BEFORE NOAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
The NOACK test heats an oil sample at 250C in a vessel for one hour in which dry air is passed over the oil to remove vapors. It s purpose was to simulate the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. This test is now standardized as ASTM D5800.

The original amount of oil is weighed before and after the test and the amount of weight reduction is expressed as percentage loss compared to the original weight.

In some case, the vapors are analyzed to determine what components have left the oil.

What was the name of the oil property (or the wording used) to approximate volativity before the NOACK test was introduced?

This question is open to all members.

TEOST? If correct I cheated and used the internet. If wrong, I used the internet.

Consider typical Oil Properties:

SAE Viscosity Grade
Viscosity 40C
Viscosity 100C
Cold Cranking Viscosity
Pour Point
Flash Point
Fire Point
Density
HTHS Viscosity
Viscosity Index
Sulfated Ash

Which of the above Oil properties (or the wording used) was used to approximate volativity before the NOACK test was introduced?[/quote]

Would guess flashpoint...like pour point was used as a cold weather indictor for "W" grades before it was found to be useless for that application.

Thanks to all who participated.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Would guess flashpoint...like pour point was used as a cold weather indictor for "W" grades before it was found to be useless for that application.

You got it mate.

Indeed flash point was the primary method to gauge approximate volativity until the ASTM D5800 "NOAK" test surfaced. Approximate was the Key Word here.

Shannow receives the virtual BITOG Mug with the
thumbsup2.gif
emblem and virtual quart of BITOG XWXX full synthetic oil.

The questions are always tick questions and Shannow is an Engineer ,,Not fair !

Originally Posted by CT8
The questions are always tick questions and Shannow is an Engineer ,,Not fair !

For some questions we limit who can answer but in this QOTD I stated it was open to all.

Often Molakule asks us not to answer.
And I usually won't answer early.
And this one was literally an educated guess without going looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back