Battery Charging from Alternator Question

I have been pondering this question, and have searched the internet and this forum for an answer without success.

When charging an auto battery from an external charger it is generally recommended to charge at a rate of 1/10 of the battery size.
So, 4Amp for 40AH battery.
A similar sized vehicle may have a 90AH alternator.

It would seem that once you subtract the on-demand electrical consumption that there should be an excess in electrical output from the alternator.
I realize the rated alternator output is at a given RPM and will vary.
Does the vehicles electric system control that maximum current the alternator puts out so as not to charge at too high a rate?
Or is the system designed such that there should not be a large excess?

The alternator is supposed to only supply as current as needed by the load. Things would start smoking or catching on fire if it were constantly putting out the maximum output. Also - I don't think the output is terribly sophisticated.

Also - a modern smart charger is going to implement more than just a (more or less) constant voltage/current like from an alternator. It think the rating is more an average current/voltage. When my multimeter was still working, I checked the voltage on different smart chargers, and the voltage was constantly changing. Varying the current/voltage is supposed to do a far better job at charging than the alternator.

Don't forget that a car may be using 30A or more when running. AC, Wipers, Fuel pump, Computers etc. So a car with a 90A Alternator may be putting out 90A but only 60A are going to the battery. Also the new computerized charging systems will control how fast the battery is recharged.

I have been pondering this question, and have searched the internet and this forum for an answer without success.

When charging an auto battery from an external charger it is generally recommended to charge at a rate of 1/10 of the battery size.
So, 4Amp for 40AH battery.
A similar sized vehicle may have a 90AH alternator.

It would seem that once you subtract the on-demand electrical consumption that there should be an excess in electrical output from the alternator.
I realize the rated alternator output is at a given RPM and will vary.
Does the vehicles electric system control that maximum current the alternator puts out so as not to charge at too high a rate?
Or is the system designed such that there should not be a large excess?

The charge the battery can accept is based upon impedance of the battery, which is state of charge, temperature, and condition dependent.

So the alternator Is giving a voltage, and the battery can only accept current based upon that voltage.

state of charge and open circuit voltage (Voc) are related.

Terminal voltage is above or below Voc based upon charge or discharge rate, and impedance such that:

Vt=Voc+/-I*R

where I is current flow and R is impedance.

when the alternator governs Vt, and Voc is changing relative to state of charge (increasing as charge increases), then For a given Vt, as Voc goes up, I*R will decrease. So current demand will decrease.

There are also temperature- related challenges to getting The ions to move.

Most automotive electrical components can handle a range of voltage, from 12-15 VDC, and the alternator’s voltage regulator compensates up and down for state of charge (& even temperature on newer computer controlled alternators). If you ever drove an older GM vehicle that ran the internal non-computer controlled solid state voltage regulator, the lights and voltage would actually go up and down while the alternator & engine were running, even when the battery was fully charged. Also, car batteries are fully charged at an at-rest voltage of 12.6 volts, all electrical systems will be above that when the engine is running-basically turning the battery into a large capacitor, smoothing out the spikes.

Don't forget that a car may be using 30A or more when running. AC, Wipers, Fuel pump, Computers etc. So a car with a 90A Alternator may be putting out 90A but only 60A are going to the battery. Also the new computerized charging systems will control how fast the battery is recharged.
I tried limping through a broken drive belt. It had snapped on the freeway, I stopped off the freeway, and I found it was hanging by one rib, but still moving the alternator. At least until it finally gave and I was solely on the battery powering everything. Things started to fail one at a time starting with the radio and the power steering (obviously gone without the belt driving the pump). Then it finally died just as we got to our destination and blocked someone's driveway. But that's when I learned that a battery alone can't do everything.

I got it towed to a shop and they fixed it the next day. I didn't have a problem starting, but they might have hooked it up to a charger. That must have done a real job on the battery.

I tried limping through a broken drive belt. It had snapped on the freeway, I stopped off the freeway, and I found it was hanging by one rib, but still moving the alternator. At least until it finally gave and I was solely on the battery powering everything. Things started to fail one at a time starting with the radio and the power steering (obviously gone without the belt driving the pump). Then it finally died just as we got to our destination and blocked someone's driveway. But that's when I learned that a battery alone can't do everything.

