Bar oil substitutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm converting a echo srm string trimmer to a pole saw.

I don't own 30wt or have any specific bar oil. So could I use 1540 or 5w30 instead? I always have 1540/530/2050 hanging around in large quantities

Good to know.

I have some mysterious oils I don't remember what they are. So they go in a huge jug and we use them on machines/oiling systems. So I'll burn them up first

Oil formulated for chain saws is a good bit stickier than regular oil, but in a pinch most anything will work OK. Id use a heavier HDEO, if I didn't have a bar oil or straight 30.

I was thinking about using thick.

Especially cause it's like 115°f around here

Real bar & chain oil is your best option. It sticks much better then regular oils (tend to sling off), which you can use if you really want. Heck even cooking oil can be used in a pinch.

I guess for the price I'll just get some....

It's probably ND30.it's worth the 10 bucks a gallon

Once cutting up a down tree at a friends ran out of bar oil. To get it finished I used STP oil treatment he had in his garage. I'd just pour some on the bar/chain as needed. It got the job done.

Canola Oil is also a good substitute. It clings to the bar better than standard motor oils do. It's the base Stihl uses in their "environmentally friendly" formulas. Plus it smells a bit like cooking pancakes while you cut.

Bar oil will keep everything around you cleaner, regular oil tends to sling off and get on everything.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
I'm converting a echo srm string trimmer to a pole saw.

I don't own 30wt or have any specific bar oil. So could I use 1540 or 5w30 instead? I always have 1540/530/2050 hanging around in large quantities

Bar oil has a component to make it cling to the chain. In addition bar oil is about the cheapest oil you can find. For a pole saw maybe it does not matter. For a chain saw doing a decent amount of work, get bar oil.

For the occasional use 'consumer' units I'm not always too fussy, but for my 'worker' chain saws I only use bar oil. My 1978 Jonsered just went thru about 10 tanks as I was dealing with a 'blowdown' storm cleanup. With bar oil the chains and bars last longer.

I guess for the price I'll just get some....

It's probably ND30.it's worth the 10 bucks a gallon

I thought by your post you didn't have any bar oil. Of course bar oil is best as it has tackifers in it, and its cheaper than motor oil. If you just what to buy some bar oil, why bother to post?

Blue,

Not sure where your with this...

Im building a pole saw and wanted to see what else I can use for bar oil. Just because I don't have any within and reach doesn't mean I can't acquire some. I think when it's finished I'll end up using 2050 or some 85w140. Since I have a lot of it

Blue,

Not sure where your with this...

Im building a pole saw and wanted to see what else I can use for bar oil. Just because I don't have any within and reach doesn't mean I can't acquire some. I think when it's finished I'll end up using 2050 or some 85w140. Since I have a lot of it

Gotya!

I use 80/90 weight gear oil for bar lube in my Mini-Mac 1 saw for two reasons:

1) I had nearly a full quart bottle in my garage cabinet with no idea what else I would ever use it for

2) The pointy fill spout makes it easy to add oil to the tiny saw's bar oil tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back