put into a 93 S10 and was wondering what some good break-in oils are? I know I will want to run a dino oil for the first couple changes and I'd assume I'd want somthing with a high moly content. I plan to change the oil 3 times in the first 1000 miles (after the cam break in, at 500 and at 1000) after that I plan on running Schaeffer Supreme 7000. what do you guys think? and what weight should I use? It will mostly be street driven (with the occasional visit to the track). It wont see many, if at all, days below 50.

Thanks,
Jeff.

I usually start my new motors up on HD30 and run them at about 2000rpm for 20 minutes to run in the cam then dump the oil and change the filter. The run in is not needed on a roller motor but I still do the 20 minute run and drain to get any junk out of the motor. Then refill with HD30 and drive it like you intend to drive it for another 500 miles or so. Just avoid any long trips on the freeway for the first 100 miles or so. Then fill it with your favorite flavor and it's ready. The GM EOS is great stuff to have in the oil for the first 20 minutes and the 500 mile OCI. If the bores aren't to rough the rings will seat as soon as the motor is started.

[ March 14, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: KW ]

I have allways used 10w30 to break em in. Change after initial breakin, then after 500miles....1000 miles 2000 miles and change to synthetic at 5000 miles. That sequence has allways done the trick for me.
smile.gif

It largely depends on what type cam and lifters and spring pressures you have as to what oil you can squeak by with .

If you want to play it safe the Shell Rotella straight 30wt is SG rated and has a billion parts per gazillion of zinc

Why not follow what GMPP (General Motors Performance parts) recommends for their crate motors?

1. Fill with 10W-30 non-synthetic and prime oil system
2. Adjust distributor by hand for quickest startup and smoothest idle possible
3. Start motor and run at 2,000-2,500 RPM, with no load, for the first 30 minutes
4. After the first 30 minutes, properly set ignition timing
5. Drive vehicle with varying speeds and loads for the first 30 miles, not using heavy throttle or high RPM
6. Run 5-6 medium throttle accelerations to 5,000 RPM, coasting down in gear to 20 MPH between accelerations
7. Run 2 WOT accelerations to 5,000 ROM, coasting down in gear to 20 MPH between accelerations
8. Change oil and filter with 10W-40 non-synthetic oil and PF 1218 filter
9. Drive the next 500 miles normally: no high RPM's, high loads, or hard use
10. Change oil and filter again using 10W-40 and PF1218 filter. You may use synthetics.

Hope this helps. Some folks also like to change the oil immediately after breaking in the camshaft - the first engine run at 2,500 RPM for 30 minutes.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back