I got it towed to a shop and they fixed it the next day. I didn't have a problem starting, but they might have hooked it up to a charger. That must have done a real job on the battery.
Sounds like the battery was powering everything, at least until the voltage dropped low enough for each item to quit. Not a lot of reserved capacity for those things, especially not as the battery ages and loses capacity.

Deep discharge is hard on the battery, but they can take a few of them. They age out anyhow.

Sounds like the battery was powering everything, at least until the voltage dropped low enough for each item to quit. Not a lot of reserved capacity for those things, especially not as the battery ages and loses capacity.

Deep discharge is hard on the battery, but they can take a few of them. They age out anyhow.
It was a (JCI) DieHard WeatherHandler Group 51 that I installed about 7 years earlier. It lasted through multiple jumps after my wife had left the (incandescent) map lights on multiple times and the occasional time where I left the headlights on when parked. All in all it was in decent enough shape after all that abuse. It never had a problem starting after a full charge. But I think a newer, fully charged battery probably would have given twice the time after the belt broke. It was tough fighting the steering wheel though.

It was a (JCI) DieHard WeatherHandler Group 51 that I installed about 7 years earlier. It lasted through multiple jumps after my wife had left the (incandescent) map lights on multiple times and the occasional time where I left the headlights on when parked. All in all it was in decent enough shape after all that abuse. It never had a problem starting after a full charge. But I think a newer, fully charged battery probably would have given twice the time after the belt broke. It was tough fighting the steering wheel though.
What car was this? On many cars the serpentine drives the water pump too. Maybe not timing belt cars, and I believe the Prius has the WP on chain drive (?), but on others it's off the serpentine.

The charge the battery can accept is based upon impedance of the battery, which is state of charge, temperature, and condition dependent.
So the alternator Is giving a voltage, and the battery can only accept current based upon that voltage.
I understand the electrical system has a voltage regulator.
My experience is that is either in 2 ranges: high (14.4-14.7v) or low (12.7-13v).
My interpretation is:
High - applying higher voltage and therefore current to the battery to both charge it and keep electrical system operational.
Low - applying minimal voltage to maintain electrical demand + minimal spare output.
Is that correct or close?

But your saying the battery determines what current it can receive. You lost me there.
Is the electrical system just varying voltage continuously such that you cannot charge a battery at too high a current?

What car was this? On many cars the serpentine drives the water pump too. Maybe not timing belt cars, and I believe the Prius has the WP on chain drive (?), but on others it's off the serpentine.
2002 Honda Civic LX. Still on the original timing belt and water pump, so we're going to have to replace it. I guess some newer cars use an electric water pump and and electric power steering. Those still might still work after a belt breaks, but then it would drain down the battery faster.

My experience is that is either in 2 ranges: high (14.4-14.7v) or low (12.7-13v).
My interpretation is:
High - applying higher voltage and therefore current to the battery to both charge it and keep electrical system operational.
Low - applying minimal voltage to maintain electrical demand + minimal spare output.

But your saying the battery determines what current it can receive. You lost me there.
Is the electrical system just varying voltage continuously such that you cannot charge a battery at too high a current?
You can't force current into a fully charged battery. There's got to be regulators to prevent that from happening.

Most electronics can withstand a fairly wide range of voltage and still work without damage.

A dumb external charger, in your stated scenario, would quickly get "too aggressive" trying to charge, and you'd see voltage rising into the 16s and the battery start bubbling.

In a car, the battery would get hot, the voltage would stay put in the 14s, and the battery would within a couple of minutes stop accepting every possible amp. It's not so much the car controlling things, though some can now, but the physics of charging a lump of 1800s lead technology. If you just jumped a dead battery it would still be "thirsty", with low impedance, and you may notice a drop in blower motor RPM when the car's idling with its lights on. This would also show, nakedly, an alternator with bad diodes or a marginal battery.

.....Is the electrical system just varying voltage continuously such that you cannot charge a battery at too high a current?

Yes.

You can raise the voltage to push more current through the battery , but if you go overboard you create a lot of heat and gassing, and the result is a damged battery.

A battery decides how much amperage it will accept, at the voltage( electrical pressure) reaching the battery terminals.

How much the battery accepts depends on its size, its state of charge, its health and its temperature. Al these factors influence its internal resistance.

