Beater hits 100k

My beater hit 100k last night. Bought new cheap in March 2007 from a Pontiac dealership I did business with. They were going out of business so got a deal and with GM credit card points. It was just always a around the house car. Wife drove it for a year,then daughters used it as first car until I got them another car. Family and friends borrowed when there car was out of commission.Its been my beater for the last few years. It's been reliable just add oil and occasionally some front end work. Check engine light been on for last 3 years I think it's a bad injector. Put a grand into it last year to pass inspection it had no brakes, needed tires and front end work.

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_190534305.jpg
    IMG_20221212_190534305.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 49
Guessing Ecotech 4 cylinder? My late MIL had one the same year & all, it's still in the family, happily chugging along. I always put in AC Delco/Hengst filter cartridges, just don't overtighten the cap, and random 5W30.

Guessing Ecotech 4 cylinder? My late MIL had one the same year & all, it's still in the family, happily chugging along. I always put in AC Delco/Hengst filter cartridges, just don't overtighten the cap, and random 5W30.
It's the 2.4 base model but with bigger tires and a couple of safety options. I run syn for the last 10 years with AC Delco filter. Just got a 6pack of some no name filters off Amazon for $11. She starts every morning super short commute

A G6?

Your "beater" would be a really nice car if it were in my driveway.
G6 it is. It's not that nice has a few small dents a little paint fade on the roof. Washed maybe twice a year. I did a full wash and two coats of wax a couple of weeks ago. Used a magic eraser on the yellowed headlights I can now see driving home from work

It should last you for a while longer. This was the brand’s high volume unit and I don’t see too many of them on the road anymore, which means I don’t see many Pontiac’s at all on the road. It’s too bad the designers gave it the profile of a woman’s stiletto shoe. I remember years ago some sales data indicated that roughly 3/4 of individual buyers were woman. Then Oprah famously gave them away as party favors 💀. Here’s to the next 100k! 🍺

Attachments

• 61381FAB-4F2F-470C-B224-21F82D58126B.jpg
    61381FAB-4F2F-470C-B224-21F82D58126B.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 17
  • EA02AC12-AE7A-4D4A-B73F-0A9A82F950EE.jpg
    EA02AC12-AE7A-4D4A-B73F-0A9A82F950EE.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 18
It should last you for a while longer. This was the brand’s high volume unit and I don’t see too many of them on the road anymore, which means I don’t see many Pontiac’s at all on the road. It’s too bad the designers gave it the profile of a woman’s stiletto shoe. I remember years ago some sales data indicated that roughly 3/4 of individual buyers were woman. Then Oprah famously gave them away as party favors 💀. Here’s to the next 100k! 🍺
I'm just waiting for the timing chain to implode I'm guessing the guides are finished. Occasionally I get that timing chain rattle at startup. They are a rare car on the road now .I did see one a couple of weeks ago same color I flashed my brights the young girl driving noticed and was beeping her horn back laughing and dancing behind the wheel 😂. Great to be young and crazy

I'm just waiting for the timing chain to implode I'm guessing the guides are finished. Occasionally I get that timing chain rattle at startup. They are a rare car on the road now .I did see one a couple of weeks ago same color I flashed my brights the young girl driving noticed and was beeping her horn back laughing and dancing behind the wheel 😂. Great to be young and crazy
🤣

I bought a G5 the day after GM announced they were closing the Pontiac division. Got one heck of a good deal on it in 2009. It’s had an intermittent start up rattle since new and currently has over 225,000 miles. It’s not a DD anymore so it sits a lot now.

I'm just waiting for the timing chain to implode I'm guessing the guides are finished. Occasionally I get that timing chain rattle at startup.
You may be waiting a long time. I have that same engine in my Cobalt and it runs good as new at 270K miles.

I've always attributed the occasional noise I get at cold startup to be the pistons in their bores. It happens so rarely I usually forget about it until next time.

🤣

I bought a G5 the day after GM announced they were closing the Pontiac division. Got one heck of a good deal on it in 2009. It’s had an intermittent start up rattle since new and currently has over 225,000 miles. It’s not a DD anymore so it sits a lot now.
I leased a Oldsmobile Aurora under my business . The next Sunday Im reading the times to find out Oldsmobile is going down. I wish I got the deal you got.

My fishing buddy has an 09 G6 with the V6 engine and it's still fairly pristine. He bought it when the "cash for clunkers" deal was on and bought it very reasonably. My Civic hit 127,000 the other day and I consider it a daily driver instead of a beater.

Since when does something considered to be a beater have less than 100K miles in it to begin with???
This being Long Island, the abuse of those lesser miles can really add up fast

Road salt, rust, pothole induced suspension/body damage, severe temperature swings of hot and cold

For better or worse, the LIE is god's racetrack, your in his hands 😭

I prefer tearing along the northern state, living out my Billy Joel fantasies 🤣

This being Long Island, the abuse of those lesser miles can really add up fast

Road salt, rust, pothole induced suspension/body damage, severe temperature swings of hot and cold

For better or worse, the LIE is god's racetrack, your in his hands 😭

I prefer tearing along the northern state, living out my Billy Joel fantasies 🤣

I thought that you had to go to Upstate NY to get that much salt...

Obligatory:

I used to run the olm down to zero but realized it was a really long time to a oil change and using Dino. I lost trust in it so using synthetic change twice a year or when olm hits about 30%

I've never had this dilemma but you may benefit from a timeperiod like 6-month OCI instead of by mileage or OLM. I've always believed, right or wrong, what you do in the first 100k tells the story of the next 100k.

I'm an hour and a half north of you. I have a Freshman and a Junior. We've been playing baseball at Yapank Baseball Heaven for about 5 or 6 years now. Fall is a ok but summer drives are :sick:. Early am games we leave at 445amish and an hour and a half later we are there. Unfortunately, you get traffic punished by winning. Championship games are usually 8pm and in summer, even if you make it through the LIE unscathed, I often get pounded crossing ANY bridge in the Bronx. Often 3hr ride home due to traffic. But you know this all too well.

God bless ya! If your around Yapank PM me. I'll buy ya a beer in between games. Decent spot just north of the complex.

Got a 2009 G5 that is the epitomy of a beater. 169k miles, re-built rockers, broken interior pieces, stains, rattles, clunks…
Engine fires right up, and burns no oil…but every few starts there is loud tc rattle that is loud enough people will look at the car!
Will it let go at some point? Who knows?

Got a 2009 G5 that is the epitomy of a beater. 169k miles, re-built rockers, broken interior pieces, stains, rattles, clunks…
Engine fires right up, and burns no oil…but every few starts there is loud tc rattle that is loud enough people will look at the car!
Will it let go at some point? Who knows?
Yep, mine has a cold start rattle too, only happens maybe one time out of every twenty cold cold starts. Done it since new!

Back