Baldwin-Hastings P40010 -LF722

I see you did an oil change on the new stang.. did you go with a MC filter?
I have changed out factory fills early the last three I bought and UOAs confirmed it was not wasted effort. Usually 1500 to 2k miles. I got this one changed at 1600ish and will run it to 5k.

Anyway answer is nope on Motorcraft though I do like the build on them. I wanted maximum filtration but at a decent price since OCIs will be shorter, so that means Tough Guard. 😊

I have changed out factory fills early the last three I bought and UOAs confirmed it was not wasted effort. Usually 1500 to 2k miles. I got this one changed at 1600ish and will run it to 5k.

Anyway answer is nope on Motorcraft though I do like the build on them. I wanted maximum filtration but at a decent price since OCIs will be shorter, so that means Tough Guard. 😊
Yeah the TG seems to be a safe bet. I have an old one on a zt for about 200 hrs.. changed the oil 4x but left the filter on.
Might be a good cut and paste.

I ran one to 12k once on a Chrysler before that was more common here. It looked fine.

OPE filters always look pristine on here, makes me wonder how much oil actually gets pumped through them. You would think that OPE would be nasty.

I ran one to 12k once on a Chrysler before that was more common here. It looked fine.

OPE filters always look pristine on here, makes me wonder how much oil actually gets pumped through them. You would think that OPE would be nasty.
My issue with new vehicles is the oil filter is tight as all get out. Some say they are machine installed and I use a huge ratchet for that with the clamp on filter wrench. Extended ratchet for leverage
All my Fords were bad and everything else.

Every OEM filter I’ve taken off was a mother. They get put on dry, no oil film on the gasket. Another reason not to wait too long to get it off.

Every OEM filter I’ve taken off was a mother. They get put on dry, no oil film on the gasket. Another reason not to wait too long to get it off.
This is the ratchet extended out. Does a great job. Combo setup I use. AM said he broke one but I never did even on a trailer with a never taken off rim in 20 years. My elderly neighbor lured me into that..lol
Great for new cars.

IMG_20230614_223830871.jpg
Screenshot_20230614-224314~2.jpg

This is the ratchet extended out. Does a great job. Combo setup I use. AM said he broke one but I never did even on a trailer with a never taken off rim in 20 years. My elderly neighbor lured me into that..lol
Great for new cars.

View attachment 161286View attachment 161287
Yeah I’ve broken a similar one lol. But sometimes you just get ahold of a bad one lol. I’m convinced quick release makes it weaker. At least it’s worked for you though.

Yeah I’ve broken a similar one lol. But sometimes you just get ahold of a bad one lol. I’m convinced quick release makes it weaker. At least it’s worked for you though.
I have two but my use is for new car oil filters. It also has been great for my out of reach zero turn filter. I don't need to remove the access panel using this combo...

I always thought that was on purpose to get you used to going to the dealer...
You think about it. You get a person that doesn't have tools and a tough filter is enough for them to bail as they may think this is a normal oil change and from then on, they figure I have to have the dealer do it. No doubt it happens.

It takes quite a while for OPE oil to get nasty. I've drained oil out of machines that was 10 years old and it was dark but actually looked okay. I think a big part of it is they get up to temperature usually every time they are run. The sludgy ones I have seen were run low on oil, overheated, air filter missing, and the oil is definitely older.

I drained oil out of a V-Twin mower that had 100 hours on it, and both the oil and filter looked amber colored.

You think about it. You get a person that doesn't have tools and a tough filter is enough for them to bail as they may think this is a normal oil change and from then on, they figure I have to have the dealer do it. No doubt it happens.
Yep I am always a bit nervous on the first change, afraid I'll not be able to get it off and have it start leaking or something. So far though always gotten through it okay. Can't imagine what it would be like if I went the full interval on factory fill though.

Yep I am always a bit nervous on the first change, afraid I'll not be able to get it off and have it start leaking or something. So far though always gotten through it okay. Can't imagine what it would be like if I went the full interval on factory fill though.
Yep that is the fear.
When I was younger the first oil change anxiety usually prompted very early changes to relieve oneself of the impending drama.. Too many new cars I suspect.

I've noticed through heat cycles that filters seem to get tighter over time. I have a set of the vice grips below that have gotten all the tough filters off (so far), but I have had some pretty tight ones on mowers where there is barely any room to get the tiny filter off. Some manufacturers are better about giving you maintenance room than others. I swear some of the big box home owner grade zero turn mowers it's like they drop the engine in and expect you to never have to unbolt anything from it or do any maintenance.

Back