Battery recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batteries are not all created equal. Check out consumer reports. 3 batteries mad by the same mfr w/like warranties will have 3 results. on the delco note I haved worked in the parts industry for 12 yrs and delco group 75 batteries have a very high failure rate, due to how the lug is mounted in the case to bolt the cable up. they fall out of the case or become so coroded the will not function. just my 2 cents!

The Exide manufactured, "Nascar XLT" batteries I saw at Sam's club today were $40, and featured a 24 month free replacement period, and 84 month pro-rated warranty.
dunno.gif

But I have a Costco membership, not a Sam's club membership
smile.gif

Costco also didn't charge a core on the new battery, which I thought was odd enough that I looked it up and apparently there isn't a law in Virginia requiring a core charge for batteries.

You do NOT need a battery with the same cranking amps or cold cranking amps as the battery that came stock with the vehicle. In cold climates I advise a battery with 1/4 to 1/3 more cold cranking amps, which will hurt nothing and cause no problems. The extra CCA's can make the difference between a start and a no-start if its really cold outside.

I had 3 Exide batteries in a row from Walmart and none lasted 2 years. Yes, they kept replacing them under warranty, but who needs that hassle every two years, so I gave up.

I, my dad and mom have all had terrible luck with Exide made batteries. They usually fail under 2 years. Ya they get prorated but the hassle of being broke down is not worth it.

I got over 11 years out of a Delco battery once. I replaced it just to do it since I knew it was on borrowed time.

I have had good luck with GNB batteries. Pep Boys has some Energizer batts that are made by Johnson. I'll be buying a batt for my truck soon and will consider a Johnson.

AutoZones Duralast Gold series battery is about the best conventional battery. I do not know who makes them for AutoZone but the Gold series blows all the other store brands like Die Hard,Ever Start,Advanced Platnium,Interstate etc.... right out of the water. They come with an 8 year protrated warranty and a 3 year free replacement warranty. You will also get a card good for 3 free jump starts if you should ever need them. The regular Duralast with the red tops are a good battery too.

My second choice would be an AC/Delco battery as long as it is not a side post as delco has a bad track record with their side post battery terminals.

If price is the key issue and it does not have to be the best conventional battery Interstate represents a good buy. Interstate batterys seem to work best in hot climates and temperate climates they do not seem to like really cold long winters!!

Diehard batterys are grossly over priced for what you get so avoid them!!!! Walmart's batterys are not very durable so expect to have to take it back under warranty.Advanced batterys also seem to be failure prone and Advanced will try their best to turn you down under warranty!!

I've had good luck with the AutoZone Duralast Gold series battery also. The first one I put in my wife's car always cranked ok, but was weak after 2 years. Would test good, but if you hit the test button a second time, it would instantly fail. They replaced it for free.

I've got a DuraLast battery that's working on 6 years old. I never expected it to go that long!

I was forced to buy an Everstart battery from WallyWorld. The battery in my wife's car died late on a Sunday night here, and Wally World was the only thing open. My wife had to use the car the next day too. Oh well.

I was informed recently that AC Delcos are no longer Delcos, they are made by differnent company, the one that is in bankruptcy, the GM spin off I believe. Does that affect the quality, don't know. I like them also but as you know there are only a few actual manufacturers of batteries, just built under different specs. Interstate is good as well and I have had good luck with Advance Auto. However, they will not install one on my car due to brace in the way of removal.

MILWAUKEE, April 28 /PRNewswire/ --

AutoZone, the nation's leading auto
parts chain, has selected Johnson Controls for its "Extra Miler" vendor award.
Johnson Controls is the exclusive manufacturer of AutoZone's successful
Duralast battery line. This is the sixth time in eight years that Johnson
Controls has been bestowed with this honor. The award, reserved only for the
chain's top suppliers, was recently presented to Johnson Controls in
recognition of its service, innovation and quality automotive battery
manufacturing capabilities.
"The Extra Miler award is tangible evidence of the true partnership that
has been formed between our sales and marketing team and our counterparts at
Johnson Controls," said Dave Wilhite, AutoZone's Senior Vice President of Merchandising.
AutoZone's Duralast battery line was custom designed by Johnson Controls
to withstand extreme driving and temperature conditions and is sold through
more than 2,700 stores in 39 states, under the Duralast and Duralast Gold
brand names.

Interstate's Megatron 850 is a great battery. It was massive overkill, but I put one in my old Hyunai. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the alternator having a battery of greater capacity instead of always sending the thing into a charging state every time you exercise a power window. My new Hyundai has a measly 550CCA battery, and I swear, first time the lights dim with the air conditioning coming on or cycling, it's off to the Interstate store.

I'd give anything to have it back now (the Megatron, not the old car), it was only 6 months old when I traded the old car.
frown.gif

Delco is Delphi. The "Del" in Delphi is from Delco, the P is from Packard Electric, and I can't remember what the h and the i represent..

One more detail to add. Be very careful to turn everything in the car off before you do the batt change. Some radios and other electronics are very susceptible to being fried by the surge that may come with connecting or disconnecting a battery. Hint: Alas, I did NOT learn this painful and avoidable truth by merely reading about it. . .

I'll add that I too have been well pleased with the Autolast batteries made by Johnson Controls. Mine lasted 7 years.

I and a neighbor have used 3 or 4 of the Champion batteries sold by Sam's Clubs. All of them failed within about 3 years. I recommend avoiding the Champion branded batteries at Sams.

The AZ Duralast is a fine battery, and can be dealt with pretty much nationwide if it would fail on a vacation or trip. FWIW, I have found Motorcraft batteries to be very good also; still have the original in my Focus, 7 years old in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back