Barely Avoided Severe Accident Last Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danno
Insurance crash?

You could be at determined to be at fault for rear ending them.
"Hey officer, we were driving at the speed limit and this guy came up fast and hit us before we could do anything ! "
If they had 2 in the car and you were by yourself, your word vs theirs.

Your a$$ would be toast.

I've heard that the travelers and gypsies are big into this type of thing.

In any case you ALWAYS have to expect the "other guy" to be a complete idiot and expect the unexpected.

"Drive Defensively"
became a catch phrase for the DuPont de Nemours Safety Group decades ago I used to chuckle at the phrase as a child, but now I realize how relevant it was back in the 70s and ESPECIALLY today.

I almost got taken out by Prius yesterday. 4 lanes each way including HOV. I'm in the center, doing ~68, Prius is in HOV. I had caught up to it as I was traveling a couple mphs faster when it moves over to the passing lane. I keep watching because I "had a feeling". My FL fender was was just over its RR, still in our own lanes, when it starts coming into my lane! I hit the brakes, to get out of range of Prius' bumper, and lean on the horn. Driver acts like I'm not there and is about half into my lane, now. I keep on the horn and he finally moves back into his lane. No blinkers on either lane change, too.
That tweaks me...the no blinkers thing. Total lack of courtesy. On the other hand, so many drivers use the blinker as if it gives them the right to the space they want to move into. As if the few square inches of a blinking light, instead of the 1.5 - 3 ton vehicle suddenly moving into a lane, is something the driver now behind them is worrying about!

About three times per week I ind myself avoiding deadly accidents. My commutes are dangerous. So many fools and wanna-be race car drivers, texting, drunks, angry people, tired truck drivers, mentally disturbed taxi drivers, seniors that can't do the speed limit, new immigrants that must have never driven before they came here, rude bus drivers, and just about every other hazardous driver type. Freaks me out. I almost got side swiped last night by a crazy lane changer that missed me by no more than 6 inches while going 70mph. Probably high on something.

Anyway...it's good you are ok. we all need to be very careful driving. How many die in car accidents every year? 30k? I'm not sure, but it's a huge amount.

Last edited:
Andre, but you are a 100% safe driver?? No one is and we all make mistakes driving. Most "new immigrants" probably have better driving skills due to road conditions.

Glad you are okay. There are some crazies out there.
Several months ago, during daylight hours, I was driving my pickup on a rural highway and was pulling a car trailer behind me. On top of the trailer was a 1959 Chevy panel van. About a half mile ahead of me, I see a car pulling up on the right side of the intersection and then the car just sits there, not pulling out into the highway. I get real close to the intersection and THEN the car pulls out in front of me and heads to my direction. Of course, I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him and risk having my truck and car trailer do a jackknife. As I get close, I realize that the other driver did this on purpose. How do I know? As I am meeting this car, I could see that it was a teenage kid with his cell phone in front of him taking a picture of the van on my car trailer. He purposely pulled in front of me so that I would slow down (as in LOCK 'EM UP slow down) and then he could take a better picture of the '59 van as we met on the highway.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Same song. Verse two: Yesterday...in broad daylight! Wait, wait....wait. THEN PULL OUT...NOW! This time I was in the right lane, had more time to act, and swerved into the left lane. They also immediately pulled onto the right side shoulder...once they heard the horn.

This is more than some momentary lapse of reason. This is some type of mental disorder: Narcissistic, self-absorbed, oblivious, clueless, dangerous Darwin drivers....but I repeat myself.

Good going on avoiding what most people would not have.

Those folks are around here too. The ones who have to "beat" you no matter that you're the only car in the travel lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back