Bearing went bad, ok to re-use oil cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I think a bearing in my '95 Odyssey is either on its way out or is wearing rapidly (knocking, metal flakes in oil pan, Oil analysis says there's a bearing that failed). I'm going to replace the engine with a used one and I'd like to reuse the stock oil cooler that comes with the Odyssey engines. It's part number 15 at http://www.bkhondaparts.com/find-parts/Honda/ODYSSEY/1995/5DR%20LX%20%286%20SEATS%29/KA4AT/OIL%20PUMP%20-%20STRAINER

Is it possible to flush this style of cooler well enough to make it safe to reuse? To me it doesn't look like there's a lot to it, some straight-through tubes surrounded by coolant so I don't think cleaning would be as tough as a plate or fin-style cooler. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Greg

Because any debris remaining in the cooler will be caught by the oil filter before reaching any engine parts such as bearings.

When in doubt replace the cooler. All the manufacturers of the high end race oil coolers do not recommend cleaning them because they cannot be flushed out completely. Ford even says if there is any doubt, junk the old one and put on a new one.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Because any debris remaining in the cooler will be caught by the oil filter before reaching any engine parts such as bearings.

can't believe I misunderstood that.
blush.gif

Thanks!

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/product/Honda/ODYSSEY/1995/5DR%20LX%20%286%20SEATS%29/KA4AT/honda/cooler-engine-oil-tsuchiya/15500-pt6-003-honda/

Wow, it's $250? That's more than I would have expected.

I wonder if the people posting above took the time to look at the pic and see the price?

Without seeing it, I can't tell you too much, but since it's the type that is sandwiched between the oil filter and block, it may be easy to flush out.

If it was the radiator type with long tubes that snaked back and forth, then maybe it could be harder to flush. But since it's the small sandwich type, it may be easier.

It could be worth it to take it off and have a look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
That cooler is before the oil filter, so you can reuse it without any problems.

Oil filters spend a lot of time in bypass mode and when in bypass mode, whatever goes into an oil filter goes right on through and into the engine.

You can't count on the oil filter to catch anything.

Keith

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
A tube type cooler can be flushed and reused safely. It's the fin (miniature radiator) types that are hard to flush.

This is your first concern, and will solve all others speculation about cleaning.

Is the cooler before or after the filter?
Answer:
It is always before.
It is always after.

Might be best for the cooler if it is immediately adjacent to the filter, and after the fact.

I'd be very surprised if the new/junkyard engine didn't come with its own oil cooler still attached to the engine. (Everyone look at the link stephen9666 posted and see what I'm talking about before replying ---> LINK ) I would just use the cooler that comes with the new engine.

thanks for the replies all.

The $250+ price of a new one is a little steep I think but I like the design; no need to run lines and it's all integrated right there at the filter mounting point. I don't know how this design stacks up against a front mounted setup so it might be better to go with that setup anyway. Also tempted to mount a remote filter to add some volume to the system.

The replacement engine would probably have one if I was going with another Odyssey engine but I'm looking at using an engine from an Accord instead (15 more hp by spec and possibly better mileage) and I don't think those generally had the cooler.

I didn't have to look at the price to recommend a new cooler. A new cooler is cheaper than a engine that took a dump because of metal still in an old cooler.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you.

Me, I like to stack the odds for success in my favor, instead of against me.

The fact is you'll never know whether you've removed everything from that cooler by cleaning it, regardless of it's design and regardless of the cleaning method, unless you cut it open and look.

That's just too much work and too much money to blindly roll the dice.

Keith

Thanks again for the replies all.

Ordered the replacement engine today and it doesn't come with a cooler, unfortunately.

You folks got me thinking that if I swap my cooler over I don't think I'm going to be comfortable no matter how clean it actually is (like used underwear?
smile.gif
).

Not sure at this point if I'm going to just install the heater pipe that the cooler connects to and plug it off until I get a replacement, run a front-mount cooler or just forget about it altogether.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Horatio
or just forget about it altogether.

^This^

I recently changed the oil cooler o-ring on my parents' '97 Oddity, although it was a simple repair and the o-ring only cost $2 at the dealer I would have gladly eliminated the oil cooler if I could have gotten away with it without making a trip to the friendly local Pick-A-Part [Tumwater, WA., not Oaxaca].

I believe oil has advanced greatly since '95, and since you're a BITOGer you use better oil than the lowest common denominator public that Honda had in mind when they added the cooler. Also, it seems you're in Calgary, not Arizona, so you probably won't see enough heat for the cooler to pay you back for your time & money spent dinking around with it. IMHO a larger transmission cooler would be a better investment, but '95 thru '97 don't seem to have transmission problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back