Battery time - 2004 Civic Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's 2004 Civic Hybrid, bought new in 2003, displayed an IMA warning today. The dealer determined the battery pack needs to be replaced. The car is 7 years old with 77K miles, so it just barely failed within the 8 year/80K battery warranty. Honda is covering the replacement. 3K more miles and my dad would be looking at a $3500 repair bill or a new car.

This brings the car's warranty repair tab up to about $8000. Honda replaced the CVT transmission a few years ago.

I remember a friend of mine bought one when they first came out. I remember thinking how cool it was but wondering what the increased maintenance cost would be in relation to fuel savings and the price difference between a standard civic... I guess we are getting to the point in these cars lifespan where that question is being answered...

There is a guy up in NY who can rebuild your existing battery, or sell you a better battery, for far less than the dealer would charge for a replacement. http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com

I have no affiliation with them, I just wanted to share the knowledge.

I know that Honda is covering your father's, but just wanted to put that out there for anyone else who may not be fortunate enough to still be under warranty.

Didn't Honda extend the warranty on those to 10 years/153,000 or 157,000 or some other weird number?

Edit: Nevermind, thinking of the old Insights.

And that's why I'll never own a hybrid vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
There is a guy up in NY who can rebuild your existing battery, or sell you a better battery, for far less than the dealer would charge for a replacement. http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com

I know that Honda is covering your father's, but just wanted to put that out there for anyone else who may not be fortunate enough to still be under warranty.

Ive seen enough battery failures to know to avoid operations like this. foreign objects, improper torquing, improper connections, etc. can all wreak havoc on battery packs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ive seen enough battery failures to know to avoid operations like this. foreign objects, improper torquing, improper connections, etc. can all wreak havoc on battery packs.

He has a solid reputation for providing a good service. From all indications, this isn't some fly-by-night operation.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The car is 7 years old with 77K miles, so it just barely failed within the 8 year/80K battery warranty.

Wow, lucky break.

That car has been very expensive for Honda!

My indy mechanic actually took an original Prius' pack apart and rebuilt and recharged it. If you want to save take a flyer on it (obviously you don't have to with the warranty). Just find someone you trust.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

He has a solid reputation for providing a good service. From all indications, this isn't some fly-by-night operation.

Ive seen enough battery fires from "major" operations to know better. Good luck to him and any users though. At least he isnt rebuilding Li-ion...

The battery packs are not complicated and some are quite simple to deal with. There is at least one website dedicated to "how to" on the Honda batteries.

All the cells don't go bad suddenly. Generally, there will be a few that get weak or fail. Replacement of those generally takes care of the problem.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The battery packs are not complicated and some are quite simple to deal with. There is at least one website dedicated to "how to" on the Honda batteries.

All the cells don't go bad suddenly. Generally, there will be a few that get weak or fail. Replacement of those generally takes care of the problem.

Are the battery packs in these cars not made of matched cells? It seems to me replacing individual cells in a large pack would result in very uneven charge rates, heat generation, discharge rates, and other potential problems.

For less money and headaches I would have bought the Civic LX as those cars are ultra reliable and no worries about a CVT or expensive hybrid batteries.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For less money and headaches I would have bought the Civic LX as those cars are ultra reliable and no worries about a CVT or expensive hybrid batteries.

I don't think the Civic has been ultra reliable since the 96-00 gen.

Not all Civic Hybrids were CVTs - you could get a 7th gen Civic Hybrid with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I don't think the Civic has been ultra reliable since the 96-00 gen.

01-05 is pretty good too, save maybe the automatics. 8th gens are also good. I have a friend who has one with 267K, (2006) just replaced the original clutch, pretty much trouble free car.

Not all Civic Hybrids were CVTs - you could get a 7th gen Civic Hybrid with a manual transmission.

My dad actually test drove a manual transmission one because that's all they had on the lot at the time. He decided he wanted a CVT model, so he picked one out that the dealer had already ordered. Oops.

If it wasn't for the iffy transmission, it would actually be a decent car. The batteries should have lasted longer, but it's good they failed in warranty. The new batteries should last as long as my dad cares to own the car. The gas engine and electric motor have both been completely trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back