Battery test

I have a battery tester that checks state of battery not just voltage that I use every oil change. Battery is still original so in December it will be 5 years old. It has passed each time but with me going out of town in this heat I got a green light with warning battery needs recharge. CCA is 730 with reserve of 140 and with test it shows 609. Vehicle starts every time very fast. Would you replace or save up for new one? I am concerned that it will likely just not turn over at the worst time.

Has it sat longer than usual?

I've got a booster in all my vehicles so I don't have to worry quite as much. Yeah I may have to buy a battery that's not my absolute first choice but it beats having to make this decision.

I wonder about those load testers. Doing that once a week, seems like that would shorten life?

If it’s five years old and you can afford to replace it I would. Nothing worse than being stranded and relying on someone else to help you. If you can’t afford to replace it at least carry some jumper cables.

Just my $0.02

Re: "I wonder about those load testers. Doing that once a week, seems like that would shorten life?"

The modern "Load Tester" does not pull any significant amount of current from a vehicles battery when it test it, and is insignificant to a battery.

The old carbon pile resistor loads do draw what ever CCA you select when they are used to test a battery.

But the new testers only place a light load on a battery and find out the change in voltage caused by the small current the tester causes to flow by the load it applies to the battery, and then knowing the voltage drop and the current, it calculates the internal resistance, and from that it calculates the load the battery can handle that will cause its output voltage to drop to where it is at maximum CCA. In other words it figures out the slope of the fall off of voltage of the battery and determines from that the CCA.

Bottom line, while I have not actually measured the amount of current that any of these testers place on the battery, it is not much, maybe less than an Amp, and certainly not more than a few Amps. The size of the wire for the test leads of these would have to be much thicker if it drew a lot of current. So testing with one of these modern ones does no more damage than placing the load of a car light bulb on the battery.

Last edited:
5 years old is not an old battery unless you're in Florida, and since it has passed the test every time I would just keep it.

You said it... in this heat.

Alternators put out less voltage, on purpose, when it's hot out. It saves your battery.

You say yourself the car cranks fine.

Carry on.

This battery tester is making you a hypochondriac.

Back