So say one has an alternator which at idle, can make 80 amps if fully fielded and 140 amps at higher rpms.
Say their battery was so depleted from leaving lights on until the vehicle would not start, but otherwise is otherwise still healthy.
Say the vehicle needs 20 amps to power the ignition and fuel pump.

One jumpstarts the vehicle, removes jumper cables and the jumpee vehicle's voltage regulator is seeking 14+ volts. 20 amps are needed to run the engine, and the alternator maxes out at 80 amps at idle. That leaves 60 amps charging current available for battery charging.

If it were a large newish healthy group 27 battery, which is about 100 amp hours of capacity, 100% depleted. it would be sucking up those 60 amps for about 20 minutes before voltage rose to 14.4v. Maxing out the alternator, heating it up.

When the maximum voltage allowed is reached, amperage into the battery tapers. When it tapers to very low levels at high voltages, then it can be considered fully charged.

The best of AGM batteries, cannot be recharged from well below 50% to 100% in less than 5.5 hours, assuming a huge amperage source seeking and holding 14.4v+ the entire time.

Most vehicle voltage regulators, will never allow this voltage for this duration. Vehicle voltage regulation is all about Never Overcharging while powering all DC loads, it is not about quickly returning a battery to full charge.

Idling to recharge a well depleted battery, is very hard on the alternator, but less so if the voltage regulator drops max allowable voltage to 13.6v or less. A depleted battery getting 14.7v will require 3x as many Amps as one getting 13.6v at battery terminals but this is closer to 2x when the depleted battery is aged.

Voltage regulation is everything regarding battery charging efficacy.

The 10% charge rate recommended, assumes one has overnight to plug in and recharge, at least 12 hours.

The alternator obviously can and does greatly exceed this 'recommended' rate when charging a well depleted battery.
Some AGMS when deeply cycled say no less than 40%.
Table 3 shows the minimum charge currents for the full range of ODYSSEY® batteries when they are used in deep cycling application. When using a charger with the IUU profile, we suggest the following ratings for your ODYSSEY battery. Note the charger current in the bulk charge mode must be 0.4C10 or more
page 16

One of the best respected deep cycle AGMS says no less than 20% and MOre is better, always.

Page 20:

Most batteries have zero issues exceeding a 10% charge rate, the exceptions are hot batteries in hot climates and a charging source still seeking/holding high voltages on the hot battery.

Vehicle voltage regulation varies widely, as to what voltage is allowed and for how long. Most vehicular Voltage regulators are quite stupid, and the smarter ones are not worried about quick and full battery charging, but when to allow higher voltages and amperage to best maximize fuel economy .

An alternator voltage regulator designed to maximize battery charging, is a rather complicate device, with one or 2 battery temperature sensors, alternator temperature sensor, and user programmable features to derate the alternator should the belts not be up to the task of spinning it, at 160+ amps of output, or the alternators or battery's get too hot.

The Balmar MC-614 is one such Voltage regulator, It is about 430$ with the temperature sensors. It is almost infinitely adjustable, although the programming interface is a bit clunky. I am installing one now on about 4000$ worth of Lifeline AGM batteries. With this much battery capacity without the features of the Balmar the depleted battery bank would smoke an internally regulated 14v alternator, and the alternator would overcharge fully charged batteries holding it at 14v for hours on end. If a thermally regulated voltage regulator within the alternator, it would lower the voltage so much as to do very little charging of depleted batteries while underway.

Here are some good articles about alternators and their voltage regulation. Mostly for boats but there's a lot of crossover.

A few takeaways, is that most people have very little understanding about batteries and charging systems, voltage and amperage.

A healthy depleted battery can accept lots of amperage.
An Alternator can be a huge source of amperage. The greater the electrical pressure( voltage) difference between source( alternator) and load( battery) the more amperage can flow into battery, upto the amperage limits of the charging source.

Slow spinning alternator might be able to make a lot of amperage and a lot of heat. Idling to charge a well depleted healthy battery can be very hard on the alternator. Underhood airflow from driving and higher alternator fan speeds help keep it cooler.

