Battery Replacement - Time Interval

Bought the Mazda new in Feb of ‘16, so we’re coming up on 5 years and just over 78k miles on the stock battery.

Every 6 months I’ll throw the charger on for a maintenance cycle, and every so often I’ll put the load tester on. Passes with no issues.

However, it is getting a bit old and we know that a battery’s performance isn’t always linear. How much of a factor does length of service have in your decision to replace your battery?

Batteries like colder environments. But I wouldn't feel bad about replacing it preventatively at 5 years old.

In my personal case none at all. Of course I always carry jumper cables, and usually can tell if the cranking seems to be slowing down.
also, Wife and I are both retired now, but even before, it wasn't essential to be anyplace at a certain time. Back in the days with young kids etc, we always had a second vehicle to drive if in an emergency one wouldn't start. And back then we had no money, so if it worked we used it.
And I have had many batteries last around 10 years, so if tests good I don't worry. Right now, my 2017 Nissan Frontier is still on the original battery, and I wouldn't think of replacing it. I have found that if a battery lasts through the warranty period and still tests good, that it will probably go a loooong time.

Time in service matters very little to me. Performance is really all I care about.

With that said, I always have a jump pack in my trunk/hatch (mostly to help others in need)

Well if you've got a load tester, then you're all set. Just wait til it fails. That lead isn't that great for the environment either. I've got two old AGM batteries, one is 13 years old and the other is 10. Both still going strong. Got AAA so I can always get a jump and I'm in the city so not too worried about it. I have a battery gauge on my car so I just keep an eye on the voltage, never really drops below 11.5 even in the cold, the car starts to shut things off when it drops below 11.

Mine usually get replaced when I go out on a 0*F morning and the car won't start. I replaced a 7 year old battery back in the summer thinking it was bad. Couple days after replacing the battery it was dead again and ended up the alternator had taken a dump. I've never replaced a battery as preventive maintenance. I've had batteries last anywhere from about 6 months to 10 years so I don't try to guess at when it needs to be replaced. Used to be I drove cars with manual transmissions most of the time so if the car didn't start I could give it a little push, pop the clutch and be on my way.

Bought the Mazda new in Feb of ‘16, so we’re coming up on 5 years and just over 78k miles on the stock battery.

Every 6 months I’ll throw the charger on for a maintenance cycle, and every so often I’ll put the load tester on. Passes with no issues.

However, it is getting a bit old and we know that a battery’s performance isn’t always linear. How much of a factor does length of service have in your decision to replace your battery?
Are you load testing with 1/2 CCA load for 15 seconds?

I've said it before here.........mine get replaced every Olympiad, or 4 years. Never had an issue following this mantra. $140 is an easy spend for peace of mind and reliability.

For me, it depends on the battery type:
Flooded cell = five to six years max. In our RX, it was six years and a few days and left us stranded.
AGM = seven or even eight years is not uncommon. In my Jeep, at 8 1/2 years, it seemed like it was starting to crank slower, so I replaced the AGM.

Time in service matters very little to me. Performance is really all I care about.

With that said, I always have a jump pack in my trunk/hatch (mostly to help others in need)

First off I hope that you have been doing well. Always good to see you on here. Hope you had a good Christmas day.

I have seen time or miles be a consideration....

Because I had a battery fail in my 08 Ford Fusion at 66k miles... It was 4 years old at the time and was the original battery. Think about it like this... It had 66k miles worth of starts on the battery. Which is a fair amount. Plus exposure to potentially a lot of heat in those miles as well in stop and go driving.

When I got my 08 Nissan Altima VQ... In Nov 2012 it had a Interstate battery that was not the OEM battery.

Orginal batteries can be quite a bit weaker if the car sits on a lot unsold for months and months... If a person is fortunate to buy a car that has not sat unsold for hardly no time then this will not be a issue for them. Flooded batteries lose 5-12 percent static charge per month if left sitting with zero charge applied. A battery loses reserve capacity sitting around uncharged which is very unhelpful as well.

If a battery starts giving me even the smallest signs of trouble after four years, I replace it right away. Winters are too cold to worry about being stranded because of a battery, been there done that.

Over the last 20 years or so, I have noticed that when batteries fail, they don't do it after giving a warning like slow cranking as a sign that the batteries are weak like they used to. They just die. So I have been replacing them every 4 years just for peace of mind. Except the 5 year warranty battery (an Interstate) that failed after 3 years in my Nissan 370Z. They pro rated it towards the cost of a new battery but I sure expected more than 36 months out of a 60 month rated battery.
Since I retired I now only drive my car about 3 times a week, and mostly short round trips of about 10 miles. Maybe twice a month I make a good 60 mile round trip. I know these habits are not good for the car.

I bought one of those Harbor Freight combo battery jumper/quick charge/trickle charge devices and about once a month I put it on the trickle charge which I think is 2.5 amps. I notice that it takes about 10 hours to fully charge.
I'm hoping that by putting the battery on the trickle charge every few weeks that I can get at least 4 years out of the OEM battery. I live in a pretty rural area and having a dead battery could be a real inconvenience.

First off I hope that you have been doing well. Always good to see you on here. Hope you had a good Christmas day.

I have seen time or miles be a consideration....

Because I had a battery fail in my 08 Ford Fusion at 66k miles... It was 4 years old at the time and was the original battery. Think about it like this... It had 66k miles worth of starts on the battery. Which is a fair amount. Plus exposure to potentially a lot of heat in those miles as well in stop and go driving.

When I got my 08 Nissan Altima VQ... In Nov 2012 it had a Interstate battery that was not the OEM battery.

Orginal batteries can be quite a bit weaker if the car sits on a lot unsold for months and months... If a person is fortunate to buy a car that has not sat unsold for hardly no time then this will not be a issue for them. Flooded batteries lose 5-12 percent static charge per month if left sitting with zero charge applied. A battery loses reserve capacity sitting around uncharged which is very unhelpful as well.

Thanks, brother. Always good to hear from you, too.

I completely agree with you re: factory batteries not lasting long due to sitting. However, I’ve had some that still last a long time, with good charging habits from then on.

Granted, our ‘14 FXT wasn’t on the lot long, but we had two instances where it had to be jumped due to leaving things on. Both times a charger was out on the battery to revive it to its new full SOC. I replaced it earlier this year @ 78,124 miles.

@DwightFrye Is your car garages? Why not leave it on a trickle charger whenever the car isn’t in use?

I usually change 7 years or so. Usually they up and quit. But my driveway has several cars in it now, so it's not really a big issue if one car decided to not start--either I take something else, or it's easy to jump. Buy a new battery and done.

I will admit to recently changing the last 3 batteries more on age than failure. One was in the wife's car and I kinda didn't want to try my luck there... I've taken to buying from Walmart and at $100 for 5 years of usage it's not exactly that expensive to just replace proactively.

Back