Belt Tensioner on a Toyota??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what that is? I've been having this noise from my engine the last 1000 miles or so that sounds a little metal hammer hitting on something that speeds up as I give it gas like from a stop light etc...I was thinking valve train or something like that but the sounds is always there not matter if engine is warm cold whatever.

Someone on the Gen Vibe board posted that he was a dealer tech and that the noise could be coming from the "belt tensioner" and that he has seen this before where it makes a metallic rapping noise...
confused.gif
Engine seems to be running ok and my UOA's are not showing anything bad....

Anyone with insight on this belt tensioner?

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Anyone with insight on this belt tensioner?

Photo of it.

-

It would either squeak or be quiet. If it made any other noises the belt would be gone.

no belt, no go. (The belt runs everything and without it the engine has no cooling, power, power steering and most important.. A/C!
grin.gif
)

Mine squeaks for 1 or 2 turns (less than a sec) after sitting for a few days. I'll get it replaced before 60k miles warrenty goes out.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make a recording of my motor and post it so you can hear how my engine sounds. Maybe my old ears can not hear what your hearing?

Still trying to figure this one out...

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Try listening to locate the sound
in the timing cover where the tensioner is or across the valve cover with the valve gear.
If you don't have a stethscope try a tube or long screwdriver touched to possible sources to isolate the location better.

A belt tensioner is just a pulley on a spring loaded arm that applies tension to the accessory belt, just as the name implies. I wish I could find a good picture of the belt routing to give a better visual, but look for a pulley that's not driving anything.

Thanks for the advice guys and the pic Bill
smile.gif

My sound MAY be the belt tensioner but the person I have been talking to says he only hears the noise at idle...not when he is giving it gas while leaving from a stop....

I just dread going to the dealer to let them have the car for the whole day(and you know it just sits there for 5 of the 7 hours they have it) and have them say "sounds normal to us" even though you could put another Matrix right next to it not making the noise.

And they say it with a straight face! Almost a comedy routine

Goose
patriot.gif

Could be a VSV noise. (Vacuum Sensing Valve) It is located near the brake master cylinder. I have mounted mine on rubber insulators to reduce noise. (RPM dependent "tick" at idle.

Try replacing the belt. I had to replace my OEM Toyota belt at 40K on my 4 runner. It was making a chirping/ticking sound and I also thought it was the belt tensioner. So I tried replacing the belt and poof the sound was gone. How many miles are on your Matrix?

While change oil today I tried to take a short Video of the engine with sound to show how my engine sounds..

Did not work out to well, you can hear the engine (sounds worst in the video than it really is) but the dang size of the file is 16 mb!

A little (ok, a LOT) too big...

Still making the noise Goose?

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I have a 2004 Toyota Rav4L with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L I4 engine and there is a TSB from Toyota about the belt tensioner making noise after cold soak and dealer will replace with a redesigned tensioner if customer complains of noise and if under warranty. There is a VIN range for this TSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back