Battery charging takes a lot of time. With huge amperage available on can get from 0% to 80% quickly, but that last 20% takes no less than 3.5 hours, and likely a lot longer than that. The less healthy the battery ,the longer it takes to reach 100% and unless it is held at higher voltages it will never reach 100% state of charge and all lead acid batteries want to be returned to 100%, ideally, as soon as possible as often as possible, and it is more important that this occurs, the deeper the battery is discharged. take a battery to 10% charge it to 30%, and it will easily start the vehicle, but it is one unhappy battery that is losing capacity just sitting there 30% charged.

100% state of charge does not mean 100% capacity. When new the battery tank might have held 20 gallons, when older it might only hold 10 gallons, but the fill port is occluded, and there is a small leak, so it takes longer to recharge and wastes more in the process( as heat), even though it has less capacity.

A depleted battery is a load, but unlike most other vehicular loads, the load it presents is highly variable depending on the its size health state of charge and temperature and the voltage sought by the voltage regulator.

Often compromised batteries discharged below 11 volts react a bit differently. they will only accept a few amps at most initially, and then start increasing acceptance as they wake up. This can trick the observer of voltmeter and ammeter, or smart charger, into believing that which is not true.

Just yesterday I was brough a 5 month old group 27 interstate starter battery( ~100 amp hour capacity) that is foolishly being deeply cycled, discharged to 8v or less over 3 weeks.. Hooking it to a 100 amp power supply set to 13.2v, it only accepted 3 amps initially, crank it to 14.7v and 3.2 amps. lower it back to 13.2 amps and 2 minutes later it is taking 15 amps, 2 minutes after that it is taking 25 amps, 2 minutes after than 34 amps. I lowered voltage to 11.6v and it was taking ~18 amps, and walked away, an hour later I came back it was accepting 0.2 amps, and I raised voltage to 14.7, 47 amps flowing. too much, lower to 13.8v 15 amps, walk away. One hour later accepting 1 amp, raise voltage to 14.5v 17 amps, walk away.

4 hours later still accepting 4.53 amps@ 14.5v , had only tapered 0.5 amps in 30 minutes. I told battery owner to let me keep it overnight, until amps stop tapering, but he needed battery, so I gave it back to him somewhere around 90% charged. Battery is doomed to a short life, but doomed to a shorter one than if were allowed to keep it at 14.5v for 6+ more hours.

It took 68 amp hours to charge ( Some % of that turned to heat) it to this level, and likely had 100amp hours capacity when it was new. If it were new and 100% depleted, I could have recharged it fully and had 2 hours left over before he picked it up. I could have charged it faster had I not lowered the pressure, but it was a hot day and battery was well over 100f when I took it off the charger. It would likely have gotten well over 120f had I charged it faster and no Lead acid battery should be charged at that temperature, whether healthy or sulfated.

Though high temps do stand a battery chance of desulfating them but @ 120 F stop and let it cool before resuming.

Really, really good post here ^^^^^

You must live off grid... And to have as much knowledge gained and the ability to share it in such a good way is very impressive.

My interpretation is:

The alternator will put out its minimal voltage at idle, typically about 13VDC. As the engine speed increases so does the voltage. It will typically top out in the 13.8VDC to 14.4VDC range. The alternator's output is connected directly to the battery's positive terminal. So is the starter, at least in bimmers. The battery can be overcharged if the alternator's voltage regulator goes bad, especially if the regulator goes bad by causing the alternator to send out too high a voltage. I've seen a bad voltage regulator cause the alternator to send out 18VDC! Another issue is the shorting of voltage regulator diodes. Alternators are called alternators because they produce alternating voltage, just like the voltage in your house. the alternator contains multiple (typically 3) full wave rectifiers. Each full wave rectifier contains 4 diodes. I was troubleshooting electrical issues in a friends old 300ZX. The DC voltage was all over the place: as low as 11VDC and as high as 14.4VDC. I switched my digital volt meter to the ac mode. There was a ton of ac on the DC voltage. He replaced the alternator and his electrical issues were gone.

I appreciate the replies and discussion.

I found this document which seems to give me the answer I was looking for. In the case of Honda, which is what I was particularly interested in, there is a electric load detector which would tell the system if it needs to be in high or low output mode. If a battery was well drained you would think it would accept very high current and the system should be stuck in high output mode. But once it stops accepting a high current you might fall into low output mode (even though the battery still needs an intermediate current). This is likely why the charging system at best could keep you at 80-90% charge which erodes with time.

Back